Schefter; Herbert is "lock" for HOF, Mahomes / Herbert best young QBs in NFL

Inigo Montoya

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-west/los-angeles-chargers/nfl-world-reacts-to-adam-schefters-bold-justin-herbert-comment

Schefter made this pronouncement in the pregame commentary when the start of the game was delayed 30 minutes for a thunder storm.  (A $5 BILLION dome stadium and they can't play in it during a thunder storm?  What the h*ll?)

He also said during the same soliloquy that Mahomes and Herbert were the two best young QBs in the NFL and would be the choices of any NFL GM looking to start a franchise.

I'm not here to put down Mahomes or Herbert, I agree with Schefty that they are amazing young QBs.   I don't need to put them down to believe that Josh is fantastic too.  Was Schefty just throwing a hot take out there on the fly and just overlooked Allen, or does he really put Mahomes and Herbert in a different tier than Allen? 

I think Allen legitimately deserves to be in the conversation for best young NFL QB.  I would put Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, and Watson all in that group.  Watson obviously has some issues that could derail his career, and I could see some people leaving him out of that conversation right now because of it.  I'm not going to get mad about someone believing that Allen isn't the best of the three, but for Josh to not even earn an honorable mention is a bit strange.

For my money, I wouldn't trade Allen for either of them.  That's not a knock on Mahomes or Herbert, I just have a huge amount of faith in Josh and believe he has the traits to be an all-time great QB.  I also believe Josh's DNA fits Buffalo far better than either of the other two guys would.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

They mentioned Josh Allen a few minutes later, and Schefter clarified that Josh Allen belongs there too, but they were discussing young QB's that came onto the scene firing on all cylinders - whereas Josh was developed into the guy he is now. 

• Like (+1) 23
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

They mentioned Josh Allen a few minutes later, and Schefter clarified that Josh Allen belongs there too, but they were discussing young QB's that came onto the scene firing on all cylinders - whereas Josh was developed into the guy he is now. 

Someone needs to remind Shefter that Mahomes got to sit for an entire year. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I missed that part SCB.  Thanks for throwing that out there.   I can see that distinction.  I generally like Schefter and find him to be pretty locked into the NFL scene and dependable.  He usually is just a breaking news reporter and you don't hear his opinion on teams and players very often.

🍻

Edited by Inigo Montoya

these guys are paid for their ability to talk out of their arses nonstop.  he'll be saying the same thing about Allen when he's calling his game.

Also, it's not a domed stadium.  It's a covered, open-aired, stadium.  Lightning could still easily enter the field and remains dangerous, but the rest of the elements are kept out.  It's pretty easy to understand if you're not a moron like Gruden.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:
3 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Also, it's not a domed stadium.  It's a covered, open-aired, stadium.  Lightning could still easily enter the field and remains dangerous, but the rest of the elements are kept out.

Funny they left the fans in the stands then.   It is a beautiful stadium.  I'd love to see a Bills game there someday.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-west/los-angeles-chargers/nfl-world-reacts-to-adam-schefters-bold-justin-herbert-comment

Schefter made this pronouncement in the pregame commentary when the start of the game was delayed 30 minutes for a thunder storm.  (A $5 BILLION dome stadium and they can't play in it during a thunder storm?  What the h*ll?)

He also said during the same soliloquy that Mahomes and Herbert were the two best young QBs in the NFL and would be the choices of any NFL GM looking to start a franchise.

I'm not here to put down Mahomes or Herbert, I agree with Schefty that they are amazing young QBs.   I don't need to put them down to believe that Josh is fantastic too.  Was Schefty just throwing a hot take out there on the fly and just overlooked Allen, or does he really put Mahomes and Herbert in a different tier than Allen? 

I think Allen legitimately deserves to be in the conversation for best young NFL QB.  I would put Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, and Watson all in that group.  Watson obviously has some issues that could derail his career, and I could see some people leaving him out of that conversation right now because of it.  I'm not going to get mad about someone believing that Allen isn't the best of the three, but for Josh to not even earn an honorable mention is a bit strange.

For my money, I wouldn't trade Allen for either of them.  That's not a knock on Mahomes or Herbert, I just have a huge amount of faith in Josh and believe he has the traits to be an all-time great QB.  I also believe Josh's DNA fits Buffalo far better than either of the other two guys would.  

Does not matter,  you need to win or no one cares.  If Allen wins a Super Bowl he will get his props, Mahomes has won

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Agree 2

I love the modern age of journalism.

Guy has 2 great games: "this guy is not the best right now, or the best this season... he's BEST there has ever been"

Guy has a great game: "Let me tell you something, that was the most dominant performance I have seen in the last 20 and a half years"

Guy has one bad game: "I'm sorry to say this, but this guy could be finished. I honestly don't see a way back for him at this point"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Funny they left the fans in the stands then.   It is a beautiful stadium.  I'd love to see a Bills game there someday.  

Who cares about the fans?  The Spanos's already had their money!

Also, didn't mean the stadium comment as a dig on you Inigo.  I just wanted to make fun of Gruden.  :)

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

these guys are paid for their ability to talk out of their arses nonstop.  he'll be saying the same thing about Allen when he's calling his game.

Also, it's not a domed stadium.  It's a covered, open-aired, stadium.  Lightning could still easily enter the field and remains dangerous, but the rest of the elements are kept out.  It's pretty easy to understand if you're not a moron like Gruden.

I watched the documentary about the construction of SoFi Stadium on the Science channel and all I can say is, what a testament to engineering it is. Just an amazing piece of work. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, TheBrownBear said:

Who cares about the fans?  The Spanos's already had their money!

Also, didn't mean the stadium comment as a dig on you Inigo.  I just wanted to make fun of Gruden.  :)

Didn't take it that way at all.    👍

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.