Bills/Texans All-22 Review - The Athletic

HappyDays

1. Spencer Brown’s more than encouraging debut

Much like he did in mop-up duty in the previous weeks, Brown popped on film for great reasons. His size (6-foot-8, 311 pounds) immediately stands out, but it’s his combination of movement skills and power that catches the eye. Brown is an effortless mover out of his stance. He can effectively take fluid steps to his kick-slide without it ever looking difficult. That foot quickness is rare for offensive tackles, and it gives him a chance against most speed rushers to the outside. His long arms (34 3/4 inches) also keep him in every pass-blocking rep, even if he’s initially slow to react to the snap. He’ll catch defenders as they try to turn the corner, use his strength to force them wide, and if the defender loses his edge, Brown always looks to bury his opponent into the ground. He did this several times against the Texans, and it’s not just a simple flop on the downed defender. Brown uses his body as a missile to punish the defender for going to the ground.

As a run blocker, Brown has the movement skills and power to reach the second level or control the defensive end and turn him the way he wants.

Regardless of some minor issues, this was an excellent debut for a rookie third-round pick — and an offensive lineman with a higher degree of difficulty to adapt, no less. If Brown can continue to show signs of this potential against more challenging opponents, the Bills might be on to something with an overlooked, small-school prospect. With how well he played, I wouldn’t expect Brown to come out of the lineup anytime soon.

2. Star Lotulelei’s pass-rushing renaissance

Lotulelei has been one of the most consistent and impactful pass-rushing defensive linemen this season. He has the team’s second-highest season-long pressure percentage at 14.9, and with seven total pressures, he has almost doubled Ed Oliver’s total on 30 fewer pass-rushing snaps. He also posted the highest pressure percentage against the Texans and led the Bills in pressures.

He’s winning his one-on-ones quickly, as well, and it’s creating disharmony in the backfield. The Bills have caught wind of this more impactful version of Lotulelei and have started to give him snaps at three-technique defensive tackle.

3. One game in, right guard a far better fit for Daryl Williams

One game in, it went pretty well for Williams. In his first three games at right tackle, he struggled considerably with speed to the edge — something that wasn’t a huge issue last season. He was a bit slow off the snap and can’t recover like some quicker offensive tackles. That is far less of an issue at guard, where Williams’ athleticism becomes above average and combats less twitchy opponents.

Unlike Brown, Williams did have a tough matchup against the Texans. Defensive tackle Maliek Collins is a highly underrated defender and will get some instant wins on pass-rushing snaps. He got the better of Williams on a handful of them early in the game. However, as the game continued, Williams settled in. He looked controlled, anchored well against some bull-rushing opponents, and had the side-to-side speed to combat Collins while working between the center and tackle “in a phone booth.”

4. Boogie Basham’s disappointing debut
In his NFL debut Sunday, rookie defensive end Boogie Basham, the Bills’ second-round pick, caught the eye for registering a sack. However, after reviewing the film of his first game, Basham’s day left a lot to be desired.

Basham routinely got stonewalled against the Texans. He was a bit too slow off the snap on some reps and was easily controlled by his blockers. He was even ineffective against some one-on-ones with a tight end. He wasn’t powerful enough to bull rush and usually wasn’t quick enough to gain the edge.

5. Zack Moss displays vision, physicality and explosiveness

Zack Moss ran with confidence and maximized most of his opportunities. Moss didn’t take only the obvious or settle for running out wide, which has been a characteristic of his early career. Against the Texans, Moss actively looked for and found the creases, setting up blocks as he went and slithered through tiny creases to get into open air. When he trusts what he sees, as he did Sunday, he shows good explosiveness at the beginning of the rep. Moss maximized yardage by the end of the attempts by fighting through contact — a staple of his game that the Bills depend on in short-yardage situations.

Top 5 grades:

1) Dawkins

2) Lotulelei

3) Brown

4) Moss

5) White

Bottom 5 grades (worst to 5th worst)

1) Basham

2) Epenesa

3) Rousseau

4) Zimmer

5) Beasley

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Great write up and Athletic does great sports journalism. 

What's up with Espensa?    He looked like he was going to take league by storm, but the last two games hes come back to earth.

I'm really liking the right side of the line now.  Great job Beane finding Brown in 3rd!

That is too bad to hear about Boogie.  I recall reading the Bills had a trade down in place(Denver?) unless one player was available at pick- that was Boogie-Bills had a much higher grade then rest of league on Boogie

37 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Top 5 grades:

1) Dawkins

2) Lotulelei

3) Brown

4) Moss

5) White

Bottom 5 grades (worst to 5th worst)

1) Basham

2) Epenesa

3) Rousseau

4) Zimmer

5) Beasley

What this exemplifies is the NFL is a game of match ups.

One week Rousseau and Epenesa look like future all pros, the next they are at the Bottom of the list.  Same with Beasley who what had 11 catches the prior week?

• Like (+1) 2

I think he is harsh on AJ who had two pressures on limited snaps. Fairer on Groot, thought that was his worst game tbh. Houston handled him without much fuss (again small sample size, limited snaps). 

Not sure I am as overjoyed with Williams at right guard. There were two plays where the rush came on his inside shoulder and he tripped over himself trying to adjust and fell over leaving free rushers at Allen. 

Other than that and not being sure how Edmunds didn't crack Joe's top 5 I don't have a lot to disagree with this week.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he is harsh on AJ who had two pressures on limited snaps. Fairer on Groot, thought that was his worst game tbh. Houston handled him without much fuss (again small sample size, limited snaps). 

Not sure I am as overjoyed with Williams at right guard. There were two plays where the rush came on his inside shoulder and he tripped over himself trying to adjust and fell over leaving free rushers at Allen. 

Other than that and not being sure how Edmunds didn't crack Joe's top 5 I don't have a lot to disagree with this week.

On the third play, Groot jumped up in Mills’ face as he was about to pass which caused him to bring it down and just lose the ball on that weird fumble. He should have been credited with a sack or half sack. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I didn't post the full section on Williams, but he does mention some of the negative plays and said part of it may have been lack of chemistry between Williams and Brown. Like on the ridiculous throw Allen had to Diggs, the two free rushers ran a simple stunt that Williams and Brown misplayed. He also said Williams settled in as the game went on after working through early struggles.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He gave 13 players a B+, Edmunds was one of them. He had him ranked 10th overall. Since he didn't write anything on him I'm not sure why he was less impressed than others.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I didn't post the full section on Williams, but he does mention some of the negative plays and said part of it may have been lack of chemistry between Williams and Brown. Like on the ridiculous throw Allen had to Diggs, the two free rushers ran a simple stunt that Williams and Brown misplayed. He also said Williams settled in as the game went on after working through early struggles.

He gave 13 players a B+, Edmunds was one of them. He had him ranked 10th overall. Since he didn't write anything on him I'm not sure why he was less impressed than others.

Yea I have read the full version. I still think too high on Williams, too low on AJ and Tremaine compared to what I saw when I went through it. 

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

On the third play, Groot jumped up in Mills’ face as he was about to pass which caused him to bring it down and just lose the ball on that weird fumble. He should have been credited with a sack or half sack. 

Would it get down as a sack if it was a fumble recovery?

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Would it get down as a sack if it was a fumble recovery?

They counted it as a “team” sack. To me, Groot caused the fumble and then he or he and Milano fell on Mills’ as he recovered it. I would have given Groot a sack. He caused the fumble. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Nah. He would have to more physically cause the sack.

He physically caused the sack without hitting him. ;)

3 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I hope everyone subscribes to the Athletic. It's small investment to ensure the generation of good content. 

Im subscribed (for over a year now) but i’m still on the fence.

Like most reporters, Buscaglia has no professional football experience. How do I have any idea if the way he is analyzing the film is correct? People bash PFF, who has analysts that watch thousands of hours of game film for every player in the NFL. Yet we trust local reporters that watch a few hours each week.

Edited by Einstein

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Im subscribed (for over a year now) but i’m still on the fence.

Like most reporters, Buscaglia has no professional football experience. How do I have any idea if the way he is analyzing the film is correct? People bash PFF, who has analysts that watch thousands of hours of game film for every player in the NFL. Yet we trust local reporters that watch a few hours each week.

For me, the difference is Buscaglia has earned my trust over the years. I don't always agree with him, but he's demonstrated in his reporting, analysis and podcasts to be a very level-headed, well-reasoned observer of the Bills. Unlike PFF and other outlets, I don't know the analysts, their backgrounds, how closely they follow a team, their analytical criteria, etc.  

On the other hand, Buscaglia (and, IMO, most of the Bills beat reporters - and quite a few "amateur" writers/commentators/podcasters), follows the team nearly every single day of the year and over time, I've learned to trust his judgement. Moreover, I like that he methodically explains his reasoning. Again, I don't always agree, but I appreciate the thought process. 

Others I like:

- Joe Marino. 

- Matt Parrino & Ryan Talbot

- Bruce Nolan (though his schtick often gets really thick)

- Gregg Tompsett (very good on capology) 

- Sal Cappaccio (I don't follow him as much but has some good nuggets)

Getting to know:

- Matt Bove

- John Fina.  I like his analysis but the show's production is a bit of a mess.

Last, I want The Athletic and other outlets to survive because I don't want to rely solely on national reporters checking-in on the Bills every once in a while. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Great write up and Athletic does great sports journalism. 

What's up with Espensa?    He looked like he was going to take league by storm, but the last two games hes come back to earth.

I'm really liking the right side of the line now.  Great job Beane finding Brown in 3rd!

That is too bad to hear about Boogie.  I recall reading the Bills had a trade down in place(Denver?) unless one player was available at pick- that was Boogie-Bills had a much higher grade then rest of league on Boogie

Take the defensive grades from this game with a grain of salt. Houston had only 42 offensive snaps, and their last dozen or so were against backups. Moreover, they are so bad and the Bills blew them out so badly that I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills' defenders were in "injury prevention mode" after going 19-0 early in the third. That game was over relatively early. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.