Why is the run game is so important?

NewEra

Brandon Staley is a badass.  I thought the chargers made a mistake they bypassed Daboll for Staley.  I’m starting to think they have their coach for the next 30 years. 

perfectly stated.  While the running game may yield much less yards per play when compared to the pass, it has the potential to have a much greater affect on the game and the opposing defense.  Our inability to force KC to fight blocks and tackle hurt us big time last year. They were able to pin their ears back and get after the Qb with zero fear for the run.  

It sucks when we run for 1-2 yards, but that’s the trade off when attempting to take a defenses soul by running the ball down their throat.  

I just loved this clip and thought everyone should hear this.  Feel free to merge with another thread if it’s not thread worthy.  

• Like (+1) 18
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 11

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Brandon Staley is a badass.  I thought the chargers made a mistake they bypassed Daboll for Staley.  I’m starting to think they have their coach for the next 30 years. 

perfectly stated.  While the running game may yield much less yards per play when compared to the pass, it has the potential to have a much greater affect on the game and the opposing defense.  Our inability to force KC to fight blocks and tackle hurt us big time last year. They were able to pin their ears back and get after the Qb with zero fear for the run.  

It sucks when we run for 1-2 yards, but that’s the trade off when attempting to take a defenses soul by running the ball down their throat.  

I just loved this clip and thought everyone should hear this.  Feel free to merge with another thread if it’s not thread worthy.  

100% this guy nailed it 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t think Daboll would disagree with this. 

I suspect the times we have abandoned the run game or excessively run empty sets is due to the fact that it seems to Allow

josh to read the defense a lot easier. 

I think the main thing is you have to be able to make the defense respect it, which comes down not only being able to run the ball but also that you show if they don't defend it you'll punish them for it.

Running is such a different style than the passing game that the defense not having to worry about is much more significant I think than them not having to worry about a certain aspect of the passing game. Like if your short game is good but the deep ball is off them not having to worry about defending deep passes isn't as significant a change as them not having to defend the run.

• Like (+1) 3

Well said. Chargers are kind of all around impressive right now.

Our rushing attack is pretty great. Still 5th in rushing yards, which we've maintained for a couple of weeks now. Tied for 4th in TDs. Since the Chargers are making some noise I like our 3-headed attack much better than theirs - Ekeler...Rountree? Jackson? They're going to be good but the offense lacks a weapon or two.

Checking their roster now and maybe they're lacking 3 or 4. It's maybe an Allen 2019 scenario at best and they'll fill the clear offensive gaps later, but Herbert is legit.

Edited by Nelius

I knew the Chargers had made a great hire. Exceptional football coach and a guy who just gets it. I am a bit of a nerd so when a coordinator starts performing in a way that makes them a potential HC candidate I go and find video of them speaking to the media because they way a guy holds the room and controls the situation in press conferences can tell you a lot about the type of character they are and Staley was just flat out impressive. 

He also walked into a great situation. How often does a job come up where a franchise Quarterback who just lit it up in his rookie year is already in situ? It is not often. The mesh of his coaching and energy, plus Justin Herbert and a great draft has catapulted the Chargers into contention. 

He is right in a sense about running the ball. I think where you have to be careful is going too far down the "gotta be physical and impose our will" hole to the point you lose sight of who you are as a team. Balance in the NFL no longer means 50/50 run to pass, it means running enough to keep a defense honest and when you run being effective enough to make people come and hit. In the Bills case they have definitely simplified their running game this year and focussed on superior execution and so far, so good. It has definitely been improved on 2020. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yes, Staley is right.

No, that was absolutely not our problem against KC last year. We absolutely got them to fight blocks and tackle. They were in fact very good at it in both games. They were damn good at stopping our run game by fighting blocks and tackling.

You don't have to run in every game. We had a great game against Seattle last year practically without running till the last few drives to burn clock. We didn't run but we still passed extremely well. Our troubles in passing at KC weren't caused by run problems. We just weren't very good at either, in either game.

Your team will absolutely have a hard time though, if teams all know you can't run and so you won't. That makes it a lot easier on defenses. But if game planning says it's better to run very little against some teams, that can be a very reasonable decision.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t think Daboll would disagree with this. 

I suspect the times we have abandoned the run game or excessively run empty sets is due to the fact that it seems to Allow

josh to read the defense a lot easier. 

Got to have the run game to keep defense honest to respect it. Teams can adjust, otherwise play the pass, (example Chiefs, and Steelers game, keying on the WRS, pass rusher Allen). The run game makes teams have to prepare for everything. Have to get outta set only playing the pass.

• Agree 1

Agree completely I would add matchups, game situation. and weather as factors also.  If you can pass every play and move at will it does not matter.  You can do that against weak teams but you need to be able to do both or one or the other as matchups and conditions dictate.   If you get a really windy day in Buffalo which happens you need to be able to run first.  Sometime you need to run clock at the end of the game.  Soley focusing on passing stats is bad football 

• Like (+1) 1

Really impressive young coach.  I’m glad the Bolts are in the Chefs’ division…let those two knock each other around twice a year while the Bills have an easier path to the #1 seed.

Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, Burrow, Lamont, Baker, Lawrence, and maybe Wilson and Jones…the AFC is going to be a fun conference for a while.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Nelius said:

Our rushing attack is pretty great. Still 5th in rushing yards, which we've maintained for a couple of weeks now. Tied for 4th in TDs.

Does this include yards rushed by Josh Allen?  If so, I don't think QB scrambles lead to as much punishment of the defenders as designed rushes by RB's.  The blocking is different, plus Josh (hopefully) doesn't cause as much punishing contact as a running back would.

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Great answer...but slow down...let the man finish the first year and then see how he does in year 2 and 3. Plenty of great coaches in year one didn't have many answers after that. 

But...it makes it easier to have answers when you have someone like Herbert at QB

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.