Gilmore released

2 hours ago, Clemfield2622 said:

I hate Belichick, but the guy gets the most out of every defender. Gilmore went from an average player here, to All-Pro in New England. We'll see how he fares if they decide to start calling him for holding again now that he's out of NE. 

No he didn't. He went from an extremely good defender here who the fanbase got angry at because he left for money reasons ... to an even better defender in New England. 

He was really good here. We just weren't willing to pay him what he wanted. The man/zone thing also played in. And fans hate guys who won't give a hometown discount. We were having serious cap problems at that time even though the roster wasn't good enough to be having serious cap problems.

Edited by Thurman#1

12 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

From everything we heard when Gilmore was here was that he was an incredibly hard worker. Taking care of his body, watching a ton of tape to get an edge, and always working on his craft. I don’t get where all the Gilmore hate comes from. Because he didn’t smile when he was drafted? So what. Buffalo had a terrible reputation when he was drafted here and didn’t show much improvement while he was here. The organization was a joke. So, he goes and enjoys a little success elsewhere (says he is excited to be on TV more) and becomes the target of a bunch of Bills fan hate. I don’t get it. 

He won’t come back here, but we’d be lucky to get him as a #2 corner opposite Tre. Especially, with how much a lot of people on here foolishly try to replace Levi Wallace at every turn. Be careful what you wish for. 

image.png.7c815f64e4b6c5f60120903163de6faf.png

Smiling and enjoying fans who appreciate his play. Hint: those aren't Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Wallace, like every other Cb2 would on teams not named the Dolphins, will have his struggles vs. KC for sure! That doesn't mean we should get Gilly to play zone for 15 mil.

can't do it for that price.. doesn't work. He is a mostly man coverage defender. If he would take less and the coaches think he can play in our scheme, sure but that's not gonna happen likely.

And no, you DO NOT need to turn your head around in coverage. That is a 100% myth. They stopped enforcing that long ago. The in-broadcast refs that they have in many games these days have gone over this many times in their evals on interference calls. You're not alone in believing that its still a thing, but you're wrong.

example-

"Jay Stark

, Two years working for an NFL team & 20 years working for the league.

Answered December 23, 2015

Originally Answered: Is it pass interference if a defensive back never looks back at the quarterback when the ball is thrown to the receiver?

It is 'defensive' pass interference only if there is contact by the DB that inhibits the ability of the receiver to make the catch. He can go in front of the receiver, making incidental contact, in order to catch the ball. He may not drive through the receiver to make the catch. There is no rule that either the receiver or the defender must ever look back for the ball. It just makes sense for both of them to do so. While the ball is in the air, it is pass interference if either offensive or defensive player(s) inhibits (using contact) the ability of the opposing player, to catch the ball."

and...

"

Richard Livornese

Answered September 26, 2013

Originally Answered: Is it pass interference if a defensive back never looks back at the quarterback when the ball is thrown to the receiver?

What you describe is sometimes referred to as 'face guarding'. There was a time when this was a penalty in the NFL- it no longer is. Unless the defender makes contact with the receiver, it is not a penalty.

(See Rule 8 Sec. 5 Article 1 in the NFL Rule book for the complete definition of what is pass interference as well as some things that are not)"

Agreed it's not written, but if the contact is borderline, looking vs not looking is going to be the tie breaker right? Could be wrong here

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Bring him home

Buff was never his home,  he barely tolerated it from draft day till the day he was happy to leave.    dont want him.  at this point in his career,  hes nothing more than a merc,  who wants to be payed.

Edited by bigduke6

Just now, BillsShredder83 said:

Agreed it's not written, but if the contact is borderline, looking vs not looking is going to be the tie breaker right? Could be wrong here

No sir from a technical standpoint. The refs have been trained out of that for 2 decades at this point. Human nature however play a role at times where a ref may assume something happened that didn't because a guy isn't looking for the ball. That would just be bad reffing at that point though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Wallace, like every other Cb2 would on teams not named the Dolphins, will have his struggles vs. KC for sure! That doesn't mean we should get Gilly to play zone for 15 mil.

can't do it for that price.. doesn't work. He is a mostly man coverage defender. If he would take less and the coaches think he can play in our scheme, sure but that's not gonna happen likely.

And no, you DO NOT need to turn your head around in coverage. That is a 100% myth. They stopped enforcing that long ago. The in-broadcast refs that they have in many games these days have gone over this many times in their evals on interference calls. You're not alone in believing that its still a thing, but you're wrong.

You do need to turn your head around if you hit the guy. The defender has the same right to the ball as the receiver, if he's trying to make a play on the ball. You can't do that without turning your head. It won't always get called perfectly, but that's the rule and it's generally called that way, especially if you hit the guy egregiously. That's downfield anyway, when the ball's coming in.

It's all a judgment call, but that plays into their judgment.

"WHILE THE BALL IS IN THE AIR

"Acts that are pass interference include, but are not limited to:

"Contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the opponent’s opportunity to make the catch; ..."

Edited by Thurman#1

Obviously if there was any real chance for the Bills to sign him and he wanted to come back here I would say get it done.

But realistically this is going to be a situation where he probably goes to the highest bidder which could be a team like Carolina that looks like a playoff team but not a true SB contender at the moment.

But if he's truly interested in competing for a ring then he would take less money to go to a team like TB, KC, GB, BUF, etc. TB is the guess for one obvious reason.

2 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

He never wanted to be here. He didn’t want to come here and he couldn’t wait to leave. It’s a much different culture here now but I still don’t think it would happen. Not in a million years

I think the vastly different culture may be the reason for him wanting to leave, and it may be the reason he comes back.  I'm not sure he "never wanted to be here," I think he hated losing.  

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

In order of likelihood:

1. KC

2. TB

3. CAR

4. BAL

5. JAX

Jax???  

I think: 

1. TB

2. KC

3. BUF

4. BAL

5. CAR

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

You do need to turn your head around if you hit the guy. The defender has the same right to the ball as the receiver, if he's trying to make a play on the ball. You can't do that without turning your head. It won't always get called perfectly, but that's the rule and it's generally called that way, especially if you hit the guy egregiously. That's downfield anyway, when the ball's coming in.

incorrect - see my quotes of the rule I added to my original post. Not a single thing about turning the head is involved in interference. You are literally now allowed to wait til the ball hits a guy's hand while starring right in his face and then make a play on it. This has been the case for many years at this point.

Edited by 34-78-83

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think the vastly different culture may be the reason for him wanting to leave, and it may be the reason he comes back.  I'm not sure he "never wanted to be here," I think he hated losing.  

Jax???  

I think: 

1. TB

2. KC

3. BUF

4. BAL

5. CAR

Money talks and JAX has by far the most cap space.

I would like to think BUF has a higher likelihood, but have learned not to bet against McBeane’s Levi Love

3 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

i get some of u talking about Wallace and PI's.    hes done fine this season,  and from what ive watched across the league,  the PI calls have been extremely inconsistent.

Our improved D-line is making our entire secondary look elite.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

The revisionist history on Gilmore is hilarious…. Dude was really good here. Fans hated him because he signed with the Patriots and talked ***** to bills fans after the fact. 

Yup. It actualy started before that, but that was the capper.