Do coaches ask other team coaches for intel on teams?

We talk about game planning - putting together strategies based on matchups, film, schemes, etc. Is it common-place for coaches to consult with other team's coaches on opposing teams? For example...Leslie Frazier calling up Chargers DC for intel on what worked well against KC. Is this considered fair-play? The Chargers certainly have interest in KC losing so they would be motivated to help but knowing "what goes around, comes around", would they do so?

Does it happen? Maybe. Probably not often during the regular season imo. I think it would be more likely in the Playoffs if there is a Coordinator who was successful against an opponent, but their team happens to be on the couch. 

1 hour ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Coaches have egos just like players. They believe in their game plan and film study. What is the chargers d coordinator going to tell you about their plan against KC that you can’t see on film? 

Yep - you have film, you can hear their signals and cadences.  You'll see plays they go to in certain situations, formations, tendencies, whatever you want its there.  If something worked - you'll see what they did.  

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I would think they are watching a lot of game tape 

And, of course, the Patriots* also review all video and audio recordings from the other 31 teams facilities that the evil genius Ernie Adams arranged for long ago. Hey, if you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t tryin’! 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, InTheBuffAllTheTime said:

We talk about game planning - putting together strategies based on matchups, film, schemes, etc. Is it common-place for coaches to consult with other team's coaches on opposing teams? For example...Leslie Frazier calling up Chargers DC for intel on what worked well against KC. Is this considered fair-play? The Chargers certainly have interest in KC losing so they would be motivated to help but knowing "what goes around, comes around", would they do so?

To me this kind of intel seems like some or bing overvalued among fans/media.  How often do you see a team sign a player who was a former member of their upcoming opponent only to release them a week later?  I don’t really feel like this is that big of an advantage.  

Coaches are pretty ego driven, if they do, it is more likely info given in casual conversation, or volunteered from a long time associate, jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

If there is a real friendship for example maybe Rivera reaches out to Sean about an opponent the WFT will face and we just beat.  Afc to nfc and not a hi how are you but a real friendship.  I also think those conversations are more like Ron sayin Sean we noticed x, y, when they motion z.  Sean confirms or adds something.  It’s probably like that not with many coaches

4 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Coaches have egos just like players. They believe in their game plan and film study. What is the chargers d coordinator going to tell you about their plan against KC that you can’t see on film? 

Yeah you never know, by year end Chargers could easily win division, but a Bills win Sunday night gives them home field in playoffs over Chargers.  Where if Bills lost, Chargers still won division, but now also have home field.

I would guess it happens, especially when there is an established relationship.  Game tape, Im' sure is much more important.  I'm sure the Bills coaching staff has gone over with a fine toothed comb the tape of KC's two losses this season.  I'm sure they also endured a painful review of the playoff loss to KC last January.

28 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I would guess it happens, especially when there is an established relationship.  Game tape, Im' sure is much more important.  I'm sure the Bills coaching staff has gone over with a fine toothed comb the tape of KC's two losses this season.  I'm sure they also endured a painful review of the playoff loss to KC last January.

Yup. That would be my take. Some HCs who are very close and their teams are not in too much conflict  probably check in on occasion.

But since I'm really guessing a bit here, I imagine assistant coaches do a lot more of this. Especially the younger assistants, who have spent a little time on other teams. They may have mentors. While (for the most part) NFL head coaches have interacted with many different coaches and have plucked information from all of them on the way up the ranks. The younger ones may still looking for that information.  I suppose they continue to use outside sources until those sources cut their rope, or screw them once too often.

Edited by The Dean
  • Like (+1) 1