Schefter; Herbert is "lock" for HOF, Mahomes / Herbert best young QBs in NFL

Inigo Montoya

14 minutes ago, klos63 said:

People need to stop listening to these people. Also need to stop getting worked up about it. Wasted energy.

100% agree.  For arguments sake...let's just say all the talkign heads, polls, power rankings, lists....all say Allen is no.1  no debate, no argument...He's no.1.

And...so then what?  When you think aobut it....it's very trivial and does not matter.  Lomardis do.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

I have a hard time believing that Mahomes wouldn't have been at 5000/50 if he had played more in 2017.  

I'm not even saying that he couldn't have taken a big leap from 17 to 18....but to say NOT playing in 17 is the reason......if you reversed that....would you say then that if Mhaomes had started the final 8 games of 2017, that he would be worse than 500/50 in 2018?   

To be clear, I am not arguing that not playing in 2017 was the reason Mahomes was so good in 2018. - though I do think the chance to watch a capable vet go about his business, prepare and recover each week is important to a rookie.

My point is that we can’t say Mahomes was good right out of the gate because we didn’t see him right out of the gate.  

I don't buy into this narrative that 'Josh Allen had to develop into the QB he is today'. Has he improved each season? YES! But you would have to be daft blind or dumb to have not seen his greatness even in year one. For most of us bills fans, it was obvious he was the best QB we've seen in these parts in 20+ years. He had a crappy team around him still, an old team shedding/trading players and replacing them with young inexperienced rooks, but this narrative that somehow josh was bad in year 1 then all of a sudden better in year 2 and 3 is major league bullocks. 

Herbert is good, but all this talk is after he had a rather pedestrian game throwing for what, 25-38 for 240? come on those arn't even great passing numbers. Raiders are a middling franchise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

I don't buy into this narrative that 'Josh Allen had to develop into the QB he is today'. Has he improved each season? YES! But you would have to be daft blind or dumb to have not seen his greatness even in year one. For most of us bills fans, it was obvious he was the best QB we've seen in these parts in 20+ years. He had a crappy team around him still, an old team shedding/trading players and replacing them with young inexperienced rooks, but this narrative that somehow josh was bad in year 1 then all of a sudden better in year 2 and 3 is major league bullocks. 

Herbert is good, but all this talk is after he had a rather pedestrian game throwing for what, 25-38 for 240? come on those arn't even great passing numbers. Raiders are a middling franchise.

I don't know, that seems like a spot-on recollection of history to me. 

1 minute ago, QCity said:

I don't know, that seems like a spot-on recollection of history to me. 

Check my profile pic it's been there since year 1, sorry you were late on the uptake -- but I'm guessing you just had your preconceived notions about josh and didn't want to believe you were wrong for the first 12 months (like everyone else in the media).

Edited by BillsFan692

3 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Check my profile pic it's been there since year 1, sorry you were late on the uptake -- but I'm guessing you just had your preconceived notions about josh and didn't want to believe you were wrong for the first 12 months (like everyone else in the media).

You should have told our front office about your profile pic, those fools started Nathan Peterman over him.

2 minutes ago, QCity said:

You should have told our front office about your profile pic, those fools started Nathan Peterman over him.

As if this does anything at all to support your argument.  You don't have to tell me that I hit the nail on the head, I already know that I did. That IS funny though, I do remember it. Wow how wrong were they on that one? McDermott is really good but we all make mistakes, like you on your first year predictions of Josh Allen;)

Edited by BillsFan692

3 minutes ago, ALF said:

I'm just glad Miami drafted Tua instead of Herbert 

I think we can all agree on that one! Herbert is pretty good... I think the media getting a bit carried away after a 25-38 for 220 performance but the kid is good.

Herbert completed 25 of 38 passes for 222 yards and three touchdowns

I'm pretty sure if the media wants to get high about anyone it should be Josh Allen:!)

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, SCBills said:

They mentioned Josh Allen a few minutes later, and Schefter clarified that Josh Allen belongs there too, but they were discussing young QB's that came onto the scene firing on all cylinders - whereas Josh was developed into the guy he is now. 

Mahomee was redshirted for a season...does that count as development?

Both of those guys(Herbert and Mahomee) landed on fully loaded teams

18 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-west/los-angeles-chargers/nfl-world-reacts-to-adam-schefters-bold-justin-herbert-comment

Schefter made this pronouncement in the pregame commentary when the start of the game was delayed 30 minutes for a thunder storm.  (A $5 BILLION dome stadium and they can't play in it during a thunder storm?  What the h*ll?)

He also said during the same soliloquy that Mahomes and Herbert were the two best young QBs in the NFL and would be the choices of any NFL GM looking to start a franchise.

I'm not here to put down Mahomes or Herbert, I agree with Schefty that they are amazing young QBs.   I don't need to put them down to believe that Josh is fantastic too.  Was Schefty just throwing a hot take out there on the fly and just overlooked Allen, or does he really put Mahomes and Herbert in a different tier than Allen? 

I think Allen legitimately deserves to be in the conversation for best young NFL QB.  I would put Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, and Watson all in that group.  Watson obviously has some issues that could derail his career, and I could see some people leaving him out of that conversation right now because of it.  I'm not going to get mad about someone believing that Allen isn't the best of the three, but for Josh to not even earn an honorable mention is a bit strange.

For my money, I wouldn't trade Allen for either of them.  That's not a knock on Mahomes or Herbert, I just have a huge amount of faith in Josh and believe he has the traits to be an all-time great QB.  I also believe Josh's DNA fits Buffalo far better than either of the other two guys would.  

Allen does deserve to be in the discussion. However, I'd take Mahomes over Allen in a heartbeat. 

8 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

I'm not daft blind or dumb, just dopey. What I saw was raw athleticism. Greatness, you're reaching there.

19 hours ago, SCBills said:

They mentioned Josh Allen a few minutes later, and Schefter clarified that Josh Allen belongs there too, but they were discussing young QB's that came onto the scene firing on all cylinders - whereas Josh was developed into the guy he is now. 

And so did mahomes. Remember he sat behind Smith for a couple of years. 

16 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

I think we can all agree on that one! Herbert is pretty good... I think the media getting a bit carried away after a 25-38 for 220 performance but the kid is good.

I'm pretty sure if the media wants to get high about anyone it should be Josh Allen:!)

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/

16 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Pretty sure the media and everyone else that thinks highly of Herbert is basing that on his performance last season and this one, not just this past game. He's a tremendous QB.

9 hours ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

And so did mahomes. Remember he sat behind Smith for a couple of years. 

for 1 year

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.