report- Empire State Development downtown stadium proposal

loyal2dagame

This stadium is going to be the single biggest infrastructure development in WNY since the Niagara Falls power plant was built.  It will easily be the single biggest expenditure for the next fifty years.  Everyone is going to want to get a piece of the action.  

Every power player in WNY is on the phone with the governor's office right now extolling the virtue of a downtown stadium and arranging "donations" to various campaigns and political action committees.  Back channels between labor unions and the politicians they own are wide open right now.  Downtown real estate owners and developers are on the phone with the politicians they own too.  Not one of them is going to be arguing for a stand alone OP stadium that gets used a handful of times a year.  

I'd be shocked if this stadium doesn't end up built down town significantly overbudget and a year late.  Everyone is going to want to get a bite out of this once in a lifetime apple and that apple is much bigger in downtown Buffalo that it could ever be in OP.  Dunkirk is right, follow the money, and that trail leads to downtown Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This stadium is going to be the single biggest infrastructure development in WNY since the Niagara Falls power plant was built.  It will easily be the single biggest expenditure for the next fifty years.  Everyone is going to want to get a piece of the action.  

Every power player in WNY is on the phone with the governor's office right now extolling the virtue of a downtown stadium and arranging "donations" to various campaigns and political action committees.  Back channels between labor unions and the politicians they own are wide open right now.  Downtown real estate owners and developers are on the phone with the politicians they own too.  Not one of them is going to be arguing for a stand alone OP stadium that gets used a handful of times a year.  

I'd be shocked if this stadium doesn't end up built down town significantly overbudget and a year late.  Everyone is going to want to get a bite out of this once in a lifetime apple and that apple is much bigger in downtown Buffalo that it could ever be in OP.  Dunkirk is right, follow the money, and that trail leads to downtown Buffalo.

and they’ll tout it as some grand “community revitalization effort” or some s***.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Beast said:

What's the big facination with downtown? What does Buffalo have that will make the gameday experience better than what we already have in Orchard Park?

That's exactly the point, local gov't desires a downtown stadium with the hope that the surrounding area then becomes desirable to be developed to "enhance the gameday experience". Restaurants, sports bars, condos etc etc etc.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

There's a lot to it tho - i assume the stadium would probably end up where conway park is.  Extend rail along the river to the stadium - then on gamedays you can run this back and forth from harbor center/sabres lots to the stadium.  Probably rip down as much of the project housing as possible for parking or re-development.  Riverworks would need to figure out a way to ferry people across to the stadium.  

Then beyond all of this you need to figure out how to get people in and out of downtown for a game.  Access to route 5 or a skyway replacement.  Then updated 190 entrances north and south so that its easier to get in and out.  Where the 190 hits 90 is also a terribly designed exit so thats another bag of issues.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

There's a lot to it tho - i assume the stadium would probably end up where conway park is.  Extend rail along the river to the stadium - then on gamedays you can run this back and forth from harbor center/sabres lots to the stadium.  Probably rip down as much of the project housing as possible for parking or re-development.  Riverworks would need to figure out a way to ferry people across to the stadium.  

Then beyond all of this you need to figure out how to get people in and out of downtown for a game.  Access to route 5 or a skyway replacement.  Then updated 190 entrances north and south so that its easier to get in and out.  Where the 190 hits 90 is also a terribly designed exit so thats another bag of issues.

You're right, those will all end up being expensive fixes.  Even more money for the grifters at the trough getting fat on government pork.

36 minutes ago, Gen2 said:

That's exactly the point, local gov't desires a downtown stadium with the hope that the surrounding area then becomes desirable to be developed to "enhance the gameday experience". Restaurants, sports bars, condos etc etc etc.

Downtown Buffalo is already developed and being developed.. it's not the east side

There are already tons of mom and pop shops and Bodegas downtown .. I was in downtown Pittsburgh yesterday.. downtown Buffalo has way more going on

And new stadiums have already been shown to not help the local economy... You never get back what you put in

Edited by Buffalo716

20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Downtown Buffalo is already developed and being developed.. it's not the east side

There are already tons of mom and pop shops and Bodegas downtown .. I was in downtown Pittsburgh yesterday.. downtown Buffalo has way more going on

And new stadiums have already been shown to not help the local economy... You never get back what you put in

It's a given something OP will get you nothing back.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So walking over a bridge is unacceptable? How do people who park on California survive the death march to Southwestern Blvd, with the creek in the way?

Im not saying it’s like the end of the world or anything, but it’s definitely not preferable. Especially when you have a perfectly suitable spot in OP. Does the Michigan Ave bridge even have a sidewalk? Or are you envisioning people walking in the road? Maybe it does, I can’t remember.

The downtown idea seems like something out-of-towners would love but many local season ticket holders would not think is ideal. I’d love to see a poll to see if my theory is correct or just nonsense. 

If it must be moved, I’d much prefer Niagara Falls than downtown. I don’t want NF either though.

Edited by Einstein

5 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

You realize that higher ticket prices and PSLs would bring in a different type of fan (probably not a guy like yourself).  The fans that are willingly to pay more for a ticket and PSL, will be the people that want to go to restaurants and have clients fly in for the game.

The Bills catering to the current type of fan, but with higher prices, will result in a lot of empty seats.  

Nonsense.  There is not a huge group of more well off fans out there who are just waiting for the opportunity for a more exclusive Bills stadium experience followed by a nice dinner at some downtown restaurant.  There’s a mix of income groups at any game currently.  No matter where the new stadiums are built there will be PSLs and increased tickets across the board.  None of this has anything to do with its proximity or distance from hotels and restaurants. 

21 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Im not saying it’s like the end of the world or anything, but it’s definitely not preferable. Especially when you have a perfectly suitable spot in OP. Does the Michigan Ave bridge even have a sidewalk? Or are you envisioning people walking in the road? Maybe it does, I can’t remember.

The downtown idea seems like something out-of-towners would love but many local season ticket holders would not think is ideal. I’d love to see a poll to see if my theory is correct or just nonsense. 

If it must be moved, I’d much prefer Niagara Falls than downtown. I don’t want NF either though.

Niagara falls ny, no offense 

Is a dump compared to Buffalo.. if they're building in a city it has to be Buffalo

Okie dokey. If NY wants to dictate the location, then NY foots the majority of the stadium cost. It works no other way.

The major financier gets their choice of location.

I guarantee: The Bills are not financing a stadium in a location against their wishes. They want Orchard Park.

I'm sure the Bills would accept a downtown stadium, as long as they aren't the wallet being pick-pocketed.

57 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

People always say this, and it may be true. However, I think it misses a key point. There are many political connected people who own businesses and land downtown. It’s fair to argue that a downtown stadium doesn’t revitalize a city, but the owners of bars and parking lots/garages will certainly see an increase in revenues. Revenue from Sunday gameday would change hands, going to political connected people who have the power to push for a downtown site. Think of the private parking lots in OP, most of those people are local landowners and small businesses. The parking lots in the city are often owned by some relatively important people. Those people play a huge role in where a stadium goes when they want public funding. 

2 minutes ago, boater said:

Okie dokey. If NY wants to dictate the location, then NY foots the majority of the stadium cost. It works no other way.

I guarantee: The Bills are not financing a stadium in a location against their wishes. They want Orchard Park.

I'm sure the Bills would accept a downtown stadium, as long as they aren't the wallet being pick-pocketed.

I don't believe the Bills want OP. They'll settle for it.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, boater said:

If the state pitches in enough money to make a downtown location the same cost as OP, do you think the team really cares that it’s not in OP? Is there one reason other than cost why the team cares if they stay in OP? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SirAndrew said:

People always say this, and it may be true. However, I think it misses a key point. There are many political connected people who own businesses and land downtown. It’s fair to argue that a downtown stadium doesn’t revitalize a city, but the owners of bars and parking lots/garages will certainly see an increase in revenues. Revenue from Sunday gameday would change hands, going to political connected people who have the power to push for a downtown site. Think of the private parking lots in OP, most of those people are local landowners and small businesses. The parking lots in the city are often owned by some relatively important people. Those people play a huge role in where a stadium goes when they want public funding. 

I'm not against the downtown stadium.. people think it's going to add all this business to the city.. it's not

Eight Sundays a year is going to do nothing for all the mom and pop shops downtown that operate 365 days a year, drop in the bucket

If They build it downtown because they think it's the best spot for a football stadium perfectly fine... But it's hardly going to move the needle on the local economy

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm not against the downtown stadium.. people think it's going to add all this business to the city.. it's not

Eight Sundays a year is going to do nothing for all the mom and pop shops downtown that operate 365 days a year, drop in the bucket

If They build it downtown because they think it's the best spot for a football stadium perfectly fine... But it's hardly going to move the needle on the local economy

I don’t necessarily disagree, but that’s why I said downtown provides cash for some political connected people. You can say it doesn’t help the local economy all you want, but it certainly puts money in the pockets of bar owners and those who own private lots etc. Many of those downtown businesses are owned by corporations who have some political clout. It’s not about the mom and pop shops you mention, it’s about the big time businessmen of WNY. 

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

If the state pitches in enough money to make a downtown location the same cost as OP, do you think the team really cares that it’s not in OP? Is there one reason other than cost why the team cares if they stay in OP? 

The team would gladly move downtown if NY contributed enough to make it cost neutral to staying in OP.

I'll eat my shorts if Albany contributed the billion+ needed to make a downtown stadium feasible. We aren't the Yankees or the Mets.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yes the bridge has sidewalks, on both sides. And I can see them making the bridge pedestrian-only on game days if it helps move people. Don't forget there's a bridge at Ohio Street too. I could see Ganson Street becoming Tailgate Central downtown.

Look at this photo and tell me there's no place to tailgate.

DtwnStdm.jpg

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t necessarily disagree, but that’s why I said downtown provides cash for some political connected people. You can say it doesn’t help the local economy all you want, but it certainly puts money in the pockets of bar owners and those who own private lots etc. Many of those downtown businesses are owned by corporations who have some political clout. It’s not about the mom and pop shops you mention, it’s about the big time businessmen of WNY. 

So the rich get richer? It should absolutely be about the small business owners which are getting devastated during covid 

Fat cats don't need their wallets lined any bigger

Also Buffalo's a savvy drinking town.. we tailgate hard so we don't have to pay $10 beer at the Ralph... They'll be a select crowd that will bar hop downtown 

But the vast majority will be buying 12 packs from Wegmans pounding them at home or in their cars, and going to the stadium ... Not spending $12 a drink at a Downtown bar

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.