report- Empire State Development downtown stadium proposal

loyal2dagame

On 10/7/2021 at 8:22 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Tailgating will not be eliminated. But you'll have other options. Imagine having nice hotels located next door for those of us coming from out of town.

It just helps the local economy and puts nice restaurant next store gives the city of Buffalo to really make the stadium the center part of the city and if they put a retractable dome on it not for bills games the dome stays open for that but to maybe host college football games or maybe get a super bowl there.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I've read multiple studies on new stadiums and the impact on their economy

The majority of studies done by  respectable colleges or institutions all say there's a negligible impact on the economy 

You build it because you want a football team.. not because you want to revitalize the city

What does the studies say about multi purpose complexes?

On 10/19/2021 at 5:52 PM, QCity said:

It's not downtown it's the old first ward, which makes this idea even funnier. 

Since we're going to have about 2 more years of these threads before they break ground in Orchard Park, here's some reading material:

Sports, Jobs, and Taxes: The Economic Impact of Sports Teams and Stadiums

It's written by a Stanford professor emeritus in economics and former senior economist for the President’s Council of Economic Advisers.

TLDR - NFL stadiums don't spur economic growth, and in many cases they may actually hinder it.

Close enough 

On 10/19/2021 at 5:24 PM, SoCal Deek said:

Would anyone consider that location to be downtown? While I no longer live in WNY anymore I’m not sure I would. 

Close enough 

On 10/8/2021 at 3:03 PM, Einstein said:

Im not saying it’s like the end of the world or anything, but it’s definitely not preferable. Especially when you have a perfectly suitable spot in OP. Does the Michigan Ave bridge even have a sidewalk? Or are you envisioning people walking in the road? Maybe it does, I can’t remember.

The downtown idea seems like something out-of-towners would love but many local season ticket holders would not think is ideal. I’d love to see a poll to see if my theory is correct or just nonsense. 

If it must be moved, I’d much prefer Niagara Falls than downtown. I don’t want NF either though.

The downtown model looks similar to this

65DCBE2C-47E6-4EA0-8DB5-F08C7B8A6E10.png.2411cc076f70185efec351f68ee40e7e.png

Money from federal infrastructure bill would be huge along with state money/Buffalo Billion

Edited by Solomon Grundy

12 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

What you're seeing in the picture is ETFE plastic. It's transparent, but can be lit up with designs (such as the Zubaz design in the picture)

The new LA stadium and Vikings stadium use this. Apparently, it requires very little maintenance and a "low friction coefficient" so that seagull poop will wash off easily: https://www.archpaper.com/2017/03/etfe-stadiums/

The Zubaz thing is funny to me because I jokingly predicted this in a previous stadium thread. 

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/233119-edit-total-cost-to-taxpayers-bills-select-sports-firm-to-represent-ownership-in-building-new-open-air-stadium-in-op-targeted-for-2025/?do=findComment&comment=7250597

They coulda got the idea from you believe it or not...people don't realize who frequents these boards. For example for some reason most people don't think players come here...I know for a fact multiple Bills players come here to see how fans view them. Yes they care! Also plenty family and friends do as well and share positive threads and players will read it. I think it's moreso like that nowadays with social media and all that. Some players just like to read fan feedback.  

Media members def check here often to Guage the temperature of Bills fans and what the common concerns are.

Believe it or not someone involved in the mock up drawing could have easily come here and read through that thread to get a feel of what the fans want and think. If you don't believe that's part of research for a project this big you're way off.

10 minutes ago, StHustle said:

They coulda got the idea from you believe it or not...people don't realize who frequents these boards. For example for some reason most people don't think players come here...I know for a fact multiple Bills players come here to see how fans view them. Yes they care! Also plenty family and friends do as well and share positive threads and players will read it. I think it's moreso like that nowadays with social media and all that. Some players just like to read fan feedback.  

Media members def check here often to Guage the temperature of Bills fans and what the common concerns are.

Believe it or not someone involved in the mock up drawing could have easily come here and read through that thread to get a feel of what the fans want and think. If you don't believe that's part of research for a project this big you're way off.

Well, I'm definitely taking credit for it now

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/20/2021 at 6:30 PM, SirAndrew said:

I’ve been a downtown stadium advocate, but admittedly don’t know a lot about what land is available in downtown Buffalo these days. If that’s as good as it gets, no thanks. Nothing looks remotely appealing about that location. It looks like a stadium thrown in a residential city neighborhood, not somewhere I want to hang out for fun. I’ve always known tailgating would suffer downtown, but most NFL downtown stadiums have somewhat decent parking situations/lots. This place has two tiny parking garages in the picture. Chicago and Cleveland for example at least have substantial amounts of ground level parking lots at their stadiums. How far is parking? Would it be like the Carrier Dome in Syracuse where you walk three miles? 

You may not know this but if they put it there it would allow buffalo to reclaim a wasteland part of the city and start growing there. If you build it they will come. 

So will the things you're looking for. The nimby crowd will likely react badly but the politico's will drool over the opportunity to spend our money. They're whores. It's what they do.   

22 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

That area they're proposing to build looks like the projects in the Candyman movie.

Perhaps you don't know what it looks like now. Vacant, dilapidated project building after project building. They can raze all that and recover the neighborhood and that would be a massive win for Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, StHustle said:

Why didn’t we get Ertz then?!? 😏

On 10/7/2021 at 8:22 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Tailgating will not be eliminated. But you'll have other options. Imagine having nice hotels located next door for those of us coming from out of town.

I was at the Nashville game last weekend. At first I stayed out by Vanderbilt because that was the area I was most familiar with and wanted to hit some of my favorite spots (and it was cheaper). For game day, however, I moved into town so it would be an easy walk to bars and the stadium. That was VERY important to me. 

When I go to Bills home games I generally stay in Williamsville near the bars and restaurants along Main St where I grew up. If I could, I would move downtown for game days. It’s great to not have to worry about driving anywhere. IF the Bills stadium ends up downtown, that would be my plan. I’d be just fine with that.  That would be better for me than having to worry about drinking, driving and parking. 

As I’ve said a thousand times, I’m happy as long as they remain in WNY. I love the Ralph in OP and I love the tailgates. I’m confident I’d also love the experience downtown, if that’s where it ends up. Be flexible in life people, and look for the positives. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I was at the Nashville game last weekend. At first I stayed out by Vanderbilt because that was the area I was most familiar with and wanted to hit some of my favorite spots (and it was cheaper). For game day, however, I moved into town so it would be an easy walk to bars and the stadium. That was VERY important to me. 

When I go to Bills home games I generally stay in Williamsville near the bars and restaurants along Main St where I grew up. If I could, I would move downtown for game days. It’s great to not have to worry about driving anywhere. IF the Bills stadium ends up downtown, that would be my plan. I’d be just fine with that.  That would be better for me than having to worry about drinking, driving and parking. 

As I’ve said a thousand times, I’m happy as long as they remain in WNY. I love the Ralph in OP and I love the tailgates. I’m confident I’d also love the experience downtown, if that where it ends up. Be flexible in life people, and look for the positives. 

People hate change. You look at Camden Yards in Baltimore and think who would be against something like that? I lived in Baltimore when Camden Yards was first proposed and there was a lot of opposition. There was newspaper columnist, John Steadman, who made it his mission to kill the idea. They all swore Memorial Stadium was just fine. Located in the middle of a residential neighborhood on 33rd St, it had all the charm of the ol' Rockpile in Buffalo. Even worse, parking was so scarce they would park cars bumper-to-bumper and door-to-door. If your car was in the middle somewhere you were trapped until a a lane to the street opened. And people wanted to preserve that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

Perhaps you don't know what it looks like now. Vacant, dilapidated project building after project building. They can raze all that and recover the neighborhood and that would be a massive win for Buffalo. 

I looked at the Google Street view, which is relatively recent. The projects in Candyman look the same.

What does "recover the neighborhood" mean?

There wouldn't be a neighborhood if the plopped a stadium on top of it.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

People hate change. You look at Camden Yards in Baltimore and think who would be against something like that? I lived in Baltimore when Camden Yards was first proposed and there was a lot of opposition. There was newspaper columnist, John Steadman, who made it his mission to kill the idea. They all swore Memorial Stadium was just fine. Located in the middle of a residential neighborhood on 33rd St, it had all the charm of the ol' Rockpile in Buffalo. Even worse, parking was so scarce they would park cars bumper-to-bumper and door-to-door. If your car was in the middle somewhere you were trapped until a a lane to the street opened. And people wanted to preserve that.

So true! Most of the successful people I know thrive on change, because it puts them ahead of the herd. 

16 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I looked at the Google Street view, which is relatively recent. The projects in Candyman look the same.

What does "recover the neighborhood" mean?

There wouldn't be a neighborhood if the plopped a stadium on top of it.

By razing all the abandoned project buildings they would recover the neighborhood from what it is. There would be progress to build on around the stadium and the whole neighborhood will change from the nasty dangerous wasteland it is today. The neighborhood would change and grow around the stadium. 

These projects are vacant and dangerous and the city will likely leave it like forever unless a project like a stadium comes along. Time to act I think.

• Agree 1

On 10/7/2021 at 7:26 PM, Beast said:

What's the big facination with downtown? What does Buffalo have that will make the gameday experience better than what we already have in Orchard Park?

Indy tore down the dome, added to the convention center and built a new stadium close b in a warehouse district.  The area is booming.  Underused properties were bought up.  Hotels put in, restaurants opened and bars and night life blossomed.  It is worth the look for Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/7/2021 at 7:26 PM, Beast said:

What's the big facination with downtown? What does Buffalo have that will make the gameday experience better than what we already have in Orchard Park?

After Nashville last weekend, I have to say I realized how much I LOVED the option of hotels and bars in walking distance. I had been to games there multiple times, but this thread reminds me of how different it could be. Not saying better or worse, just different. I don’t like the whole drinking, driving and parking aspect that requires planning for games in remote areas. Nothing is perfect, but Nashville handled it with ease with packed hotels and bars downtown. It was a blast, once again! 

People often fear change, but change can be good. Games in OP are GREAT, but there are other types of experiences that can also be great. People should be open minded, in all ways. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/20/2021 at 11:25 AM, Buffalo716 said:

I've read multiple studies on new stadiums and the impact on their economy

The majority of studies done by  respectable colleges or institutions all say there's a negligible impact on the economy 

You build it because you want a football team.. not because you want to revitalize the city

Each city is different. Look at Petco Park’s impact on the Gaslamp District of San Diego. Gamechanger. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.