Bills in elite company

Only 3rd team  to shutout 2 teams in the first 4 games.  The other two were the 1991 Redskins (sigh) and the 2000 Ravens.  Both those teams went on to win the Super Bowl. here is hoping history repeats.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/04/bills-in-super-bowl-winning-company-with-two-shutouts-in-first-four-games/

In any event .. truly impressive.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Breaksdown of the most shutouts by a NFL team in a season. We have a ways to catch the 1976 Steelers @ 5, but already in the top 20 with 2 this early on.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/what-nfl-team-has-the-most-shutouts-in-a-season-since-1966#:~:text=Since 1966%2C the Pittsburgh Steelers,with 5 shutouts in 1976.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Breaksdown of the most shutouts by a NFL team in a season. We have a ways to catch the 1976 Steelers @ 5, but already in the top 20 with 2 this early on.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/what-nfl-team-has-the-most-shutouts-in-a-season-since-1966#:~:text=Since 1966%2C the Pittsburgh Steelers,with 5 shutouts in 1976.

We play the Jets twice, the Jaguars, the Falcons, Miami again and the Pats twice. I’ll put the over-under for shutouts this year at 4.

I’ll take the over. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Let's actually see if we can slow down the chiefs before we start thinking we have an elite defense. this is not to say they haven't played great, but we haven't really played a great offensive team yet.  so far so good though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is me at the bathroom at the bar during a commercial break....hurrying this up as fast as I can because I don't want to miss a snap because this team is so much fun to watch.

giphy.gif

Condom catheter. Available on Amazon. 

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I actually though the odder stat was the one they showed with streak of games being up by double digits at halftime. Very unusual. Hard to believe the Patriots weren’t listed at least six or seven times. 

There were a lot of great offenses missing from that list

Just now, Sharky7337 said:

How many of those teams did it versus backup quarterbacks vs starters.

I think it's a little flawed considering we didn't play the real starters full game.

This is my only reservation as well, the only 'real' QB we've face this year is a completely washed up Big Ben that was still good enough to beat this defense when he needed to and win their only game of the season. And as good as our defense looks on paper now we couldn't really pressure him either that game.

So yeah beating the likes of Tua/Brissett, Mills and Heineke (who we also couldn't pressure pretty much the whole game) means very little until you do it against Mahomes and some of the other NFL caliber QB's left on the schedule.

If anything this is the game where the pass rush truly needs to shine and get sacks, fumbles, etc and make Mahomes look like he did in the SB and win the by comfortable margin to truly make a statement.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Seriously though, this is the type of defense we were missing last year. This team is scary when the offense is doing what they do and the defense is clicking like this. :thumbsup:

Our defense has also played against 3 backup QBs....So we have to wait until they play a good one like the Chiefs

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, gordong said:

Let's actually see if we can slow down the chiefs before we start thinking we have an elite defense. this is not to say they haven't played great, but we haven't really played a great offensive team yet.  so far so good though.

this is the test for me.  if we can get some stuff done on O vs KC (imo more mental than physical for our team) and make them uncomfortable when they have the ball, then im firm in my chip call to start the year.

4 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Only 3rd team  to shutout 2 teams in the first 4 games.  The other two were the 1991 Redskins (sigh) and the 2000 Ravens.  Both those teams went on to win the Super Bowl. here is hoping history repeats.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/04/bills-in-super-bowl-winning-company-with-two-shutouts-in-first-four-games/

In any event .. truly impressive.

Interestingly, the 1991 WFT and the 2000 Ravens both shut out 3 opponents in the first 5 games, not just 2 in the first 4.

WFT defeated Detroit (45-0), Phoenix (34-0), and Philly (23-0). Detroit finished 12-4 that year and Philly finished 10-6, so pretty good teams. Phoenix finished 4-12.

The Ravens defeated Pittsburgh (16-0), Cincinnati (37-0), and Cleveland (12-0). Pittsburgh was the only one who finished with a winning record at 9-7. Both Cincinnati (4-12) and Cleveland (3-13) were in the basement. FWIW, Baltimore didn't even finish 1st in their division that year; they were the #4 seed at 12-4.

So far this year the defense has outplayed the offense, which would have been unthinkable the last couple of years when the offense exploded and the defense couldn't do as much.  

I'm waiting to see the Bills put the A+ games out there on both offense and defense in a game against a quality opponent.  Next Sunday night would be a great time for that.