A Few Thoughts about the Texans game, in no particular order

Virgil

13 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Allen needs to stop the hard count.  It's gotten old and not fooling the other team anymore, (only Beasley)  Save it for when really needed in crucial situation.

He's not always doing it to draw the D off-sides. Sometimes it's part of reading the defense - he does it to look for a "tell" in the D's movements. 

7 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Overall pretty good list but your omission of Spencer Brown is notable.  Potentially a huge story line going forward.

I am VERY excited about what Spencer Brown could become, and what Dawson Know has become.  

I think the rebuild of our OLine has started with Brown. More to come.

Also, When Knox was having his issues with the dropsies, I endured it thinking it was more concentration than bad hands because he could make the difficult catches. I’ve always loved his ceiling and now he’s showing us what he’s capable of becoming. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I am VERY excited about what Spencer Brown could become, and what Dawson Know has become.  

I think the rebuild of our OLine has started with Brown. More to come. Also, When Knox was having his issues with the dropsies, I endured it thinking it was more concentration than bad hands because he could make the difficult catches. I’ve always loved his ceiling and now he’s showing us what he’s capable of becoming. 

I think the rebuild of our OLine has started with Brown. More to come. Also, When Knox was having his issues with the dropsies, I endured it thinking it was more concentration than bad hands because he could make the difficult catches. I’ve always loved his ceiling and now he’s showing us what he’s capable of becoming. 

I think the rebuild of our OLine has started with Brown. More to come. Also, when Knox was having his issues with the dropsies, I endured it thinking it was more concentration than bad hands because he could make the difficult catches. I’ve always loved his ceiling and now he’s showing us what he’s capable of becoming. 

You can say that again

1 minute ago, freddyjj said:

@Augie

You can say that again.  

Monday Happy Hour?

😂😂dammit I’m late

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think the rebuild of our OLine has started with Brown. More to come. Also, when Knox was having his issues with the dropsies, I endured it thinking it was more concentration than bad hands because he could make the difficult catches. I’ve always loved his ceiling and now he’s showing us what he’s capable of becoming. 

what are you trying to say?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

@Augie

You can say that again.  

Monday Happy Hour?

One of those times where you hit submit and it doesn’t appear to go, again and again. 

And again.

And again.   :) 🤷‍♀️

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You can say that again

😂😂dammit I’m late

Don’t feel bad. This is how you know I REALLY mean it! 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills really just took care of business against the Texans. The only minor complaint is that the Bills offense did have some redzone struggles but they completely closed the door in the second half and consistently moved the ball all game. The defense put on one of the best performances you will see and the special teams was solid. Even the backups played well when they got plenty of garbage time. They pile up to 3-1 going into a tough two game stretch. Hopefully they can get past KC and really establish that they can beat a quality team and not just beat up on the mid level or lower teams. 

Nice write up.

Ok, I guess I'll  add my thoughts too.

On a dreary, rainy, early fall day with the Texans in Buffalo to play the Bills the scene was set.

The oddsmakers had the Texans +17.5 points, and truly were not giving them any chance. If I were still betting on football, I probably would of taken the Texans and the points, even though I have a long standing rule to never bet against the Bills.

Considering that the weather was so bad, I didn't think the Bills would be able to score a ton of points (I was wrong).

I had watched the Thursday night game against the Panthers(who I consider to be a decent team this year), and Houston seemed to hold there own in the 1st half, with the the score being 7 - 6 at  halftime. Houston's D line played well, they  had a strip sack on Darnold, and the whole team played them tough overall. On offense the rookie QB Mills looked decent enough, and found Cooks numerous times for over 100 yds on the game.

Well the Oddsmakers were right.

Despite the weather having its way pouring sheets of rain down, and affecting both teams at the beginning, the Bills D just dominated, and by halftime it was pretty much all over for the Texans. (Even though Buffalo was only up 16 - 0)

When I say the defense dominated, it is kind of an understatement, but I have run out of superlatives to describe what I am seeing this year from them.

Despite being down 2 starters in the secondary, and losing Milano to a hammy midway , they never missed a beat. Edmonds (who I don't think has played badly this year, just not spectacularly) had that spectacular game . His excellent coverage in the middle led to his interception, while Milano put the pressure on the rookie QB to rush the throw.

When Milano went out of the game,  the next man up (Klein) filled in admiralbly with a tip, (which led to Hyde's interception), and a fumble recovery, when Edmonds (again) tied up the receiver, and Cam Lewis punched the ball out.  BTW, Cam Lewis played very well after being elevated from the PS for the game, when T. Johnson was ruled out. (Might be tough to sneak him back on the PS, in case a CB needy team covets him) Props to J Johnson (the other Bill's Johnson), who also played well, and added an interception later .

Even Matakevich got in on the fun in garbage time with a pick of his own.

Star and Boogie had sacks, and the pressure was decent all day, pushing Mills to make bad decisions.

As toJosh,

after starting out the game with an interception on a throw that sailed over Digg's head (in the pouring rain), and was picked off by #1 of the Texans, Allen settled down and had a decent, albeit mediocre game. He made some great throws and missed some too. I'll accept these type games from him as long as we won, because that is all that truly will be remembered in the end, is the W.

I thought both Moss and Singletary were  good in the running game. They both quickly and decisively hit the holes today. Moss is shifty, and never gives up. Props to 79 Spencer Brown ,the man mountain, for throwing him forward for extra yards at the end of the one run. Singletary had more yds total, but also found the doghouse for a bit with the fumble, he redeemed himself later in the game with timely runs (he had a great run called back because of a hold on Williams). Allen gets props for his rushes too, especially the sneak he turned up outside for the big gain. I loved the stiff arm as he was going out of bounds, he tackled the tackler Lol.

All told, I believe they finished with around 200 yards rushing total as a team.

The reshuffled oline had their struggles, mostly on the left side, with heavy pressure coming from that side early in the game. Dawkins whiffed a couple times on his man. although Williams didn't look great either at right guard(see penalty on Singletarys rush above),and he  was shaky in pass pro again early in the game. They seamed to settle in as the game went on though. Brown looked ok at right tackle. The question is what becomes of Cody Ford, will he be back at right guard?, or did Williams do enough to unseat him. All told they had Allen running around way too much, it's amazing he made such a good throw to Diggs down the sideline earlier in the game, while scrambling and leaping in the air.

Diggs had his breakout game of the young season, with Allen connecting with him numerous times for over 100 yds, and on a couple of beautiful long throws to boot. Sanders had good day as well and had a few nice receptions. Although Beasley (2 receptions on 2 targets) and Davis (0 for 1) were relatively quiet, Dawson Knox had 5 receptions on 8 targets and 2 TDs, and had some monster blocks in the game.( Err....aren't you glad we didn't trade for "you know who" now. I know I am)

Knox even got # 1(another Johnson) on the Texans to lose his composure and draw a penalty for unsportsman like conduct. Knox had tackled him on the sidelines on the play after #1 thought he had picked up a fumble on a supposed Diggs catch (however it was ruled an incompletion as the ball had hit the ground,so no fumble) . # 1 was pissed at Knox because he shoved him hard out of bounds on the tackle. # 1  then tried to get western with knox, and pushed him down when the play was over, (nice flop by knox),and the Zebra threw the flag.

However as karma will have it , that started a series of bad plays by the Bills though. The very next play Diggs did fumble on a sweep, and the Bills recovered. The play after that Allen nearly had a pass intercepted, and instead of getting in the end zone the Bills had to settle for the field goal. Props to Bass on FGs and the extra points, he made them all.

BTW, # 1 seemed like the best, and most active player on the Texans D, too bad he lost his mind on that play, because I believe he is a good player and played well for them otherwise.

Anyway,

by the end of the 3rd quarter,the Bills had the game sewed up, the score was 19 - 0, and the Texans were done. The Bills scored 2 more TDs in the 4th and then sent in the 2nd string with 10 minutes or so left to score 1 more, and the Texans at that point were probably feeling pretty much like the folks in the lyrics of the old Carpenters song:

Rainy Days and Mondays

"Talkin' to myself and feelin' old

Sometimes I'd like to quit

Nothing ever seems to fit

Hangin' around

Nothing's to do but frown

Rainy Days and Mondays

(after a devastating loss)

always get me down

On to Kansas City, go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Does anyone know of the Texans #1 (mentioned in the previous post), who is named Lonnie Johnson Jr., is the son of former Bills TE Lonnie Johnson?  I did some searches online and couldn't find anything.  Just curious.  You'd think that the TV crew would have brought it up, but I'm not sure that Beth Mowins or Tiki Barber have ever heard of the Lonnie Johnson that played for the Bills.

Thanks for the write up as usual.  I am not sure where to put this but I find it interesting that when covering TB vs NE last night the rain was a significant factor (as to why he didn't perform better) while JA and crew put up 40 in similar conditions and nothing is mentioned.  Maybe it is just my homerism/inferiority complex. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

- Why would different cement and rebar effect where Labatt Blue is sold and the stadium having more than just delivered pizza? This is relatively new and firmly falls on the Pegula's and/or Delaware North.

This may or may not be true.  I will guess that the available kitchen space at Highmark is significantly more limited than it is in more modern stadiums.  My impression of the Bills' operation is that a majority of the food is heat-and-eat (pizza logs, hot dogs, pretzels, etc), pre-packaged, or is prepared offsite (such as the pizza).  Very little cooking, if any, actually happens at the stadium.

Contrast that experience to nearly every other stadium in the NFL, where you can get quality, fresh food prepared on site at equally outrageous prices.  If I'm going to spend that kind of money on ballpark food, I at least want something besides a hot dog or a slice of pizza made hours ago that has been sitting in an insulated container.

10 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Does anyone know of the Texans #1 (mentioned in the previous post), who is named Lonnie Johnson Jr., is the son of former Bills TE Lonnie Johnson?  I did some searches online and couldn't find anything.  Just curious.  You'd think that the TV crew would have brought it up, but I'm not sure that Beth Mowins or Tiki Barber have ever heard of the Lonnie Johnson that played for the Bills.

I don't think so, it looks like his dad was the inventor of the Super soaker (big squirt gun) though, which ironically, I find to be more amusing than being the tight ends kid. 😆

7 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

This may or may not be true.  I will guess that the available kitchen space at Highmark is significantly more limited than it is in more modern stadiums.  My impression of the Bills' operation is that a majority of the food is heat-and-eat (pizza logs, hot dogs, pretzels, etc), pre-packaged, or is prepared offsite (such as the pizza).  Very little cooking, if any, actually happens at the stadium.

Contrast that experience to nearly every other stadium in the NFL, where you can get quality, fresh food prepared on site at equally outrageous prices.  If I'm going to spend that kind of money on ballpark food, I at least want something besides a hot dog or a slice of pizza made hours ago that has been sitting in an insulated container.

I would agree with this if they didn’t have a better selection before.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, sullim4 said:

Right, I get it, to a certain extent. But I have also gotten a beef on weck, italian sausage, cheeseburgers, etc. at The Ralph. Could a new stadium provide more room for meal prep? Sure, possibly. 

But lets not act like we have never gotten better selection at the Ralph before. Or that the best fix is to build a $1.5B stadium.

Not that you or Virgil is saying that specifically, but you have both eluded or stated that a new stadium would alleviate this issue, and neither mentioned much of another option or ask to resolve it. Which is exactly why it gives me pause. This is a relatively new or worse problem that wasn't happening like this in years past. As a long time food service worker, and somebody who relies on a lot of logistics everyday at work, I totally get it. It is especially tough out there at the moment for drivers and low wage workers. But I refuse to believe that La Nova's can pump out pizza for 70k fans, but the Bills cannot find a way to get any more food options in the building. La Nova's are the only ones who can prep food for the stadium in 2021? 

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I would agree with this if they didn’t have a better selection before.  

Sorta of mentioned you in the above unintentionally. I think we are on similar pages here. 

Thanks for your work here!