Carl Cheffers, referee in Chiefs-Bucs Super Bowl, draws Bills-Chiefs rematch

Peace Frog

Just now, Captain Caveman said:

I'm not blaming anything on the refs, I am saying there is value in knowing the refs tendencies (both historically and in game) and adjusting accordingly.  

I remember reading something in training camp where it made me think they were practicing this, as we should.  there are wr's that made careers out of subtle push offs, right in the grey area, as well as DBs that mastered the inverse of this.  its an art, and you better know when to use it or keep it in the bag

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, H2o said:

Hopefully that means the Chiefs don't get away with Defensive Holding and DPI for the entirety of the game this time. And that clowns like Chris Jones can't swing on our players without as much as a 15 yard flag. I hate the Chiefs. From their walrus for a coach, to their arrogant rat of a QB, to their child abusing WR, to their uzi toting wanna be Tony Montana DE, seriously, :censored: all those guys. May their jock straps be lined with Icy Hot forever. 

YOU sir win the POST OF THE DAY!!!!

6 hours ago, Utah John said:

You can't blame the Chiefs for being upset.  They beat the Bills in the AFCCG through defensive holding on our receivers, and then they were shocked shocked they couldn't get away with it in the SB.

That illustrates one of the major problems with officiating in the NFL, game to game inconsistency.  In addition to everything else players have to try to be aware of the officiating crew's tendencies on that particular day.  What infractions are they looking for?  What will they let their opponents get away with doing?

2 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

A big reason why is that Tampa Bay held their weapons (like the Chiefs like to do) - again, knowing the refs and their tendencies is part of coaching.

Every team holds on every play.  Unless you think that the refs were working together to only call it on the Chiefs, then the Bucs, seeing holding being called a lot in the first half, would have laid off.  Second half: Chiefs with 3 points.

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Every team holds on every play.  Unless you think that the refs were working together to only call it on the Chiefs, then the Bucs, seeing holding being called a lot in the first half, would have laid off.  Second half: Chiefs with 3 points.

I've said 3-4 times now in this thread that I am not blaming refs, I am saying that smart players and coaches pay attention to how the game is being called and adjust (which is something we didn't really do last year.)

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I've said 3-4 times now in this thread that I am not blaming refs, I am saying that smart players and coaches pay attention to how the game is being called and adjust (which is something we didn't really do last year.)

If the Bucs could see the refs were calling it tight in the first half, how were they able to successfully hold the Chiefs' weapons?  Wouldn't they adjust away from that strategy, seeing how the game was being called?

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

That illustrates one of the major problems with officiating in the NFL, game to game inconsistency.  In addition to everything else players have to try to be aware of the officiating crew's tendencies on that particular day.  What infractions are they looking for?  What will they let their opponents get away with doing?

Officiating in every sport has a high degree of subjectivity. It will never be an exact science. I think the players just simply prefer consistency. If refs are consistent the players will get a feel and know how to play.

5 hours ago, uninja said:

The refs are there to maintain control, if the chiefs are mugging us we should return the favor and dare the refs to keep things civil. Feel like that’s why we got pushed around in the afccg, they were pushing us around and we didn’t dare push back. 

If the lack of response to Gronk's flying elbow to the back of Tre's head was any indication, this Bills team is not interested in physical play or violence.  The Bills do not fit the AFC north playstyle.

13 hours ago, H2o said:

Hopefully that means the Chiefs don't get away with Defensive Holding and DPI for the entirety of the game this time. And that clowns like Chris Jones can't swing on our players without as much as a 15 yard flag. I hate the Chiefs. From their walrus for a coach, to their arrogant rat of a QB, to their child abusing WR, to their uzi toting wanna be Tony Montana DE, seriously, :censored: all those guys. May their jock straps be lined with Icy Hot forever. 

Agreed, but I like Andy Reid and I have nothing against Mahomes.

Every fanbase blames the refs after losses, ours is no different, just look at the game 1 threads vs Pittsburgh

4 hours ago, Buffalo ill said:

If the lack of response to Gronk's flying elbow to the back of Tre's head was any indication, this Bills team is not interested in physical play or violence.  The Bills do not fit the AFC north playstyle.

Preston Brown was dead to me the moment he just stood and watched it happen not 3 feet away and didn't raise a finger to Gronk

19 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/carl-cheffers-referee-in-chiefs-bucs-super-bowl-draws-bills-chiefs-rematch/article_8492edc0-262b-11ec-9bab-db3bd01025ed.html

The crew was criticized for calling eight penalties for 95 yards against the Chiefs in the first half.

There aren't too many things people post (especially during a "live" game forum) that irritate me BUT fans (of all teams) blaming refs when their team sucks is one of them.

16 hours ago, H2o said:

Don’t mince word with us,  if you were to reach out with your feelings you could more fully express yourself, and tell us what you really think, 

Go Bills!!!

9 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Hopefully KC won't get away with quite as much holding this time.....

Hopefully the Bills will be able to hold as much as KC did, and get away with it,