Can the NFL move the game forward an hour?

Commish

6 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

My dad knew people who actually made a quite a good living for a while in the days before widespread internet betting on European soccer, because of broadcast delays.  I have no idea who signed off on such a stupid system, but betting time cutoffs were based on when the tape delayed games would broadcast on our side of the pond, rather than the actual time the games were played.  Yes, that means you could bet on the games until AFTER the games were over.  They would simply call up friends in Europe, get them to check the locally reported final scores of the recently completed games, and rush to the store to buy bets before the games "started" on TV here.  They did have to spread their bets around the region to avoid being cut off, but this went on for MONTHS before the powers that be realized how much money they were losing.

I recall a guy back in the 70's when they'd show title boxing matches a week or two later on ABC Wide World of Sports, bet his wife $20 who'd win the fight.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Commish said:

So the NFL routinely delays games for lightening. With the forecast - for the moment - holding pretty steady showing  thunderstorms moving through Arrowhead around 11pm, why not move the game forward an hour, and ensure the game is finished without a delay? Make too much sense?

No.  The NFL has contracts with network TV for the games to be started at specific times.

If done far enough in advance to notify ticketholders and get all the stadium and parking lot attendants in place an hour earlier, it would be silly - thunderstorm arrival in the Midwest is just not that predictable.  If done at the point where the weather prediction is pretty solid (say, 3 hrs before gametime) it would be Chaos and unfair to people who have purchased a ticket based on a specific start and entry time.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

It’s all about the viewing audience.

No way they would move the game up and conflict with the 4 pm games.      Viewership at the end of the 4 pm games and the beginning of 8pm game all would be affected.  It would cost the networks millions.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No.  The NFL has contracts with network TV for the games to be started at specific times.

If done far enough in advance to notify ticketholders and get all the stadium and parking lot attendants in place an hour earlier, it would be silly - thunderstorm arrival in the Midwest is just not that predictable.  If done at the point where the weather prediction is pretty solid (say, 3 hrs before gametime) it would be Chaos and unfair to people who have purchased a ticket based on a specific start and entry time.

It's a front moving through and the Midwest is flat. In this case, it's probably the most predictable scenario for a weather forecaster. 

Not that I agree they should move it up. That's a silly question.

15 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

After all the juggling of games last year due to Covid, especially the Tennessee fiasco it was my belief the schedule makers can do whatever the heck they want.

They can but won't just because it's going to rain. 

2 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Can we just move football to saturdays instead? This whole waiting for the weekend to be practically over to see the Bills play is rough.

Yeah forget about that small minority of IDK 200 mil.who are college football fans.  I’m exaggerating, more of the country are crazy college fans.  

listen, I love NFL on Saturdays in December when college ball is over

before the bowl games.  It will just never like never moving up a game because it might rain happen.

FWIW, I get up prior to 5 am weekdays so I want it over too, but it’s not changing.  Hopefully it’s not bad enough to delay the game.

To me the right approach is to be prepared if the weather forecast is accurate.  This puts a premium on getting a lead so that if the rain and wind kick up, it's not going to derail a comeback with passing.

Not that this isn't obvious.  Who wouldn't want to get a lead in the first place?  The only way this could come into play is coaching decisions on whether to go for a fourth and short, or kick a field goal vs trying for a first down. 

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Yeah forget about that small minority of IDK 200 mil.who are college football fans.  I’m exaggerating, more of the country are crazy college fans.  

listen, I love NFL on Saturdays in December when college ball is over

before the bowl games.  It will just never like never moving up a game because it might rain happen.

FWIW, I get up prior to 5 am weekdays so I want it over too, but it’s not changing.  Hopefully it’s not bad enough to delay the game.

Yeah they wont want to go up against that, I get it. Just mostly joking and venting about the pains of wishing the weekend would move faster so I can watch the Bills play just to be smack in the face of returning to work relatively shortly after.

Hopefully the weather wont be too bad in KC. 

55 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Yeah they wont want to go up against that, I get it. Just mostly joking and venting about the pains of wishing the weekend would move faster so I can watch the Bills play just to be smack in the face of returning to work relatively shortly after.

Hopefully the weather wont be too bad in KC. 

Tuel,  I get it as I live in college football territory in FL as the NFL is definitely second to UM, UF, FSU, and so on, but I’m a fanatic NFL guy.  

I look at it this way.  Friday and Saturday I have fun with the family and I’m single again so dating, and after the gym and church, don’t bother me as it’s NFL time until I go to bed on Sunday.

There will be no precipitation in my living room.  I'm good.  I checked weather.com, and I'm not seeing thunderstorms in their forecast, just steady rain from 7 PM on.  While Mahomes has gotten the better of Josh Allen in bad weather games, Josh has had more recent experience with rainy weather, including last Sunday.

12 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

The NFL would never move the game forward for a very simple reason….TV. NBC would never go for that and the NFL wouldn’t move a game up that starts in prime time 

Yeah.  I need to hear Mike Florio's take before the game so the weather is secondary to me.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It's a front moving through and the Midwest is flat. In this case, it's probably the most predictable scenario for a weather forecaster. 

Not that I agree they should move it up. That's a silly question.

Where do you live? Are you a weather forecaster? 

The Big Picture isn't hard to predict but lets just say the details (where exactly the band of precip will come through, and when) are no more exact in the midwest than elsewhere.

Maybe less so, since there isn't so much geography funneling the weather.  It can easily shift a few hundred miles one way or the other.

Over in the Weather thread, a guy posted a video of a KC forecaster going through the forecast in pretty good detail.  Basically the "middle case" forecast calls for rain hitting KC, but as he points out it could easily shift E or W and either hit the KC area more lightly, or bombard it.

Believe me or don't.  I've lived here for 30 years.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where do you live? Are you a weather forecaster? 

The Big Picture isn't hard to predict but lets just say the details (where exactly the band of precip will come through, and when) are no more exact in the midwest than elsewhere.

Maybe less so, since there isn't so much geography funneling the weather.

Believe me or don't.  I've lived here for 30 years.

I was a weather forecaster in the AF. Don't do it professionally anymore, so it's more of a hobby. 

FYI, the airport TAFs are spot forecasts and get the timing down to the hour.

By contrast, your local meteorologist needs to do an area forecast which requires more generality. 

So if you go to the NWS site and look up the KC airport forecast, for example, it's a bit more helpful in my experience.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.