Tremaine Edmunds named AFC Defensive Player of the Week

nato7412

2 hours ago, eball said:

Oh boy...this should create some fun commentary around here:

The Athletic (paid sub)

(snip)

Simply put, the Bills love Edmunds. They likely see him as a significant part of their future, regardless of the noise. He’s a pillar of the defense and a core building block for a team looking to be a perennial contender.

When the Bills are praised for keeping their stud MLB, some fans are gonna lose their minds. 

3 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

From what @BADOLBILZ says this isn't suppose to happen lol. 

Actually I said the opposite.........that hit was concerning that he couldn't make big plays against the bad QB's they've been facing.   

If not then..........when?

Fortunately he came thru with what I'd call the game of his career to this point..........be it against a rookie QB in his first road start in the pouring rain.

It's not easy for even an elite MLB to impact a game against a good QB though.   That job generally falls on the higher paid positions.......like pass rushers and cover corners.   See the woeful performance by Edmunds in the AFCCG last year for just how ugly it can get.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually I said the opposite.........that hit was concerning that he couldn't make big plays against the bad QB's they've been facing.   

Fortunately he came thru with what I'd call the game of his career to this point..........be it against a rookie QB in his first road start in the pouring rain.

It's not easy for even an elite MLB to impact a game against a good QB though.   That job generally falls on the higher paid positions.......like pass rushers and cover corners.   See the woeful performance by Edmunds in the AFCCG last year for just how ugly it can get.

Best 2 games of Edmunds career so far are this past one as you mentioned, and in the AFC Wild Card game vs. Houston , Jan 2020. He was a monster in that game!

56 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Best 2 games of Edmunds career so far are this past one as you mentioned, and in the AFC Wild Card game vs. Houston , Jan 2020. He was a monster in that game!

I'd agree with that and the other two competitors for his best games, IMO, were the last two games of his rookie season(NE and Miami)..........he finished his rookie season looking like a future All Pro.

It just didn't materialize over the next two seasons or the beginning of this one.

Hopefully this flash turns into illumination.    Normally the position is manned by instinctive players so they hit the ground running..........but we just saw last year Roquan Smith from Edmunds' class go from disappointing to difference maker.

It's not a lack of physical tools.........it's been between the ears.    Whether that's processing speed or killer instinct/focus or even just confidence something has been holding him back.   

One of the more interesting aspects of this season to me was that the Bills won 13 regular season games last year despite having a number of highly invested-in young players that still had A LOT of room for improvement.     Edmunds, Ed Oliver,  Dawson Knox,  Cody Ford............and tbh,  in the preseason it looked like "none of the above" were going to take that step.   If 2-3 of the 4 become real difference makers at their positions that's a lot of ground gained for the quality of the roster.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You don't need to ask when, because it's happened all along. Consistently. That's why he's been twice a Pro Bowler, why he's consistently on lists of best LBs, why he's far more highly valued around the league than you and your small group are willing to understand.

Could he be better? Sure, that's fair enough. But he's already been damn good for a long time.

He makes a lot of plays, but they aren't the kind that you seem willing to accept as within your definition of big plays or impact plays, but that's on your definition, not on Edmunds' performance.

If he was making no big plays they wouldn't have agreed to guarantee him above $13M next year. He's had sacks, he's had forced fumbles, QB hits, a safety, tackles for loss, a bunch of third down stops and a lot of passes defensed. Interceptions. Hurries. Pressures. He had that terrific goal line stuff last year. And those are just the countable obvious ones.

In four playoff games he's managed 4 QB hits, a sack, a tackle for loss, a fumble recovery and three passes defensed.

He's been making big plays all along. And that's not mention all the ones he made like the one Cover One pointed out last week where he covers well and forces QBs to pull it down and look elsewhere. Those aren't countable and they often aren't even clearly observable but they're one of the main things the Bills love about Tremaine. QBs take a look across the middle and see those big long arms and they pull it down more than they do for most LBs. 

You aren't seeing it. Thing is, the Bills are.

Edited by Thurman#1

23 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You don't need to ask when, because it's happened all along. Consistently. That's why he's been twice a Pro Bowler, why he's consistently on lists of best LBs, why he's far more highly valued around the league than you and your small group are willing to understand.

Could he be better? Sure, that's fair enough. But he's already been damn good for a long time.

He makes a lot of plays, but they aren't the kind that you seem willing to accept as within your definition of big plays or impact plays, but that's on your definition, not on Edmunds' performance.

If he was making no big plays they wouldn't have agreed to guarantee him above $13M next year. He's had sacks, he's had forced fumbles, QB hits, a safety, tackles for loss, a bunch of third down stops and a lot of passes defensed. Interceptions. Hurries. Pressures. He had that terrific goal line stuff last year. And those are just the countable obvious ones.

In four playoff games he's managed 4 QB hits, a sack, a tackle for loss, a fumble recovery and three passes defensed.

He's been making big plays all along. And that's not mention all the ones he made like the one Cover One pointed out last week where he covers well and forces QBs to pull it down and look elsewhere. Those aren't countable and they often aren't even clearly observable but they're one of the main things the Bills love about Tremaine. QBs take a look across the middle and see those big long arms and they pull it down more than they do for most LBs. 

You aren't seeing it. Thing is, the Bills are.

No,  he hasn't made nearly enough plays for the talent he has or the investment they made in him.   

He had a very good playoff game versus Houston a couple years ago.......one of the best games of his career.

Unfortunately, the AFCCG was one of his worst.     The Chiefs intentionally moved Kelce away from Milano and forced Edmunds to play him in the Bills zone defense.    They directly attacked and shredded him.    The idea that he has been silently excellent in coverage despite not making plays is wrong.     He's been especially vulnerable since teams have taken the tact of forcing him to cover and not just hover.    What he needs to do to stop that is make plays on the football like he did with that interception last week.

I've consistently said he's one of the 10-12 best ILB/MLB in the NFL............but the difference between that and being elite is making big plays.

6 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Cover 1 review of Edmunds in case you haven't seen.  As I said above.  People don't give him credit for what he does in coverage. 

It's the typical Bills fan mentality:  If our LB doesn't get multiple sacks per game, then he sucks, is not doing his job and is a bust.

Just now, Gugny said:

It's the typical Bills fan mentality:  If our LB doesn't get multiple sacks per game, then he sucks, is not doing his job and is a bust.

Or, to the “experts” on this board, he’s not “instinctual” enough and only gets away with what he does because of his athletic ability.  In other words, they claim he’s wasting his athletic talents.  Never a mention of his youth and how the coaches love him, or what his role is in the defense.

1 minute ago, eball said:

Or, to the “experts” on this board, he’s not “instinctual” enough and only gets away with what he does because of his athletic ability.  In other words, they claim he’s wasting his athletic talents.  Never a mention of his youth and how the coaches love him, or what his role is in the defense.

I had someone (Bandit) tell me in the Shoutbox that Singletary only averaged 5.1 yards per carry in his rookie year because opposing defenses were "giving him" those yards.

Edmunds can get all the honors he wants this year in the media, etc but the only honor that matters will be a call from his agent saying he’s got a long term contract. Beane’s going to have to make decision. It’ll cause a lot of conversation on here no matter which way he decides to go. 

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Edmunds can get all the honors he wants this year in the media, etc but the only honor that matters will be a call from his agent saying he’s got a long term contract. Beane’s going to have to make decision. It’ll cause a lot of conversation on here no matter which way he decides to go. 

This has already been decided. McBeane love Edmunds. His will be the next contract extended and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it comes soon, just depends on salary cap ramifications on when it occurs.

9 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

This has already been decided. McBeane love Edmunds. His will be the next contract extended and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it comes soon, just depends on salary cap ramifications on when it occurs.

I’ve no doubt you’re right about the decision from McBeane but it all comes down to money. Just because the Bills like him doesn’t mean some other team will like him more. Another thing the fanbase has never had to figure in (unfortunately) is “if” the Bills win it all this year, does that factor in on players deciding to stay or go. Some are bound leave for the money if they’ve already won a trophy. (Can’t believe I had the guts to type that!)

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve no doubt you’re right about the decision from McBeane but it all comes down to money. Just because the Bills like him doesn’t mean some other team will like him more. Another thing the fanbase has never had to figure in (unfortunately) is “if” the Bills win it all this year, does that factor in on players deciding to stay or go. Some are bound leave for the money if they’ve already won a trophy. (Can’t believe I had the guts to type that!)

He’s signed through the 2022 season with the 5th year option so he won’t be testing the waters. This will get done sooner rather than later and I’d say the latest will be this summer before the season starts. I really think it’s a matter of Beane figuring out the structure and how to keep it as team friendly as possible because Edmunds is going to get paid big. 

52 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Cover 1 review of Edmunds in case you haven't seen.  As I said above.  People don't give him credit for what he does in coverage. 

Great video...I was not always the biggest Edmunds fan...but even I could notice a “step up” in his play this season, and am quite pleased...

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.