Gilmore released

One question I have-if he was physically ready and so good why would a team get rid of such a great player? I don’t care what your salary cap is, it’s all about winning now in the NFL and you don’t just get rid of your best defender. There’s something else going on here.

• Eyeroll 2

33 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Marshon Lattimore just signed one of the richest CB deals in history and has only a $4 million cap hit this year.

I don’t think Gilmore will sign a 1 year deal. He could easily get a 4 year monster deal with cap pushed to the future.

There's not a snowball's chance in hell he signs a 4 year deal at age 31 and coming off some soft tissue lower body injuries. Any GM that does that should be fired on the spot.

Boundary corners who primarily play man don't have a shelf life past their early 30s as the speed to keep up with outside wideouts drops off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

One question I have-if he was physically ready and so good why would a team get rid of such a great player? I don’t care what your salary cap is, it’s all about winning now in the NFL and you don’t just get rid of your best defender. There’s something else going on here.

The guy has often run from competition, failed in big moments, caused issues at key times and generally I see him as a full time mercenary and part time player. Reminds me of J Bird.  He is no D Sanders, or even T White. 

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

He never wanted to be here. He didn’t want to come here and he couldn’t wait to leave. It’s a much different culture here now but I still don’t think it would happen. Not in a million years

Fan culture hasn't changed. They know it all...till they don't. And they don't. He was really good here. Unless you're a Bills fan.

Sincerely,

Star

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He didn't like it here the first time he was here, I highly doubt he would sign here now despite the fact that we are a much better team. I would also suspect he is not a Beane and McDermott type of guy. Would have upgrade CB2, absolutely. Just don't see them going for it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

For any other coach you be 100% correct. This is BB who is literally playing with house money and people here are happy with the shiny new QB and realize the Pats aren’t SB contenders and are a few pieces away. (If the D gels)  BB last two drafts APPEAR be good with Dugger,Uche, Jones, Baremore, and probably Stevenson to name a few.

in other words BB has job security he can play the medium to long game most other coaches can’t.  (Gilmore wasn’t in the plans)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

There is your next TB Corner back.

🤦‍♂️

Signing Gilmore will help our pass rush,  just look at the first game loss and who got abused.  This is the in season upgrade that could put the Bills over the hump.  Levi Wallace is not a starting corner in  this league.  Adding Gilmore would give the Bills the best starting secondaries in NFL.  Those extra secs of tight coverage allows your front 4 to get to the QB. 

Look at what Ben did to Wallace in game 1 and you cannot use our past 3 games as sample of improvement because we played trash QB'S.  Gilmore is also big & physical enough to cover Kelce.  You want to go to the Super Bowl then you need great corners

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

The guy has often run from competition, failed in big moments, caused issues at key times and generally I see him as a full time mercenary and part time player. Reminds me of J Bird.  He is no D Sanders, or even T White. 

Umm just No.  he showed up big in all the playoff runs since year 1 making key plays ensure victory.. but that’s the past and he is 31 and well past his prime.. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

The Pick in the SuperBowl of Goff was a pretty big success in a big moment

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Can you imagine the risk though for any team signing him? He wants a boatload of money And he is 33 and been really banged up the last 2 years. Good luck with that. 

He is 31.  And what he wants (irrelevant) vs what the market says (relevant) is the matter.

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Can you imagine the risk though for any team signing him? He wants a boatload of money And he is 33 and been really banged up the last 2 years. Good luck with that. 

He just turned 31.

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Signing Gilmore will help our pass rush,  just look at the first game loss and who got abused.  This is the in season upgrade that could put the Bills over the hump.  Levi Wallace is not a starting corner in  this league.  Adding Gilmore would give the Bills the best starting secondaries in NFL.  Those extra secs of tight coverage allows your front 4 to get to the QB. 

Look at what Ben did to Wallace in game 1 and you cannot use our past 3 games as sample of improvement because we played trash QB'S.  Gilmore is also big & physical enough to cover Kelce.  You want to go to the Super Bowl then you need great corners

its funny that you think Wallace played poorly in game 1. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you that we could upgrade cb2, but in that game his "interference" was questionable at best (no, you don't need to turn your head around as a corner. That rule was removed in like the 90's) and he had literally perfect coverage and even got a piece of the ball on the D Johnson TD play. He 100% did not play poorly in that game. The Steelers had their 1 healthy game and we basically shut down their running and passing game.

Bottom line is with a franchise QB on the books now, we can't have all the pretty toys we want at every position. The Wallaces of the world sometimes have to be  enough in those spots (like cb2) for the big picture to work.

13 minutes ago, uninja said:

There's not a snowball's chance in hell he signs a 4 year deal at age 31 and coming off some soft tissue lower body injuries. Any GM that does that should be fired on the spot.

Boundary corners who primarily play man don't have a shelf life past their early 30s as the speed to keep up with outside wideouts drops off.

This is true

1 minute ago, 34-78-83 said:

its funny that you think Wallace played poorly in game 1. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you that we could upgrade cb2, but in that game his "interference" was questionable at best (no, you don't need to turn your head around as a corner. That rule was removed in like the 90's) and he had literally perfect coverage and even got a piece of the ball on the D Johnson TD play. He 100% did not play poorly in that game. The Steelers had their 1 healthy game and we basically shut down their running and passing game.

Bottom line is with a franchise QB on the books now, we can't have all the pretty toys we want at every position. The Wallaces of the world sometimes have to be  enough in those spots (like cb2) for the big picture to work.

31 yr cb coming off of injury and being released is hardly a pretty toy. He's not signing here, but he would surely make our d better.

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

31 yr cb coming off of injury and being released is hardly a pretty toy. He's not signing here, but he would surely make our d better.

Sure for the right price (not the highest bidder price being touted) and if he can play in a mostly zone off coverage scheme. I think he'll make a much better Raven.

• Agree 1