Why is the run game is so important?

NewEra

And there you have it, 

ya just can’t be one dimensional in today’s NFL,

Go Bills!!!

13 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You don't have to run in every game. We had a great game against Seattle last year practically without running till the last few drives to burn clock. We didn't run but we still passed extremely well.

The difference is Pete Carroll openly admitted they game planned the defense as if we were going to run the ball. Passing against that defense obviously worked. Whereas KC gave exactly zero respect to our run game, they dropped into deep zones and practically begged us to run the ball. In those situations you have to be able to run the ball to some level of success. If the defense is exclusively clogging up passing windows and you still can't run the ball, you leave very little margin for error in the passing offense. If you hit some big run plays the defense will start to creep up a bit and then you can hit the passing windows that open as a result. We don't have to be able to run in every situation to be a successful offense, but the threat of the run against a defense that is only playing the pass is vital.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, RangerDave said:

Does this include yards rushed by Josh Allen?  If so, I don't think QB scrambles lead to as much punishment of the defenders as designed rushes by RB's.  The blocking is different, plus Josh (hopefully) doesn't cause as much punishing contact as a running back would.

True, but Josh crushes the opposing Defenses souls when he constantly picks up first downs, followed by 30 & 35 yard chunk gains passing. Running the ball is a matter of when, and the effectiveness of when you run the ball, like has been said repeatedly, it’s your effectiveness running the ball, not the frequency of running the ball. I’m starting think Dabol is starting to like this concept.🤞 

Go Bills!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

You sure? Check out Tampa's rushing ranking last year.

Yup, check out the Bills playoffs loss, 😁👍

My concern w Daboll is if he begrudgingly runs on 1st down and its a gain of less than 5 yards he's 100% passing next down.  

Last KC game Moss out. and Motor gets SIX carries all game.  Pitt game opener we drop back 50 times and throw.  Daboll is definitely not an Oline friendly playcaller, and our line could use a little boost.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Daboll understands that being able to run effectively prevents the defense from "over defending" against the pass.  Thus, the passing game is potentially more effective.  That's why the Bills worked in the off season to make their run game more effective.  

11 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Couldn't pass either

All starting WRs (4) were all playing injured…, 

• Agree 1

Offensive linemen love run plays for a reason. Instead of an overall more passive protecting role, they can maul and smash. They usually outweigh opponents, but not outspeed them, and on run plays they get to use that edge. It gives them the initiative too, as they know what they'll do, the snap count, etc. While on pass plays, defenses can blitz, cross, and all that way more, and the OL has to react.

You need it to run out the clock, when the weather's bad, and just to make life miserable for others. No one wants to get behind on the Ravens and get mauled ha ha. But of course, in today's NFL, the pass game is mandatory, while running is not. It still is important though. And the Bills have been doing it lately, at last. Hell, the Chiefs can do it too, which sucks ha ha.

Edited by Jerome007
  • Agree 1

On 10/7/2021 at 10:26 AM, NewEra said:

No what?  Where did I say that that was our problem vs KC last year.  I said that it hurt us big time last year.  We had more than one problem.  I’m not saying that this was THE issue.  Merely AN issue.  

The fact that the chiefs stopped the run just shows how truly bad our run game was.  They sold out to stop the pass……and they still had zero problems stopping the run.  If they had any worries about the run game, we may had

more success in the pass game.  

You’re certainly entitled to you opinion- but if you don’t think that our lack of a run game all season had any affect on the KC defensive game plan, play calling and eventually the outcome of the season, well than I think your opinion is wrong.  

agree to disagree.

I think part of the problem there was our run game was easily tipped off.  You could tell when the Bills were going to run the football.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I think part of the problem there was our run game was easily tipped off.  You could tell when the Bills were going to run the football.

I’m not disagreeing with you, but I hadn’t seen evidence of that.  I hadn’t even heard of anyone mention that before.  Why do you say that?  

from my eyes:  our OL wasn’t very good at run blocking;  Daboll wasn’t very good a scheming run plays;  we had very little emphasis on the run game as an offensive unit and, mentally, that may have had a negative affect on our run game success (jmo).  We just couldn’t seem dominate the LOS in the run game.

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m not disagreeing with you, but I hadn’t seen evidence of that.  I hadn’t even heard of anyone mention that before.  Why do you say that?  

from my eyes:  our OL wasn’t very good at run blocking;  Daboll wasn’t very good a scheming run plays;  we had very little emphasis on the run game as an offensive unit and, mentally, that may have had a negative affect on our run game success (jmo).  We just couldn’t seem dominate the LOS in the run game.

Because I had a pretty good success rate of calling the run play from watching on TV.

Agree with everything you say here though.

19 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Because I had a pretty good success rate of calling the run play from watching on TV.

Agree with everything you say here though.

Ok.  It wasn’t based on anything in particular?

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ok.  It wasn’t based on anything in particular?

Sometimes you could tell by formation and who was on the field.  Josh telegraphs hand offs pretty badly too.  I honestly cant pick out any specific things on specific plays because my old as memory and injuries don't allow that anymore but I remember watching the games and I could tell.

Daboll also has a tendency that when one run works he just sticks with it until its stopped and then doesn't run again for a while.  Still has that tendency sometimes.  He has yet to master the art of sprinkling in the runs and changeup.  He doesn't seem to take shots on 2nd and short and stuff like that either.

Edited by Scott7975

On 10/7/2021 at 10:23 AM, BBills_88 said:

I am glad the BILLS have decided to incorporate the Run game with more seriousness this season. 
I was happy to see Gilliam lined up in the backfield, 

I was happy to see the JUMBO packages. 

Allow the OLINE to wear down the opposing team's Dline. 

We ran 4 straight run plays against the Texans which is rear with DABOL, you could see the souls being taken out of the TEXANS player because of it. 

Let Josh Chef the Chiefs, but also let the Oline impose their will with M&M incorporated running. 

Don’t forget Spencer Brown. Just looking at the last series against WFT that first snap he destroyed Daron Payne who got up and looked around like “where did THIS friggin guy come from?” … Allen was watching the replay on the jumbo from the sideline like it was a car crash. And the next play Brown took Payne 6 yards downfield again. Mind you Payne was the guy who set the season mark for pressures operating against Ford, and he was getting thrown around like a laundry bag.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/7/2021 at 7:36 AM, Big Turk said:

Great answer...but slow down...let the man finish the first year and then see how he does in year 2 and 3. Plenty of great coaches in year one didn't have many answers after that. 

But...it makes it easier to have answers when you have someone like Herbert at QB

You can really say that about any coach,any team only goes as the QB 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.