Our long Cody Ford National Nightmare is over.

FireChans

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yet McD felt the need to tell everyone he’s a good football player after the game…

Yeah, I'm sure he was going to say he sucked and got benched because he sucks at football. That's exactly what a coach would tell the media.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

The complaining around here is ridiculous.

Oh, what?  You really think DK Metcalf could have helped this team instead?!

...wait.

:cry:

Would the team be better?  If DK was drafted, there would be no trade for Diggs.  Yes we'd have had another 1st rounder, who knows who we had picked, just as even if didn't pick Ford, who knows who we had picked instead.

Unfortunately some guys don't have it or pan out in this league and this looks like one of the bigger misses by Beane especially since we traded up to take him high in the 2nd round.

Best case scenario is trading in season to a desperate team and getting something like 5th or 6th round back in return, either way he won't be on this team next year.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Would the team be better?  If DK was drafted, there would be no trade for Diggs.  Yes we'd have had another 1st rounder, who knows who we had picked, just as even if didn't pick Ford, who knows who we had picked instead.

I disagree with logic like that, but please don't interpret that as me saying you are wrong.

I just think when you have your eye on someone and you appreciate what they immediately bring to the team to make them better you don't sit there and say, "well, the second rounder WR should be enough" because you end up with a team saying that Zay Jones can handle this.

EDIT: and DK is more of a replacement or place holder for a John Brown type.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Just looking at his pre-draft tape I was pretty sure he did not have the foot speed and agility to play tackle. But given his nasty and size I thought he might develop into a good guard and therefore not a bust. Turns out, perhaps not surprisingly, that some of the same things that compromise his ability in pass pro from the tackle position also affect his effectiveness in pass pro from the guard position. Back to the drawing board. I hope that they can still retool him as a guard.

Watching him in college I felt very strongly that he'd never be a tackle.  However, I thought for sure he'd be a very good guard.  Doesnt look like the same guy.  

I haven't gone back to re-watch the game yet, but I do recall seeing several plays with Brown at RT, and #75 Williams at RG. They were in this formation in the first quarter near the goal line when we settled for a field goal. There was actually an hilarious play where Moss ran to about the six, was stopped dead, and Brown came up on him and heaved him forward for another two yards. 

I remember it also as being a 12 personnel set, with Knox lined up next to Brown, and Sweeney shifting to the left, pre-snap. It's exciting to see Daboll using this sort of power formation in a situation like this. Although, it would have been more impressive if we had made it into the end zone. And, for what it's worth, I don't think Williams looked very good at guard. I saw Boettger out there as well, and I thought he looked pretty good.

But, of course, this was versus the Texans. In the rain. Hard to give anything an accurate assessment.

Edited by Rocky Landing

It is fair to say that Ford will likely be a bust. I was very hopeful for Ford entering in this season. I though in 2019 he was bad early but played solid to end the season at RT. Due to how good D.Williams was last season I thought it was logical to kick him inside and hopefully improve the guard play. Ford was OK at guard in 2020 but then he got hurt. Then in 2021 he has just looked abysmal at guard. He had the whole off-season to play at guard and get used to the role and he somehow looked worse at guard this season. Just disappointing to see as he could have really solidified the line. Luckily Spencer Brown looks like a beast and they can kick D.Williams inside to help the guard play.

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Unfortunately some guys don't have it or pan out in this league and this looks like one of the bigger misses by Beane especially since we traded up to take him high in the 2nd round.

Best case scenario is trading in season to a desperate team and getting something like 5th or 6th round back in return, either way he won't be on this team next year.

I can see them trading him for a late round pick or just brining him back as a backup for 2022. McBeane values depth along the lines and they drafted him in a premium spot and have at times gotten decent play out of him (his ending to his 2019 season and his 2020 stint at guard in my opinion were pretty decent) it would not shock me it they have him be a guard/tackle combo as a backup in 2022 if a trade doesn't materialize. 

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

...wait.

Seahawks 1st in that draft is LJ collier who has been basically a bust.  1st and 2nd a year later look like busts for them as well.  

You won't hit on them all, beane probably has a better track record than most GMs over the last couple of years.  

Ford to me should be a swing tackle/guard for his final year and a half in buffalo.  He'll get a chance to turn it around and compete to start, however he to me shouldn't be relied upon as anything beyond depth.  After that he's expendable as his pay would go up more than he's justifiably worth to a contender, and could be replaced by a new pick in the next 2 years.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, dneveu said:

Seahawks 1st in that draft is LJ collier who has been basically a bust.  1st and 2nd a year later look like busts for them as well.  

You won't hit on them all, beane probably has a better track record than most GMs over the last couple of years.  

Ford to me should be a swing tackle/guard for his final year and a half in buffalo.  He'll get a chance to turn it around and compete to start, however he to me shouldn't be relied upon as anything beyond depth.  After that he's expendable as his pay would go up more than he's justifiably worth to a contender, and could be replaced by a new pick in the next 2 years.

Any regime will have busts. Oliver, Knox and Singletary coming out of that class is pretty solid. Typically you want to keep getting at least 2-3 starters each draft. Ideally 4 plus a role player or two but if you keep finding multiple starters you will sustain success. I think they either trade Ford for a late round pick in camp or simply keep him as a backup in 2022. It's not what you want from a high second round pick but the regime will survive it.

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

...wait.

I mean I like where the team is at now, I'm not going to play with "what if", who knows what the team would be like given that decision.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Lake Ontario said:

There's no other way to spin this.  If Ford doesn't turn into a reliable starter for many seasons, passing on DK is a huge miss.  It isn't like DK was under the radar.  He had a lot of attention in that draft and was exactly what a lot of Bills fans were hoping for.

Like someone else said, if we draft DK instead of Ford, we don't trade for Diggs in all likelihood.

Only a moron would rather have DK than Diggs 

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I said after his rookie season that he looked like a bust and he in fact is a bust 2nd rounder.  Not a great sign when you are having to rotate players at one position which started in his rookie year.  Not surprised to see him gone after the season because you only get so many opportunities and Bills have given that. The Bills made up for that terrible pick by taking Brown in the 3rd round and he looks like a keeper

I bet the Bears could use his services 

13 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Like someone else said, if we draft DK instead of Ford, we don't trade for Diggs in all likelihood.

Only a moron would rather have DK than Diggs 

We probably still trade for Diggs. One year with 2019 Josh Allen with John Brown and Beasley getting most of the targets doesn’t relieve this team of a need for a #1 receiver. 

Beane probably still makes the opportunistic move for Diggs. It’s possible we don’t draft Davis, but it’s more likely we simply don’t sign sanders. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

We probably still trade for Diggs. One year with 2019 Josh Allen with John Brown and Beasley getting most of the targets doesn’t relieve this team of a need for a #1 receiver. 

Beane probably still makes the opportunistic move for Diggs. It’s possible we don’t draft Davis, but it’s more likely we simply don’t sign sanders. 

Really D.K. plays like he has that makes people think about this "what if" and you think we trade our 1st for a sure WR instead of taking a shot at one of the younger ones in the draft?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.