report- Empire State Development downtown stadium proposal

loyal2dagame

31 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Not exactly a fan of this location but... the city keeps percolating.

The Buffalo Bills @ The Buffalo Central Terminal

Bills-Stadium.png

5 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Cool idea. 

Yeah what's not to like here? Closer to downtown which has its advantages but has way more available land/parking than true downtown sites, meaning that the cost would surely be lower and all of the tailgating people love could still happen. As a bonus, it would help to revitalize the Central Terminal which is a really cool landmark and inject some life into that neighborhood. 

I think this might be my favorite idea yet and hope it at least gets considered. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Not exactly a fan of this location but... the city keeps percolating.

The Buffalo Bills @ The Buffalo Central Terminal

Bills-Stadium.png

That building was built in the wrong location in the first place. I get that it's a pretty building and people like train stations but it was an albatross when it was new and it's not any less of one now. The train station the city needed to keep was the one that was actually downtown, across from where the Aud was. That ship sailed a loooong time ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

That building was built in the wrong location in the first place. I get that it's a pretty building and people like train stations but it was an albatross when it was new and it's not any less of one now. The train station the city needed to keep was the one that was actually downtown, across from where the Aud was. That ship sailed a loooong time ago. 

I grew up in that neighborhood. We used to play football in the grassy fields along Memorial Drive. It's even worse now. If you did build a stadium there hoping for redevelopment you'd have a very long wait. Then again, the foot of Main, now Canalside, was nothing for a long time too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I grew up in that neighborhood. We used to play football in the grassy fields along Memorial Drive. It's even worse now. If you did build a stadium there hoping for redevelopment you'd have a very long wait. Then again, the foot of Main, now Canalside, was nothing for a long time too.

I don't even care about what the neighborhood is like, the bigger issue is that it's an island away from everything and it was built that way on purpose. It's really hard to undo that

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

My family owned a number of businesses in that neighborhood.  Would love to see it come back. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/25/2021 at 5:52 PM, Einstein said:

If you come to the Buffalo area for 3 days regardless, what does it change that the location is downtown. Are downtown dollars more significant than suburban dollars?

Well yes. Dollars to the city coffers as opposed to the county. But there is nothing to spend money on in OP other than Big Tree and Danny's.

On 10/25/2021 at 4:01 PM, SoCal Deek said:

Many on here are looking at this like it's a math problem. It isn't. Good design is about enhancing the very best of the many factors surrounding the development opportunity (budget, location, timing, etc.). Since I'm assuming nobody on here is an actual 'player' in these negotiations, it's really nothing more than jousting with windmills.  We're all just going to have to wait and see who comes to the table.

Unfortunately, Erie County legislature has scheduled three public hearings. Can you say circus mode = On?

Edited by boater
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, boater said:

Unfortunately, Erie County legislature has scheduled public hearing. Can you say circus mode = On?

I present at these sort of meetings for a living. They’re worthless but they do allow the players to check a box before they do what they were going to do before the hearing….only now with cover.

• Agree 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I present at these sort of meetings for a living. They’re worthless but they do allow the players to check a box before they do what they were going to do before the hearing….only now with cover.

This.  I've represented clients before in some of these.  They will have no impact whatsoever on the process.   

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well yes. Dollars to the city coffers as opposed to the county. But there is nothing to spend money on in OP other than Big Tree and Danny's.

that's just not true.

What about Taffy’s?!?  900 different milkshake flavors!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, boater said:

You must be loaded. I want to be you. Seriously, I jest. You are the fan the Bills target.

It’s my one trip “home” every year, even though I only know one of my friends growing up who still lives there. I enjoy going to all my old neighborhoods and eating at all my old places. It’s a serious treat to me, and I look forward to the opener and one road game a year.

It’s been easy with us being in Nashville four straight years, just 4 hours away. No flight or car rental to pay for. As much as I love games in Nashville, I want to see some new cities and venues. A GREAT poll /tread would be where have you been, what did you love or hate, and what cities are on your bucket list. I am far too lazy to make that happen, but I’d be curious to see what might come of that. 

58 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why are the cities coffers more important than the counties?

More importantly, people do not stay where the Bills play. There is little lodging near the stadium. Many stay downtown, or elsewhere. And they still must eat.

Dollars are spent regardless of where the Bills physically move a pigskin about for 60 minutes.

Edited by Einstein

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.