report- Empire State Development downtown stadium proposal

loyal2dagame

PS&E came out and (again) said today that OP is the site.  Multiple studies over years has shown it is the most effective and efficient location.  Anyone saying anything else isn't informed.  Went on to say that south park site mentioned is virtually impossible due to space constraints (Paraphrasing their words).  

https://theathletic.com/2917515/2021/10/27/pegula-executive-rejects-noise-about-a-downtown-bills-stadium-says-orchard-park-is-the-best-option/

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

PS&E came out and (again) said today that OP is the site.  Multiple studies over years has shown it is the most effective and efficient location.  Anyone saying anything else isn't informed.  Went on to say that south park site mentioned is virtually impossible due to space constraints (Paraphrasing their words).  

https://theathletic.com/2917515/2021/10/27/pegula-executive-rejects-noise-about-a-downtown-bills-stadium-says-orchard-park-is-the-best-option/

“NEW YORK — The Pegulas are tired of the armchair architects and developers who insist the Buffalo Bills’ owners are wrong for wanting to build a new stadium in Orchard Park.”

They must be reading this thread :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

“NEW YORK — The Pegulas are tired of the armchair architects and developers who insist the Buffalo Bills’ owners are wrong for wanting to build a new stadium in Orchard Park.”

They must be reading this thread :)

Terry? Is that you?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Terry? Is that you?

Sadly, for my pocket book, I am not.

But I do agree with them about the stadium.

”We’ve spent YEARS studying the various locations… The national and international consultants we have hired and the state has hired, let them tell everyone what the data shows.”

(emphasis added)

34 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Why do you believe that?  Where’s your study?   I would bet it’s the opposite If they’re actually from WNY. Fans who are from other places, I could see choosing a road game.  But most of the Bills fans I meet are from the region or have family ties to the region and want to go home.

I don’t even have any family left in WNY, and all my friends have moved away except one (who I have not seen in years). I go back because it is “home” and I love to visit. Before I started attending road games I was going back to WNY to visit my home and see the Bills. When each of my boys turned 16 I took them to a game at The Ralph as a rite of passage. 

If anything, it’s the people in WNY who look for warmer locations to see a Bills game. I’ve been to countless games while living in SC, FL and Atlanta. I’m not looking for warmer weather, I’m looking to go see my Bills. I’m also looking to visit what will always be home to me. 

The poster you quoted has no clue, but is dead set on an unfounded personal opinion. I found it to be a waste of time since a closed mind is not worth the effort. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

“Developer Rocco Termini is turning up the heat on the stance that the new Buffalo Bills stadium should be strategically located downtown. With news that Governor Kathy Hochul is dedicating around $6 billion to $7 billion to the refurbishment of Penn Station in NYC, Termini feels that it’s the perfect time to ask for $2.5 billion – $2 billion for a new stadium at Perry Street and $500 million for upgrades to the KeyBank Center arena. Ultimately, the combined investment into the two sports facilities would create a sports and entertainment district that would be built upon enhanced public transportation measures such as train and Metro Rail.

Termini Calling Upon Governor Hochul To Invest In Buffalo Sports and Entertainment District

8 minutes ago, BillStime said:

“Developer Rocco Termini is turning up the heat on the stance that the new Buffalo Bills stadium should be strategically located downtown. With news that Governor Kathy Hochul is dedicating around $6 billion to $7 billion to the refurbishment of Penn Station in NYC, Termini feels that it’s the perfect time to ask for $2.5 billion – $2 billion for a new stadium at Perry Street and $500 million for upgrades to the KeyBank Center arena. Ultimately, the combined investment into the two sports facilities would create a sports and entertainment district that would be built upon enhanced public transportation measures such as train and Metro Rail.

Termini Calling Upon Governor Hochul To Invest In Buffalo Sports and Entertainment District

Last I checked, Penn Station is used a wee bit more than a few hours on 8-12 days per year.  Dumb comparison. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Yeah so what - invest in Buffalo 

The what, is that it's a stupid comparison.  Invest in Buffalo, yes, I'm all for it.  My post had nothing to do with that.  Don't compare a football stadium to Penn Station, which gets 600,000 people through it a week - that's what my post was about.  Dumb.  

• Agree 1

Just now, Patience said:

The what, is that it's a stupid comparison.  Invest in Buffalo, yes, I'm all for it.  My post had nothing to do with that.  Don't compare a football stadium to Penn Station, which gets 600,000 people through it a week - that's what my post was about.  Dumb.  

Did you read the article? He’s talking stadium, upgrades to Key Bank and infrastructure.

Let me guess - long time tailgating fan? 

1 minute ago, Patience said:

I don't consider that a comparison. He's noting that it's good timing, not equating the projects.

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

One is core infrastructure, the other is a limited-use entertainment venue. I get the passion for investment around Buffalo, but Termini’s comparison is ludicrous.

Both include infrastructure, for sure. One is obviously more important, based on use alone.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't consider that a comparison. He's noting that it's good timing, not equating the projects.

Both include infrastructure, for sure. One is obviously more important, based on use alone.

I do see his point regarding timing. And obviously it’s easy to see his motive with all of his downtown investments.

The downtown option seems incredibly remote at this point though. Unless somehow the other decision makers can convince the Pegulas that downtown is a better option, every signal from them is pointing towards OP.

This isn’t a Vikings situation where the city is actually contributing a portion of the funding (but the stadium is still owned by the state.) The city of Buffalo isn’t contributing anything to this construction, as far as I know. Hard for me to see how city real estate developers or city officials should get much of a say at all. 

26 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Did you read the article? He’s talking stadium, upgrades to Key Bank and infrastructure.

Let me guess - long time tailgating fan? 

Wrong, but not surprised. 

I'm talking about the author of the article making the comparison, not Termini.  The portion of the article you quoted came from the author, did it not?

Edited by Patience

26 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Even if it's interpreted that way, it still doesn't make sense.  The author's line of reasoning breaks down to: "well, you're now spending this money on Penn Station, which gets a ton of use, so it's time to spend a significant amount of money on a stadium, which gets relatively little use."

17 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I do see his point regarding timing. And obviously it’s easy to see his motive with all of his downtown investments.

The downtown option seems incredibly remote at this point though. Unless somehow the other decision makers can convince the Pegulas that downtown is a better option, every signal from them is pointing towards OP.

This isn’t a Vikings situation where the city is actually contributing a portion of the funding (but the stadium is still owned by the state.) The city of Buffalo isn’t contributing anything to this construction, as far as I know. Hard for me to see how city real estate developers or city officials should get much of a say at all. 

Do city residents and developers not pay taxes to the state of NY?

7 minutes ago, Patience said:

Even if it's interpreted that way, it still doesn't make sense.  The author's line of reasoning breaks down to: "well, you're now spending this money on Penn Station, which gets a ton of use, so it's time to spend a significant amount of money on a stadium, which gets relatively little use."

I view it as purely budgeting-related, where the timing of it makes perfect sense. If you get these big projects on the books together its easier to plan for.

I'm not saying that creates a definitive argument for a downtown stadium, but that's all he says. Everything else he says is specific to the Buffalo situation.

If you haven't noticed, I vote for an open-air OP stadium anyway. Not that my opinion matters.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

I view it as purely budgeting-related, where the timing of it makes perfect sense. If you get these big projects on the books together its easier to plan for.

I'm not saying that creates a definitive argument for a downtown stadium, but that's all he says. Everything else he says is specific to the Buffalo situation.

If you haven't noticed, I vote for an open-air OP stadium anyway. Not that my opinion matters.

All of which I agree with.  My only criticism is throwing that in there without any surrounding support or context.  Hell, your post here provides more than that article did.  

26 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

They clearly want to cash in. Termini tries to make it sound like the Pegulas are stupid for not taking this opportunity. In reality, they don't need to. They're going to profit more and stress a lot less with an open air stadium in Orchard Park.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.