The Bills are 3 - 0 with Star plaiyng any thoughts

Jim Steele

2 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Hey I'm a proponent for Star, but to be fair his first sack was credited to him for being closest to the QB when he ran out of bounds for a loss, and the second was Houston...

Lots of sacks are about luck, being in the right place, etc.

I'm just glad to see more energy, power and presence from him this year. It's a great sign for the d so far.

Edited by Turk71

On 10/4/2021 at 12:48 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Star is, and always has been very good.

But, let’s also not forget Brisket, Heineken, and Nills were the 3 QBs we faced.  Yes all intentional misspellings.  We cooked one, drove one to drink, and got nothing from the other.  

But again, Star matters a lot to this defense, always has.  We are a much better defense when he is on the field.  

I mean... Star was facing the O line too.  Not just the QB.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, r00tabaga said:

I get that but Ed is underperforming for a first round pick. He literally only has one QB pressure all year.

Oliver has weirdly become a really good run defender, but just an okay pass defender. That is not the player we thought we drafted. Our defense has quietly become an elite run stopping unit after being repeatedly gashed last year. Star is a big reason why, but Oliver holding the middle and Rousseau setting the edge have also contributed. Pass rush has been just okay this year IMO but the back 7 has had elite coverage. Star has arguably been our best pass rusher - a 31 year old 1-tech after taking a year off. Just as everyone predicted.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Oliver has weirdly become a really good run defender, but just an okay pass defender. That is not the player we thought we drafted. Our defense has quietly become an elite run stopping unit after being repeatedly gashed last year. Star is a big reason why, but Oliver holding the middle and Rousseau setting the edge have also contributed. Pass rush has been just okay this year IMO but the back 7 has had elite coverage. Star has arguably been our best pass rusher - a 31 year old 1-tech after taking a year off. Just as everyone predicted.

Lotulelei hasn’t been seeing as many double teams this year for whatever reason….he’s always been able to overpower 1v1.

On 10/5/2021 at 12:55 AM, Jim Steele said:

The Bills are 3 - 0 with Star plaiyng any thoughts

His absence wasn't the reason we lost to Pittsburgh, but he's been really good.

He's always been an excellent space eater / block absorber and hole clogger. Always. And that continues. He was also always weirdly good at running laterally when he got off blocks and chased guys outwards. He continues to do these both very well.

But he's gotten a lot better at rushing the passer. It's great to see.

He was greatly missed in 2020. The 2019 and 2021 defenses were absolutely excellent, and his presence is a real part of that.

His presence makes the players around him significantly better.

On 10/5/2021 at 6:27 AM, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Our defense was a sieve last season outside of one nice performance against Baltimore and Josh allen carried the whole team lol 

No, it really wasn't. The last half of the year they were very solid. Not as good as they are this year with Star, though.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/5/2021 at 7:36 AM, BarleyNY said:

His contract is set up where the Bills will likely keep him next season too.  He has $6.75M in new money, but $2.5M of that is guaranteed.  It’s not an absolute given but it’s very probable that for a difference of $4.25M they’ll keep him here in 2022. 

Yup.

I've been saying for the last two years that he was a great deal more likely to be here in 2022 than a lot of people here thought.

11 hours ago, r00tabaga said:

Oliver and his 1 pressure? Four games in and he's not benefiting from Star like we hoped. I would say everyone on our DLine improved except him.

I disagree. Out of all the players on our suddenly very effective DL, it's Oliver who's getting doubled constantly. Teams know how good he is.

IMO we'll start to see teams trying to double Star more on pass plays and that will allow Oliver more chances.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

You should feel embarrassed for this.

Now my memory isn’t the best, but my sense is that LeGOAT is no dummy on here and has made some pretty good points at times.  So I would agree with this and the general sentiment of this statement.

Just sayin’

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts

59 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup.

I've been saying for the last two years that he was a great deal more likely to be here in 2022 than a lot of people here thought.

I disagree. Out of all the players on our suddenly very effective DL, it's Oliver who's getting doubled constantly. Teams know how good he is.

IMO we'll start to see teams trying to double Star more on pass plays and that will allow Oliver more chances.

This is a poster who has actually been watching the games vs barely watching and just regurgitating the opinions of others like so freaking many do on here.  
Ed O is getting doubled so much and just watch how much those two offensive linemen have to work to slow him down. The guy is so strong and tenacious.  He definitely does his part to make things work.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, r00tabaga said:

I get that but Ed is underperforming for a first round pick. He literally only has one QB pressure all year.

Kinda get the feeling you and 1manraid are just looking at statsheets to determine someone's effectiveness. But, hey we're Bills fans, so we have to complain about someone/something. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Kinda get the feeling you and 1manraid are just looking at statsheets to determine someone's effectiveness. But, hey we're Bills fans, so we have to complain about someone/something. 

I never notice him in gms. Like he blew up one running play this year and that's it for me. It's when Joe Marino mentioned his QB pressures that I really started to worry. Maybe he's getting double teamed like someone mentioned but we're never going to get an Aaron Donald Jr like we wanted.

I love all the bills I'm just calling him out.

Him taking last year off was the best thing for him and this team.  He's super well rested and rejuvenated.  All that time to let his body heal and reset has done wonders and that is quite evident in his play.  Lovin' it!

And, full disclosure, I was previously guilty of not really watching his play and judging him on what others were saying and what I saw on like two plays a game.  So I'm not exactly a Star homer.   His story is a great lesson for me to shut up and actually watch the tape before I try to form an original opinion.

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

His absence wasn't the reason we lost to Pittsburgh, but he's been really good.

He's always been an excellent space eater / block absorber and hole clogger. Always. And that continues. He was also always weirdly good at running laterally when he got off blocks and chased guys outwards. He continues to do these both very well.

But he's gotten a lot better at rushing the passer. It's great to see.

He was greatly missed in 2020. The 2019 and 2021 defenses were absolutely excellent, and his presence is a real part of that.

His presence makes the players around him significantly better.

No, it really wasn't. The last half of the year they were very solid. Not as good as they are this year with Star, though.

against average teams maybe....the colts and chiefs did absolutely whatever they wanted to us in the playoffs...if Josh didnt carry us we wouldve gotten bounced in the first round.  gotta tip my cap to the gameplan against lamar though our defense gave him fits both times.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.