NY Coalition supports 3 hearings regarding New Buffalo Stadium for Bills

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/rochester/news/2021/10/06/ny-coalition-for-open-government-supports-public-hearings-for-new-bills-stadium it states that Erie county legislators have introduced a resolution that would delay voting for a new stadium until the 3 hearings are held

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

Window dressing…

Great. Then all the whiny, small-minded, obstructionist sorts whose stock answer to everything is no while at the same time championing stuff like bird migratory patterns can begin to build consensus against this project.

Maybe it's just a few local grandstanders, but I can't help but feel that this isn't a positive development for the stadium talks. Isn't the reason we elect politicians in the first place because they are supposed to make decisions on the public's behalf?

• Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Great. Then all the whiny, small-minded, obstructionist sorts whose stock answer to everything is no while at the same time championing stuff like bird migratory patterns can begin to build consensus against this project.

Maybe it's just a few local grandstanders, but I can't help but feel that this isn't a positive development for the stadium talks. Isn't the reason we elect politicians in the first place because they are supposed to make decisions on the public's behalf?

I don’t think this is a negative at all. The people have to know that whatever their demands are for the new stadium are most likely not going to be met. This has more to do with the studies that Hochoul and Poloncarz have and they just want to see what the studies are. 

• Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I don’t think this is a negative at all. The people have to know that whatever their demands are for the new stadium are most likely not going to be met. This has more to do with the studies that Hochoul and Poloncarz have and they just want to see what the studies are. 

I certainly hope you're right. It seems to me that other places have done stuff like this and it hasn't always been helpful. I'm kinda wondering whether there will be some calls for a referendum.

Bottom line is it would be a great relief if the community can finally bury this issue and secure the future of the team once and for all.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, buffblue said:

I certainly hope you're right. It seems to me that other places have done stuff like this and it hasn't always been helpful. I'm kinda wondering whether there will be some calls for a referendum.

Bottom line is it would be a great relief if the community can finally bury this issue and secure the future of the team once and for all.

They will. The Buffalo Bills aren’t going anywhere. I think majority of the fans on this forum page would agree on that. Even Poloncarz said a deal will get done

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

40 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This sounds like some Parks and Rec nonsense.  Just get Ron Swanson on the line, get the deal done and knock it off. 

Ron doesn't like deals getting done.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, buffblue said:

No, politicians are supposed to do the public’s bidding on all things, ya see they work for the public, not the other way around, “of the people, by the people, for the people” , you get to have a voice as well, provided you take part in the proceedings, it is when folk let political do what ever they want after they get elected, is when our society starts go to hell in a hand basket, if citizens don’t continuously monitor what politicians do they have failed as Americans, ya gotta ride herd on elected officials, they to often are up to no good. Now me, I don’t mind a new stadium at all, but citizens have the responsibility and legal right to speak out and control their government, it is what makes America Great. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

No, politicians are supposed to do the public’s bidding on all things, ya see they work for the public, not the other way around, “of the people, by the people, for the people” , you get to have a voice as well, provided you take part in the proceedings, it is when folk let political do what ever they want after they get elected, is when our society starts go to hell in a hand basket, if citizens don’t continuously monitor what politicians do they have failed as Americans, ya gotta ride herd on elected officials, they to often are up to no good. Now me, I don’t mind a new stadium at all, but citizens have the responsibility and legal right to speak out and control their government, it is what makes America Great. 

Go Bills!!!

I understand how civics work lol. But there are much larger expenditures at pretty much every level of government where no one is demanding public hearings and transparency. Hell, most people have no idea where their money is going but for some reason when it comes to a football stadium everyone's ears perk up.

It's really a selective concern, and when you factor in the impact on the average taxpayer over the life of a potential deal, the discussion doesn't seem quite so notable. Whatever happens, the average person will barely notice that anything has changed with their finances.

5 hours ago, buffblue said:

I understand how civics work lol. But there are much larger expenditures at pretty much every level of government where no one is demanding public hearings and transparency. Hell, most people have no idea where their money is going but for some reason when it comes to a football stadium everyone's ears perk up.

It's really a selective concern, and when you factor in the impact on the average taxpayer over the life of a potential deal, the discussion doesn't seem quite so notable. Whatever happens, the average person will barely notice that anything has changed with their finances.

There are such hearings over just about everything but we don't notice or care because it doesn't involve football.  Take a minute or two to peruse the NYS Administrative Procedures Act and you'll see that the hearings called for here are not selective in the least. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, buffblue said:

Fair enough, but like it or not, a NFL football stadium is always a money losing proposition for the taxpayers/ municipalities that opt to build them, and everyone knows this.

So when undertaking this additional tax burden, all financials should be openly discussed prior to breaking ground, in hopes to keep tomfoolery to a dull roar, as it were, nothing wrong with that.

It’s not like they are proposing a public utility, this is primarily for the financial gain of a multi billionaire, who already has the financial wear with all to out right purchase the stadium, and still be a multi billionaire, when all is said and done.

Let’s be clear on this point. The Pegulas don’t need the public money to build a stadium.

Go Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Fair enough, but like it or not, a NFL football stadium is always a money losing proposition for the taxpayers/ municipalities that opt to build them, and everyone knows this.

So when undertaking this additional tax burden, all financials should be openly discussed prior to breaking ground, in hopes to keep tomfoolery to a dull roar, as it were, nothing wrong with that.

It’s not like they are proposing a public utility, this is primarily for the financial gain of a multi billionaire, who already has the financial wear with all to out right purchase the stadium, and still be a multi billionaire, when all is said and done.

Let’s be clear on this point. The Pegulas don’t need the public money to build a stadium.

Go Bills!!!

To be honest I don't disagree too much and I do get what you're saying. I'm just skeptical that these sorts of proceedings won't lead to public acrimony and have a negative effect on negotiations. At some point when you go this route, won't there be a demand for a referendum? If so I believe that would seriously jeopardize the future of the team. It certainly has for other cities in this situation.

Anyhow, just hope they get it done sooner rather than later so us fans can point our focus squarely at what is happening on the field. And indeed, go Bills!

5 minutes ago, buffblue said:

To be honest I don't disagree too much and I do get what you're saying. I'm just skeptical that these sorts of proceedings won't lead to public acrimony and have a negative effect on negotiations. At some point when you go this route, won't there be a demand for a referendum? If so I believe that would seriously jeopardize the future of the team. It certainly has for other cities in this situation.

Anyhow, just hope they get it done sooner rather than later so us fans can point our focus squarely at what is happening on the field. And indeed, go Bills!

It seems to me you have to have these "hearings" in place of a referendum.