Josh Allen good under pressure, bad when not pressured

Estro

Computer Cowboy on twitter posts pretty good visual charts that makes it a little easier to visualize NFL data, and one he did today was QBs PFF grades when pressured vs. not pressured.

Now I understand PFF is just one set of data pts, and there are many that take PFF with a grain of salt, which I get.......but this set of data kind of matches with what I'm seeing on Sundays.

FA4hKD6WYAs9AAy.thumb.jpeg.f3a947f316f73e090dd584245d160ffb.jpeg

I can believe the Josh score. The WFT game in particular he was doing a masterful job of sliding in the pocket to avoid rushes before making great throws. He seems to be at his best when he's moving his legs and not just standing still in the pocket. 

I can't believe the Brady score under pressure. In the 2 Buc games I've watched this year (vs cowboys and at Patriots) whenever he has even a sniff of pressure he bails on the play and dumps the ball into the dirt

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Estro said:

Computer Cowboy on twitter posts pretty good visual charts that makes it a little easier to visualize NFL data, and one he did today was QBs PFF grades when pressured vs. not pressured.

Now I understand PFF is just one set of data pts, and there are many that take PFF with a grain of salt, which I get.......but this set of data kind of matches with what I'm seeing on Sundays.

Are you suggesting we put Cody Ford back in there? 

:)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The way to beat Josh historically is to drop into coverage and take away the deep stuff, and contain him in the pocket. Easier said than done, but if you can do that it burns him up to just take the short easy stuff. Eventually he tries to push the ball down field. Sometimes it turns into amazing big plays, though.

So this makes some sense to me. Although he was pressured a lot week 1, and had to evade a lot of pressure week 2.

The formula to beat Allen, IMO, while not easy, is to not allow him to roll right when under pressure. Your need your DE on that side to defend the width of the field and not allow him to get outside of you.  You rush only 4 and preferably get a good push up the middle (I feel like Allen's footwork gets jacked up when he feels/sees the pressure coming right up the middle.  Behind that you play a lot of disguised  coverages and heavy zone.

KC, has some of that secret sauce because Chris Jones is so dominant in the middle creating pass rush and our G play is by far the biggest weakness of our team, IMO.

I'm hoping the Bills cooked something good up to play ball vs the Chiefs because facing them last year was a real kick to the gut, both times

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

He seems to be at his best when he's moving his legs and not just standing still in the pocket. 

image.thumb.png.53f56eb399e9a20ac26df9c62c910873.png

Can I move?

I'm better when I move...

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Estro said:

KC, has some of that secret sauce because Chris Jones is so dominant in the middle creating pass rush and our G play is by far the biggest weakness of our team, IMO.

Jones is playing DE now in their scheme and not as dominant.   Wonder if he will go up against Spencer Brown and Darryl Williams side of new O Line

2 hours ago, Estro said:

Teams know Josh likes to push the ball downfield. Arm arrogance. They’re flooding the zones and daring Josh to take the checkdown. Once Josh learns patience and take the checkdown, he’s really gonna take over the league. Maybe Daboll will start putting Lil Dirty or Beasley in the backfield 

3 hours ago, Estro said:

Pretty visuals can be engaging, but can sometimes hide important points.

When I read this, I am asking myself "how are they defining pressured, how are they defining "kept clean, and how many plays fall into each bin for each QB?"

It kind of matters.  Also wondering what the data set is (eg this season, last season, last 2 seasons etc.)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I can believe the Josh score. The WFT game in particular he was doing a masterful job of sliding in the pocket to avoid rushes before making great throws. He seems to be at his best when he's moving his legs and not just standing still in the pocket. 

I can't believe the Brady score under pressure. In the 2 Buc games I've watched this year (vs cowboys and at Patriots) whenever he has even a sniff of pressure he bails on the play and dumps the ball into the dirt

I think Josh getting into rhythm isn’t necessarily competing passes. It’s guys making plays. He does a better job when guys are rolling. He doesn’t get hit by hitting a million curl routes with 2 YAC. He’ll get hot if Diggs takes a 5 yard pass for an extra 15. Or Singletary rips off 10 yards.

2 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

I would say that, Josh has to play better than year to date to beat the chefs, is a true statement. He has to lift his game closer to last season's play....

...outside of the poor overall team effort in the Pittsburgh opening game, Allen has already won one offensive MVP. The other two games our offense put up 35 and 40 while we pitched shutouts.

I would say he has elevated his game plenty.

The rest of the offense has to show up, particularly the nastier more physical OL we started to see glimpses of against the Texans. 

We need them to pass protect better and open some holes for our runners.

6 minutes ago, WideNine said:

...outside of the poor overall team effort in the Pittsburgh opening game, Allen has already won one offensive MVP. The other two games our offense put up 35 and 40 while we pitched shutouts.

I would say he has elevated his game plenty.

The rest of the offense has to show up, particularly the nastier more physical OL we started to see glimpses of against the Texans. 

We need them to pass protect better and open some holes for our runners.

cue spencer brown and ike.