2021 MLB Playoffs

Mark Vader

I've had too much going on in my life to pay attention. What happened to Toronto? I know Boston beat the yankees and there was a 4 way tie at the end of the season.

I'l be rooting for Baston (B-I-L likes them) and SF (lived in the area for almost 20 years).

2 hours ago, Wacka said:

I've had too much going on in my life to pay attention. What happened to Toronto? I know Boston beat the yankees and there was a 4 way tie at the end of the season.

I'l be rooting for Baston (B-I-L likes them) and SF (lived in the area for almost 20 years).

The Jays came up one game short.   The Sox and Yankees had a series near the end of the year that the Jays needed the Sox to take care of and Boston didnt.  

Love baseball, but hate that a 162 game schedule comes down to 1 game twice.  The wildcard game is a complete joke.

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

The wild card round is over, now it's on to the division series.

American League:

Tampa Bay Vs. Boston

Houston Vs. Chicago

National League:

San Francisco Vs. Los Angeles

Milwaukee Vs. Atlanta

Who have you got?

The only prediction I can make is that Tampa Bay is going to roll the Sox (my team). 

That SF/LA series should be a classic.

And Houston/Chicago might be a good one, too.

• Like (+1) 1

I despise the Dodgers and was bummed to see them walk off last night.  I was hoping STL could get in and go deep.  Wasn't meant to be.

I wanted the Yankees ousted ASAP and that happened (woo hoo)!

in the AL, I'm pulling for Boston, but I'm okay with anyone but Houston (bums).  

I'm usually a "want to see the best two teams in the Series," kind of guy.  A TB/SF World Series, in my opinion, would be that match-up.

I've been making annual trips to Fenway over the past handful of years and I absolutely love the atmosphere there.  That's why I'm pulling for them, but I don't think their chances are great.

Looking forward to some high quality playoff baseball!!

• Like (+1) 2

Braves fan here. Don't think it is our year to win it all (although it did not prevent me from putting a bet on 'em and its not out of the realm of possibility). 

Going with Rays over Giants.

Getting 4k DirectV setup today actually. Excited to watch some ALDS and then TNF in my first 4k live tv experience. assuming there are no hiccups, knock on wood. 

I’m a braves fan too, and I love how the team preserved through their adversity this past year. 

They could have packed it in or got caught up in the Acuña injury, Sorokas injury relapse, or Marcells personal issues. These things could have become a distraction or excuse to not win. They pulled through though so I actually like their chances to represent in the World Series more than last years. 

• Agree 1

I'm a huge Red Sox fan, so I enjoyed the WC victory of NYY of course...and was upset at tonight's pretty thorough trashing in TB...in that damned dome that I can't stand playing in.   Stadiums like that with that grass surface should be outlawed for baseball.

I expect TB to pound us and that will be that.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:38 AM, Gugny said:

I despise the Dodgers and was bummed to see them walk off last night.  I was hoping STL could get in and go deep.  Wasn't meant to be.

I wanted the Yankees ousted ASAP and that happened (woo hoo)!

in the AL, I'm pulling for Boston, but I'm okay with anyone but Houston (bums).  

I'm usually a "want to see the best two teams in the Series," kind of guy.  A TB/SF World Series, in my opinion, would be that match-up.

I've been making annual trips to Fenway over the past handful of years and I absolutely love the atmosphere there.  That's why I'm pulling for them, but I don't think their chances are great.

Looking forward to some high quality playoff baseball!!

You misspelled world champions.  

• Haha (+1) 2

Giants dominant in Game 1

Logan Webb was masterful, 10 K's, no walks, no runs.

Kris Bryant 3-3 with a home run and Buster Posey with a monster home run to start the game.

Great to to get that game 1 win. The real challenge will be the follow-up tonight.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I hate the MLBs wild card format.     You have a 162 game season, and it comes down to one game anyways.  

It's horrible, I agree.  I did not mind the original Wild Card format.  What it has become is a joke.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's horrible, I agree.  I did not mind the original Wild Card format.  What it has become is a joke.

Agree.  Not 100% sure what the answer is.  Either go back to one team, expand the number of teams, or shorten the season and make the wild card a three game series, but its pointless right now.

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Agree.  Not 100% sure what the answer is.  Either go back to one team, expand the number of teams, or shorten the season and make the wild card a three game series, but its pointless right now.

The original format was three division winners plus one wild-card team.

From wiki:

Beginning in 1998, the team with the best record in the league would typically face the wild card team, with the other series pitting the second- and third-best division winners. However, if the wild card team came from the same division as the team with the league's best record, the wild card would face the second-best division winner in the league.

That worked well for a lot of years (through 2011) and they should have just left it alone.

I was 100% behind the realignment (two divisions to three in each league) when it happened and the one Wild Card team that came with it.  In too many seasons, excellent ball teams like the Red Sox and the Mets were left out of post-season because they came in 2nd to the Yankees and Braves, respectively.  But in those season, the Mets and Sox were better than the Central and West division winners.  

So it made sense to me.

But they're watering the postseason down and dragging it out by adding too many teams to the postseason mix.  The EARLIEST the World Series can end this year is Oct. 30th.  A Game 7 would be played on Nov. 3rd.  Who the hell wants to play baseball on the East Coast in ***** November??

They just should have kept what worked between 1998-2011.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.