You might want to change your Amazon account password (Massive data breach)

BillsFan4

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-game-streaming-service-twitch-suffers-major-data-breach-rcna2651

Twitch was hacked/breached and they may have been able to get Amazon account data through it. Amazon account info + passwords may be leaked (some of the breached data is already available for download). They’re saying this might be the biggest data breach in history.

I’d Change your Amazon account password ASAP. Better safe than sorry.

I’d also recommend turning on 2 factor identification.

You also have to change any other account password you use that same Amazon password on (and when changing the passwords, try to use a unique password for every account if you don’t already). 

It’s also worth going to this website:

https://haveibeenpwned.com

You can see if you’ve had any data breaches associated with your email/phone number.

I check it every few months or so, just to be safe.

edit - even if you’re phone number/email don’t show up in that link you should still change your Amazon password.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-game-streaming-service-twitch-suffers-major-data-breach-rcna2651

Twitch was hacked/breached and they were able to get Amazon account data through it. Amazon account info + passwords were leaked (I already saw the breached data available for download). They’re saying this might be the biggest data breach in history.

Change your Amazon account password ASAP. I’d also recommend turning on 2 factor identification.

You also have to change any other account password you use that same Amazon password on (and when changing the passwords, try to use a unique password for every account if you don’t already). 

It’s also worth going to this website:

https://haveibeenpwned.com

You can see if you’ve had any data breaches associated with your email/phone number.

I check it every few months or so, just to be safe.

edit - even if you’re phone number/email don’t show up in that link you should still change your Amazon password.

Thanks for the heads up. I am paranoid about this sort of thing . . . such a nasty world, really.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Thanks for the heads up. I am paranoid about this sort of thing . . . such a nasty world, really.

Yeah it’s scary how much of our personal data is online.

I know 3 different people that had their identities stolen in the last couple years. My cousin and 2 close friends. They had their bank accounts drained and everything.

My one friend’s identity/IP address was also remotely used for another hack (or something like that) and he had to let this company’s top IT security guy go through his whole laptop and had multiple phone conversations with him. They initially thought he was the person responsible for the hack. It was a nightmare.

Thankfully he was totally cleared of any wrongdoing.

I guess he thinks it happened because he thought he was on a popular shopping website (I think it was Walmart or Amazon) and logged in, but it was a spoofed website that stole all his info. I always check to make sure I’m on the legit website (https with proper website address) and I’m extremely careful on where I enter any type of login info and especially payment info.

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah it’s scary how much of our personal data is online.

I know 3 different people that had their identities stolen in the last couple years. My cousin and 2 close friends. They had their bank accounts drained and everything.

My one friend’s identity/IP address was also remotely used for another hack (or something like that) and he had to let this company’s top IT security guy go through his whole laptop and had multiple phone conversations with him. They initially thought he was the person responsible for the hack. It was a nightmare.

Thankfully he was totally cleared of any wrongdoing.

I guess he thinks it happened because he thought he was on a popular shopping website (I think it was Walmart or Amazon) and logged in, but it was a spoofed website that stole all his info. I always check to make sure I’m on the legit website (https with proper website address) and I’m extremely careful on where I enter any type of login info and especially payment info.

A few years ago, I had two of my credit cards hacked in two days.  It was after purchasing Chinese knock-off Bills jerseys.  Both cards were used to buy Domino's pizza in NYC.

You've got "free" money, you're in NYC ... and you go to DOMINO'S ?!!?!?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, QCity said:

No they weren't. 

Where are you getting this info?

I can’t find it now but I read an article saying that the extent of the breach wasn’t yet known and the hackers may have had full access to anything that relies on Amazon Web Services (their cloud platform) and it said if your data was stored anywhere on those servers that it could be compromised even if you’ve never used twitch.

I guess I should have said Amazon data “may have been breached” (we know twitch was for sure).

as far as the leaked data, I saw people talking about it on Reddit. There was a link to download all the data and some people saying it contained passwords. But I don’t know if that’s actually true or not.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, QCity said:

All I have seen is that Twitch source code and 128GB of internal company data has been leaked. There's absolutely no mention of any other AWS breaches and certainly not Amazon itself.  

Yeah hopefully that’s the case. From what I’ve read they still don’t know the extent of the breach and people are speculating that since the data dump was labeled “part 1”, there’s likely a “part 2” to the data (that may be released or auctioned off on the dark web).

I don’t have a twitch account but I still changed my Amazon password to be safe.

I figured it was worth mentioning to the board. I probably should have worded my initial post better though. It just scared me when I read that stuff about the Amazon cloud, which is why I posted this thread. I had all my family change their Amazon passwords too 😂

19 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

Isn't it a good idea to change  passwords from time to time?

On a serious note, there's more than a few experts that now say you don't have to change your passwords regularly unless there has been a breach (Amazon has not been compromised!) The consensus is that strong and unique passwords combined with 2-factor authorization is more than enough security.

I would change the thread title to something a little less alarmist.

• Like (+1) 2

• BillsFan4 changed the title to You might want to change your Amazon account password (Massive data breach)
48 minutes ago, QCity said:

On a serious note, there's more than a few experts that now say you don't have to change your passwords regularly unless there has been a breach (Amazon has not been compromised!) The consensus is that strong and unique passwords combined with 2-factor authorization is more than enough security.

I would change the thread title to something a little less alarmist.

Better?

🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.