What did the chiefs do on defense?

Miyagi-Do Karate

I don’t mean to be critical after a win, but the chiefs seem to really confuse the Bills’ offense over these last 3 meetings. We got them on some big plays last night, but the offense seemed out of rhythm all night. 

Coming into the game, we heard that their Run D was terrible And that they give up a lot of passing in the intermediate area. But the Bills didn’t run the ball great, and didn’t find success in the intermediate area. Diggs and Beasley were non-factors outside of the Diggs bomb. 

This isn’t meant to be critical of the O— but my question is what exactly were the chiefs doing on D? (Eg, what coverages, how are they confusing us and stopping our receivers)? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

Felt like the Bills barely had the ball in the first half, couldn't get in a rythym. Plus dropped passes and penalties. Some bad play calling.

Second half was played in a downpour after an hour delay.

The Chiefs defense is a trainwreck. Odd thread to be honest.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

Chiefs still did manage to get into the backfield alot and disrupt JAs timing. 

Its something I think we will see from a lot of teams this year. As long as JA can work the pocket and continue playing good football on the rollout, our offense will continue to punish defenses.

• Like (+1) 1

Really need the confused emoji for this post - not sure they did much to confuse the Bills.  

They had 315 yards passing, over 120 yards rushing, no sacks - Josh had 3 passing TDs and a rushing TD.  The Chiefs also got away with several questionable calls where the DBs got to the receivers early and the officials let it go.  They had no turnovers.

I am pretty sure the only time KC really stopped the Bills are when the officials made some questionable holding calls on the o-line and then when they started to stack the line as the Bills went more conservative with the weather and the score.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Doesn't matter, they didn't have Chris Jones.  Game doesn't count.  

-Collinsworth, probably

Jones, Ward... whatever, it doesn't matter.  Their defensive issues go far beyond that, and our OL looks much improved with this new lineup. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t mean to be critical after a win, but the chiefs seem to really confuse the Bills’ offense over these last 3 meetings. We got them on some big plays last night, but the offense seemed out of rhythm all night. 

Coming into the game, we heard that their Run D was terrible And that they give up a lot of passing in the intermediate area. But the Bills didn’t run the ball great, and didn’t find success in the intermediate area. Diggs and Beasley were non-factors outside of the Diggs bomb. 

This isn’t meant to be critical of the O— but my question is what exactly were the chiefs doing on D? (Eg, what coverages, how are they confusing us and stopping our receivers)? 

Maybe the third Q.  I texted a friend and said it looked like KC new exactly what the Bills would run.  Then it looked like Dabol responded in their key leap drive.

Edited by TPS
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Really need the confused emoji for this post - not sure they did much to confuse the Bills.  

They had 315 yards passing, over 120 yards rushing, no sacks - Josh had 3 passing TDs and a rushing TD.  The Chiefs also got away with several questionable calls where the DBs got to the receivers early and the officials let it go.  They had no turnovers.

I am pretty sure the only time KC really stopped the Bills are when the officials made some questionable holding calls on the o-line and then when they started to stack the line as the Bills went more conservative with the weather and the score.

You have to admit it was a strange game, given how the bills O as chiefs D usually play. outside of knox’s first catch, I am not sure we got anything into the intermediate area— which is where the chiefs have been really bad all year. 

I am curious as to what the chiefs did there in terms of coverage to Basically shore that up.

38 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I disagree. The only time the Bills really seemed out of rhythm was after the long delay and during the monsoon. I said it elsewhere, but the Bills score 50pts last night with better weather. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

After their 4 man rush got thrashed, they crowded the LOS and blitzed.  Buffalo got behind the sticks 3 times in a row in the 3rd quarter with some stuffed runs and misses on 2nd downs.  They picked up the 1st on the RTP after the phantom hold, and after that used the backs and boundaries to get free yards.  If you crowd the LOS then you're leaving the boundaries open and forcing your players to try and make more difficult tackles.  

I thought their defense got away with a couple of DPI's on diggs, and Dawkins got a penalty on the drive after the special teams FF that basically derailed it.  Still... 430 yards, 31 points by the O, only 20 1st downs (but several really big plays).

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

YAWN

Im so tired of this BS argument 

33 offensive points 

the Chefs are allowing well over 25 ppg 

and last in their division 

• Like (+1) 1

Did they really do anything? Or were your expectations off? The Bills scored 4 offensive touchdowns, they had big play after big play, chewed up tons of clock on that 4th quarter drive. The third quarter was a let down, but was that the defense, the hour plus delay, the weather…the Bills could’ve put up 500 yards easily if the weather wasn’t a factor

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Doesn't matter, they didn't have Chris Jones.  Game doesn't count.  

-Collinsworth, probably

Jones, Ward... whatever, it doesn't matter.  Their defensive issues go far beyond that, and our OL looks much improved with this new lineup. 

We didn't have milano was that even mentioned lol 

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

YAWN

Im so tired of this BS argument 

33 offensive points 

the Chefs are allowing well over 25 ppg 

and last in their division 

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

Did they really do anything? Or were your expectations off? The Bills scored 4 offensive touchdowns, they had big play after big play, chewed up tons of clock on that 4th quarter drive. The third quarter was a let down, but was that the defense, the hour plus delay, the weather…the Bills could’ve put up 500 yards easily if the weather wasn’t a factor

it’s not so much the results— it is that what occurred last night was unlike any of our normal good offensive performances and unlike Any of the chiefs bad defensive performances. 

All week, the talk was the way to crush the chiefs on D is to have your RB’s run the ball and hit them With lots of intermediate throws over the middle. But that didn’t happen. So, I am curious what the chiefs were doing defensively out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

They still haven't found their consistency on Offense, but they are explosive.  If they find consistency towards the end of the season and the D plays as well or better than they have, they will be really tough to beat.  I think they are still figuring personnel out and adding wrinkles, trying to be more balanced.  That actually paid off on the sleeper hold drive that sealed the game.  That's what they are trying to do - be able to be an offense that can seal a game and isn't over reliant on the passing game.  I think that was how they are responding to what took them out of last year's playoffs - being able to beat teams if they are going to let defenders get away with PI and Defensive holding.  It's been a little ugly at times, but still very effective.  I also think that they are trying to figure out the right combo on the OL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.