[Edit] Jon Gruden resigns over controversial emails discovered in WFT investigation

flaz

1 minute ago, mannc said:

It will never be public, but it’s highly unlikely that Gruden just resigned without being paid a significant amour of the money that would have been due.  If the Raiders had fired him, he probably would have had a good argument that they were on the hook for the remaining six years.  And the way the team is going this year, Gruden would have been on the hot seat anyway after the season. So Davis probably ends up saving a lot of $, even though he’s paying out $10 million or so in “severance”.

Resign or this gets much worse for you might have been conversation. I think at most he gets the rest of this season, but I doubt it. Any other profession if you resign, you done getting paid. I doubt Davis is going to bend over backward for Gruden after all this 

• Agree 1

Gruden hasn't changed. If there ever was a "what you see is what you get" type personality, he would be it. The more intriguing question to me is did he rub someone the wrong way about the next union contract (why else focus on comments about Demaurice Smith in particular)? Or is he just a target of opportunity in the WFT investigation and couldn't be passed up?

17 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Resign or this gets much worse for you might have been conversation. I think at most he gets the rest of this season, but I doubt it. Any other profession if you resign, you done getting paid. I doubt Davis is going to bend over backward for Gruden after all this 

I’d have to actually see the contract, but Gruden likely had plenty of leverage.  Things would have been worse for the Raiders if he had decided to tough it out, like Urban Meyer seems to be doing. And my point is, his “resignation” was negotiated; he didn’t just walk into Davis’s office and say “I quit.”

Edited by mannc

40 minutes ago, mannc said:

It will never be public, but it’s highly unlikely that Gruden just resigned without being paid a significant amount of the money that would have been due.  If the Raiders had fired him, he probably would have had a good argument that they were on the hook for the remaining six years.  And the way the team is going this year, Gruden would have been on the hot seat anyway after the season. So Davis probably ends up saving a lot of $, even though he’s paying out $10 million or so in “severance”.

Agree to disagree. I dont think he sees another dime going out like this. Maybe the rest of this year, but that is it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Coach's contracts are fully guaranteed, so unless there is a personal conduct clause in Gruden's contract, the Raiders are on the hook, for 60M+. I seriously doubt, that Gruden just simply 'resigned'.

They arent guaranteed if they resign/retire. Davis now has an immediate and legal out.

You think that after being shamed out of the league, Gruden would then want to go through a public court battle, demanding he be paid the rest of the contract?

Bigoted AND Greedy?!

That is a really bad look. All but ensuring he would NEVER work again around the NFL in any capacity.

Like I said, they may pay him the rest of this year, but no way does Mark Davis (or any owner) pay 6 out of 10 years and $60M to someone who was run out of the league in disgrace.

7 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Coach's contracts are fully guaranteed, so unless there is a personal conduct clause in Gruden's contract, the Raiders are on the hook, for 60M+. I seriously doubt, that Gruden just simply 'resigned'.

Yes there is a morals clause and he likely triggered it. Gruden does not want this to go to any type of trial and have his name be in the headlines for years to come and become even more of a poster boy for this. It’s already a pr nightmare for him and trying to fight for the contract would make it worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

I think Gruden is an ass but how does Dan Snyder still stick around? He's much worse than Gruden

It all comes down to will. Players will walk out, and open season on the ones who do stick around. They'll give you two weeks, and if you don't win with practice squad who hates you. Gruden already won a super bowl and is rich, and just didn't want that fight. It would be funny if he coaches football in Asia or Europe and turns into Ted Lasso.

I wish we had this same reaction to the 70 shot gunfight where everyone walked for mutual combat, the school shooter who just got bail,  the marxist bioweapon lab that ended up murdering more people than the fascists, and the drug cartel which currently enslaves more people than anyone in history. NFL and pro sports champion their issues, Lebron and China, end racism and more social justice. So yeah, they're even worse.

Just now, Rico said:

So if Chucky is just the tip of the iceberg, here’s my top 5 scumbags I want out of the league:

1. Jerry Jones

2. Robert Kraft

3. Dan Snyder

4. Andy Reid

5. Bill Belichick

{ }→ ∞

19 minutes ago, nucci said:

I think Gruden is an ass but how does Dan Snyder still stick around? He's much worse than Gruden

Easy. Gruden cashes checks. Snyder signs checks. Goddell works for Snyder, and all the other owners. And the other owners arent going to push the league to go after Snyder because then they open themselves up (Jerry Jones, Irsay, looking at you)

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, nucci said:

This was mentioned online but basically guy receiving the checks (Gruden) vs. guy writing the checks (Snyder). I do not disagree that the NFL should try to make Snyder sell, BUT the league is an old boys club in parts also which shows with stuff like this. What I do not get with the league and Snyder is a better owner would just make more money for the league and team. It is in the NFL's and the 31 other owners best interest for Snyder to leave.

5 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

What would he have to lose? He is already F'd for all time, if he wants to work as a Coach, or in Broadcasting.

What would he have to gain? He is already sitting on $50M+

The cash isnt worth ruining your reputation for the rest of your life. If he goes away quietly, waits for Urban Meyer to do something else dumb, and comes back slowly and contritely, he could hang out with his buddies again.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They arent guaranteed if they resign/retire. Davis now has an immediate and legal out.

You think that after being shamed out of the league, Gruden would then want to go through a public court battle, demanding he be paid the rest of the contract?

Bigoted AND Greedy?!

That is a really bad look. All but ensuring he would NEVER work again around the NFL in any capacity.

Like I said, they may pay him the rest of this year, but no way does Mark Davis (or any owner) pay 6 out of 10 years and $60M to someone who was run out of the league in disgrace.

As I said above, it's highly unlikely that Gruden just walked into Davis's office and said "I quit."  There was undoubtedly a negotiation.  I have not seen Gruden's contract, but it's unlikely that emails Gruden sent 10 years ago as a private citizen would have given Davis a clear-cut basis to terminate him for cause. Hence, Gruden probably had significant leverage in the negotiations and probably walked away with a nice "severance package." 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, motorj said:

I think it'll be a no go for eminem

Not sure how the NFL can justify any of the three performers given their lyrics, themes and content…but I’m sure they will 

3 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Is Dr. Dre, Snoop, Eminem and others still performing at the Super Bowl?

Asking for a friend!

Yes they will

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Not sure how the NFL can justify any of the three performers given their lyrics, themes and content…but I’m sure they will 

Yes they will

Because they arent hired to be the face of a franchise and top leader of a team. They are there to shuck and jive for 10 minutes and provide minimal entertainment during an intermission when most people tune out.

Plus, Gruden was never fired. He was never canned by someone at the League. He chose to leave.

Isnt even close to the same thing, and the fact that some people here cant see it is scary/sad.

Your guys false equivalencies or whataboutisms arent nearly as smart as you think.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.