Tonight’s Officiating.....

Special K

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Was fine.  When people were bitching all first half about the officiating, the Chiefs had 6 calls against while the Bills had five.  The only bad call was the Morse holding.  No defending that call but they made up for it with the roughing call the next play - which was a good call as the defender hit Allen with weight coming down on him.   I'm so sick of all the posts criticizing the refs. White PI was obvious. Dawkins hold was tic tac but was also obvious.  Poyer personal foul was obvious.  The roughing on Oliver could have been a no call but they are paid to protect the superstar QBs.  

Half the posters on this board don't even know the rules.  People thought the holding call the Bills declined would have been 1st and 20.  

You’re sick of posts criticizing refs Ethan?  Lol.  Seriously?  

You should overlook them and move on- don’t let it bother you

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My complaint about the officiating was the offensive holding calls that were inconsequential to the play with the RB well past the point of infraction.  The Bills got hit with several calls like this (10 penalties, 101 yards) that actually took points off the board.  You can call holding on most plays, some of the holding calls were ticky tack.  

The DPI calls aided a KC touchdown but our DBs were playing close and feisty.  

What made the game hard to watch were the announcers, Chris Collinsworth in particular.   He glorified Mahommes way too much.  He made stupid comments like “Allen was mediocre” his first two years.  He did mention that Allen was more raw coming out of college but that was it.  Allen’s first two years had ups and downs and some of it should be attributed to a weak OL, the lack of any real WR weapons, and him being thrust into the games before he was ready.  Mahommes, on the other hand, sat out his rookie year and the Chiefs were a playoff team when he got there. Totally different scenario and I wish one of these Prime Time big shots could explain this.  What you should have seen in Allen’s first two seasons was a rocket arm, a strong runner, a strong will to improve, a guy that wants to win, and a leader.   Yes, he had rough edges to clean up but that’s not the whole story.  

I think Collinsworth embarrassed himself, if that’s possible, with some of his gushing over the Chiefs and Mahommes. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

I am so glad that we have finally gotten to the level of quality where we can overcome the officials and their inevitable incompetence. The only way this is going to change is if the coaches get one challenge per game that is for officiating only. The game is just too fast now and trying to call penalties from a bad angle on what "appears" to be a foul is just dumb. Perhaps the officials should just stick with egregious penalties only.

This would be useless. They would never overturn anything. The league tried this with pass interference a few years ago and it was a waste of time,.

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It was going both ways, at least...

The worst streak of officiating for me wasn't even the Morse hold/Clark roughing series. 

The worst was the no-call PI on Felton and then the PI called on Tre on the uncatchable ball. That fueled the almost-comeback as the Chiefs subsequently scored to make it an 11 point game.

You could tell at that point that the refs were hoping to get this game closer to the betting line.

I think there were bad calls and non-calls on both sides. However, what frustrated me the most was that, going into this game, there was a lot public chatter about the Chiefs' DBs getting away with a lot of holding/PI and the refs pretty much allowed them to continue that same style of play.

I posted these in another thread and they are just a couple of examples:

2nd half

Bills punt because Diggs unable to hold on to a 1st down catch with, IMO, clear pass interference not called.

796247692_holdonDiggs.jpg.ffd2f89a1f49d9cdc7638270706a5f74.jpg

Bills punt because Diggs unable to make 1st down catch with, IMO, another clear pass interference not called.

1272009900_2ndholdonDiggs.jpg.588bdb156489b5eced1f8eb1d78e9ead.jpg

Like I said, it went both ways. But, IMO, I think the Chiefs benefited more from the calls/non-calls than the Bills.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

There are bad call in every game. What set this one apart is how many times the calls came on crucial 3rd downs....for and against both teams. Because of that, 3rd down became just like every long kick return, where you were just EXPECTING a flag to be thrown. And, it generally was.

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Somehow the officiating crew turned an offensive holding call on the Chiefs to 1st and 5 rather than 1st and 20 in the red zone.  That was cute.

Saw that and was confused because I thought the penalty had been on them, I mean how the ***** does that work.

12 hours ago, Special K said:

......was atrocious!!!

How could such a horrible crew be tasked with such an important game??

They seemed to be as much in the tank for the Chiefs to win as Collingsworth was!!

The league needs to investigate these clowns immediately.

Bills still win by 18 even with the Zebras in the Chiefs pocket....that’s how good the Bills are, folks!!

PFF graded the refs performance a 97%. 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Was fine.  When people were bitching all first half about the officiating, the Chiefs had 6 calls against while the Bills had five.  The only bad call was the Morse holding.  No defending that call but they made up for it with the roughing call the next play - which was a good call as the defender hit Allen with weight coming down on him.   I'm so sick of all the posts criticizing the refs. White PI was obvious. Dawkins hold was tic tac but was also obvious.  Poyer personal foul was obvious.  The roughing on Oliver could have been a no call but they are paid to protect the superstar QBs.  

Half the posters on this board don't even know the rules.  People thought the holding call the Bills declined would have been 1st and 20.  

If you are sick of something then don't read it.  You literally came into a thread about officiating and what fans feel about it.  Don't read it.  Ignore it and read the next thread.  It's like saying you are so sick of eating McDonalds and then proceed to go to McDonalds and place an order.

As for your take on officiating.  I think you are ridiculous.  If you don't see the problem in officiating then you don't pay attention.  Yeah sure penalties are called even by count.  How many first downs were given to the Chiefs after the Bills D stopped them compared to the flip side.  I think you will find that completely lop sided.  Are some calls legit?  Sure they are but there are also blatantly obvious calls that weren't called the other way.  There are also calls that are stupid.  There are also calls that are called and the same thing happens and its ignored.  There are ref crews that call everything different than the next ref crew.  Thats where I find fault.  Officiating in the NFL is ridiculous.

On to your last comment about fans not knowing all the rules and your example... I was one of the people wondering why they declined.  As soon as I hit the submit button I realized the position on the field.  It wasn't because I didn't know the rules.  It's because I was so deep into the excitement of the game as well as being distracted by the GDT that I forgot KC was so close to their end zone.  I explained that in the game day thread.  Stop using that as an example.  It's weak.  

Also there are so many rules in the NFL that each have their own grey areas that not everything is cut and dry.  Thats why people have a different opinion on a lot of calls.  Thats why a lot of calls are also wrong sometimes.  Not every fan has to know every minute detail of everything involving the NFL and interpret it the same exact way to be a fan of the Buffalo Bills.  So when you want to call someone out for something like that all I can say is go F yourself.  You aren't perfect and you don't know everything either.

Edited by Scott7975

13 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Sorry dude but the Oliver call was ABSOLUTELY BULLSHEET!!!!!  The others yes they were calls.....what pissed me off....a 15 year college official here -  was the complete lack of holding by the Chefs that were holding calls against the Bills.  Carl Cheffers crew should be blown up and...well no one should be allowed to call another game again.  They were bad....sorry but they were.

Ok. Next time Allen is hit at or below the knee lets see what the board does. 

Pretty sure they got the Chiefs for holding at least once - Orlando Brown.  

They called OPI on both sides.

The only call I can't at least somewhat defend is the hold on Morse. The flag came out late and Morse didn't do anything. Maybe it was on another guy and the replay only showed a sideline view not from behind the line. So maybe there was something we could not see. 

The DPI on White could have been a no call but White was making a lot of contact with Kelce when they fell. They almost never call the ball uncatchable. 

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

If you are sick of something then don't read it.  You literally came into a thread about officiating and what fans feel about it.  Don't read it.  Ignore it and read the next thread.  It's like saying you are so sick of eating McDonalds and then proceed to go to McDonalds and place an order.

As for your take on officiating.  I think you are ridiculous.  If you don't see the problem in officiating then you don't pay attention.  Yeah sure penalties are called even by count.  How many first downs were given to the Chiefs after the Bills D stopped them compared to the flip side.  I think you will find that completely lop sided.  Are some calls legit?  Sure they are but there are also blatantly obvious calls that weren't called the other way.  Thats where I find fault.

On to your last comment about fans not knowing all the rules and your example... I was one of the people wondering why they declined.  As soon as I hit the submit button I realized the position on the field.  It wasn't because I didn't know the rules.  It's because I was so deep into the excitement of the game as well as being distracted by the GDT that I forgot KC was so close to their end zone.  I explained that in the game day thread.  Stop using that as an example.  It's weak.  

Also there are so many rules in the NFL that each have their own grey areas that not everything is cut and dry.  Thats why people have a different opinion on a lot of calls.  Thats why a lot of calls are also wrong sometimes.  Not every fan has to know every minute detail of everything involving the NFL and interpret it the same exact way to be a fan of the Buffalo Bills.  So when you want to call someone out for something like that all I can say is go F yourself.  You aren't perfect and you don't know everything either.

As I'm not the only one in this thread that shares my opinion it likely is not "ridiculous".

As for complaint about the posts, I was referring to the in game posts.  I dont mind people disagreeing with a call. That's the fun of sports. But posting the refs or the NFL want the Chiefs to win is in your words ridiculous. 

And keep it classy. Telling me to F off is not appropriate.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

As I'm not the only one in this thread that shares my opinion it likely is not "ridiculous".

As for complaint about the posts, I was referring to the in game posts.  I dont mind people disagreeing with a call. That's the fun of sports. But posting the refs or the NFL want the Chiefs to win is in your words ridiculous. 

And keep it classy. Telling me to F off is not appropriate.

Calling fans out because they believe something you don't as if they are idiots is also not appropriate.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Are you implying you are more knowledgeable than half the posters on this board? Your posting track record doesn't support that theory.

Find one factual error post I have made and I will donate $100 to charity of your choice.

Chandler corrected me on the spelling of Seymour Knox and I thanked him for that.

My point of view (for what little it's worth):

• I want to complain less about the officials.
  • Social media allows for immediate reaction to every play.
  • In the moment, every play appears to have a potential infraction if you look hard enough.
  • Thus, most of us find that - especially when our team is losing - the referees miss calls on the opponent while call too many on their team.

The real issue is when there is a double standard. The roughing calls & the OPI calls were pretty consistent. Where things got problematic was that there was a clear disparity in the Bills defenders being able to treat the Chiefs receivers with the same physicality as what they assumed their opponent would be allowed. Unfortunately for the Bills, a few of those calls were made on the very first drive, and as the game went on you might gather the impression that the Chiefs defenders got the message, didn't play it quite as loose, and then got burned on 2-3 deeper passes because of it.

There was also a disparity in the way it cost Bills opps to get off the field (or extend their own drives). That first drive was littered with drive extending flags. Then after the KR fumble there was a marginal o-hold on Dawkins which negated a 3rd down conversion and 1&G. Follow that up with the Morse hold, that was another one that had been taken away. So in that regard, the "by the letter" roughing the passer call was pretty much just desserts.

I've been wondering if there's an unwritten law were analysts and sport show hosts aren't allowed to speak on officiating. I've watch several shows today and officiating was never mentioned at all. Even the most casual observers can see something wasn't right with the calls at the most inopportune times for the Bills. When KC fell behind big the refs did everything possible to prolong their drives with questionable calls on 3rd and 4th downs. It was hilarious and saddening at the same time.

Edited by billsbackto81

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Ok. Next time Allen is hit at or below the knee lets see what the board does. 

Pretty sure they got the Chiefs for holding at least once - Orlando Brown.  

They called OPI on both sides.

The only call I can't at least somewhat defend is the hold on Morse. The flag came out late and Morse didn't do anything. Maybe it was on another guy and the replay only showed a sideline view not from behind the line. So maybe there was something we could not see. 

The DPI on White could have been a no call but White was making a lot of contact with Kelce when they fell. They almost never call the ball uncatchable. 

Sorry dude but in NO WAY did Oliver impact in a dangerous way at all.....Did.  Not.  Happen.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I've been wondering if there's an unwritten law were analysts and sport show hosts aren't allowed to speak on officiating. I've watch several shows today and officiating was never mentioned at all. Even the most casual observers can see something wasn't right with the calls at the most inopportune times for the Bills. When KC fell behind big the refs did everything possible to prolong their drives with questionable calls on 3rd and 4th downs. It was hilarious and saddening at the same time.

Unless it's a pretty textbook putting your weight into the QB roughing the passer call on Josh Allen you're not allowed to say much of anything.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.