What was up with Beasley today?

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He made the comment after the trade here that the best thing he did was to hand his social media over to his PR team and step away from it.

Said the same thing during and after his first 2 seasons here in various interviews.

Now evidently he thinks it doesn't matter? or is no longer the best thing?

I didn't know his SM history in Dallas, but it's clearly a distraction to the team at this point.  I count 30 stories linked in the newsfeed here for today, and fully 1 in 5 (20%) are about Beasley. 

I think he’s just so dug in on the topic itself that he can’t help himself from posting about it. I’ve seen this from regular people I know who are not normally out there lighting fires on social media about other things, they are obsessed with posting regarding “their side” of the vaccine debate.  

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Have we gotten any indication that McDermott has said anything to him about any of this? Just curious, and the thread moves too fast to follow.

They did ask McDermott about it yesterday. He didn’t provide that info. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve had a day to think this over. I’ve said enough in this thread so my feelings about it are well documented. 

I’ll just say one more thing on the topic and move on.  I’m actually a little more upset about it than I was initially. Which was pretty damn upset. 

But I along with 10’s of thousands of others were out there in the rain, spending our money and our Sunday cheering that guy on. I know some folks think there were some boos, I heard zero. 

And after a good win, when we should be feeling good about our team and the experience, getting ready for next weeks huge game. We get blasted by the very same player we cheered. It’s not okay. He should have apologized after his initial post, he should’ve realized if a few jerks said something, it doesn’t represent the fanbase. But instead he doubles down like a dug in child and doesn’t let it rest. In fact, he adds more fuel to the fire. 

Heck, I even had a few encounters with jerks during the game, didn’t let it ruin my day, why? Because I’m an adult. People say and do stupid things, doesn’t mean I should go mount my soapbox and blame humanity as a whole. I gotta say, I really liked Beasley, can’t say the same today. He ruined a piece of my enjoyment this week. Can’t say I’ve ever experienced anything like that in my 30 plus years of fandom. Pretty bummed. I think that guy owes us an apology. I know that sounds a tad dramatic, but he really does. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can "get" the notion that the fans who are paying money to sit in the seats and support the team in person, pay for the right to express themselves as they choose.

Otherwise I think your analogy breaks down on several fronts.  For example, the Bills revenue, like other NFL teams, depends upon local and national revenue streams.  The Packers, which are the only team where the finances are public, earns roughly 60% (and rising rapidly) of their revenue from national streams (TV deals, NFL video, NFL licensing deals) and 40% from local revenue including tickets, concessions, and local merchandising.

Obviously under this model, TV viewers and consumers of NFL merchandise and video products are also tangibly supporting the team.

To use your analogy, they are more like the registered voter who mails in their ballot.

Fans at the game can express their opinion by booing, and fans not at the game can express their opinions that "Beer Bong Heroes" who choose to boo and heckle players for their expressed beliefs outside of football are "weak sticks".  If you're paying all that money to go to a game, why would you make that choice to heckle and be nasty instead of basking in the positive, while there is positive to be basked in?

I get the point that you're there in person with the right to express your opinion pro or con, but those at home also get their opinion.

When you watch the Bills on your tv you are supporting the NFL as a whole........every team gets an equal cut of the few pennies your eyeballs bring in.

I know it's an unpopular fact on a board that is heavily constructed of ex-pats............but make no mistake that attendance is mandatory to keep a team.

See the Bills 2019 profit at $80M versus their 2020 figure of -$18M............at this stage in their business model,  attendance is the difference between a profit and a loss for the Buffalo Bills.

But I am all for charging all of you peeping Tom's a personal seat license for your couch to help fund the new stadium so that the Bills remain in existence. 😉

And yes, you are correct everyone is born with an opinion function.

• Eyeroll 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, transient said:

Maybe he’s butt-hurt that Emmanuel Sanders is taking his catches from him and this is how he’s choosing to project his frustration. Whatever, Cole. C’est la vie. 

Yeah, I was never a Rams fan but I lived in St Louis during the "Greatest Show on Turf" days.  In 1999, Rams won the SB.  In 2001, went to the SB again.  Beasley's antics kind of remind me of this (it's not a direct analogy, Work with Me here).

2001, Kurt Warner was a pro-bowl, 1st team all-pro, #1 passing offense, #1 offense on points.  Warner threw 22 Ints that year, but with 37 TDs it didn't seem to matter.  2002, First 3 games, Warner throws 1 TD to 7 INTs and fumbles twice, then gets injured in the 4th game.  Comes back for to start game 11, throws 2 TD to 3 INT and 6 fumbles in 2 games before going out again and finally onto IR.  Rams were 0 and 6 in those games.

Meanwhile his wife Brenda is all over the social media of the day, meaning radio and newspaper, saying that the Rams have benched Warner because he's an avowed Christian who professes his Christian faith.  Seriously.  In St Louis!  We may not be the Buckle of the Bible Belt here, but we're at least the creased part of the Belt that crosses the sweaty small of the guy's back.  You don't Dis on Christian religion and survive very long as a public figure in these parts, you just don't.

But according to Brenda Warner, yanking Kurt had nothing to do with the fact that Warner was a walking ball dispenser to the opposition while Marc Bulgar threw 14 TD to 6 picks in 7 games where the Rams went 6-1.

Next season, game 1: Warner throws 34 completions for 342 yds, but also 1 TD, 1 pick, and fumbles six (6) times (3 lost).  Rams bench his ass for Bulgar, and go 12-3.  Again, Brenda Warner is all over radio and newspaper stirring the ***** that Warner was benched because the Rams don't like his professed Christian faith!!!!  No ma'am, that's NOT the reason.

I don't doubt for a minute that Beasley is being booed or heckled by some fans, though I think the overwhelming majority are calling out "BEAS!" as they did in 2019.  In any population of 70,000, there are always going to be a couple percent who are jerkwads.

But just like Warner being benched and his wife claiming it's because he's Christian (not because of turnovers), Beasley is claiming the crap he's getting is about his personal choice to not be vaccinated, and it's NOT.  That's deflection!  It's about his decision to make it his public "cause celebre'. " As Marc Cuban said, "the examples you give as the basis for why you make your choice are questionable".  Beasley says "The fact that I need to explain any reason for my own choice is the problem." but he doesn't need to explain himself!!!!!  It was his choice to do so!  

The other players didn't explain.  No one else on the team who may not have chosen to be vaccinated is being questioned or booed or heckled at all.  No one.  Not Poyer, not Davis, not Lotulelei, not Milano, not Ferguson, not Allen.  No one.  Their private medical decisions are being 100% respected, reporters and fans are 100% respecting their request to not answer questions about vaccination status.  If I'm mistaken here, Call it.  I haven't heard or seen it at all since the very start of camp.

BEASLEY is the reason his private medical choice is being questioned - because HE voluntarily put out his reasons and explanations that go against accepted principles of epidemiology and virology and, I'm quite sure, the careful explanations he received as part of the team's educational materials about the need to vaccinate to reduce (not eliminate) risk of transmission to more vulnerable people.  When I was 8 years old and got vaccinated for rubella as part of its clinical trial, I and my classmates DID NOT NEED to be vaccinated against Rubella.  The original Hilleman vaccine was only about 80-90% effective, and Rubella in children is normally very mild.  We got vaccinated to protect those who were vulnerable - women who might become pregnant and their babies, immunocompromised classmates and siblings of classmates.  8 year olds understood the epidemiological point that if everyone gets on board with reducing transmission by vaccination, the vaccine doesn't need to be perfectly protective on an individual basis!

We all know that if there were a treatment to prevent knee injuries that wasn't 100%, you could still get injured, but it would reduce the risk of injury 7x or 5x or even 3x and shorten the severity and duration of the injury if injured despite it, Beasley would be first in line for it and wouldn't be citing a couple of dissenting voices over the scientific consensus view.  Hell, if it even just made it 7 or 5 or 3x less likely his teammates would get injured, he'd probably be a good teammate and line up for it even if he thought he had Admantium Knees himself!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

So if anyone has any other specific on the following please reply.

Beasley posted his tweet.  That started this whole thing.

Feliciano chimed in.

Fans started tweeting on this.

Beasley had a few more tweets.

McDermott gave his comments in his presser and thanked the Bills fans.

McDermott would not comment on Beasley specifically.

Beasley has not tweeted anymore about this since the presser.  Am I correct on this?

Feliciano has not tweeted anymore about this since the presser.  Am I also correct on this?

That ends the facts concerning this up to now.

It seems this incident is over barring anymore tweets from Beasley (or any other Bills player for that matter).

I surmise that McDermott nipped this in the bud and I am happy he did.

We're on to Kansas City.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What did McD say?

They asked him a few times about it and he deflected. Said he doesn't want to get into vaxx talk and that Bills fans are unmatched or something like that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When you watch the Bills on your tv you are supporting the NFL as a whole........every team gets an equal cut of the few pennies your eyeballs bring in.

I know it's an unpopular fact on a board that is heavily constructed of ex-pats............but make no mistake that attendance is mandatory to keep a team.

I don't know that it's "unpopular".  I agree that poor attendance (even if the product on the field is crap and not doing much to help) opens the door to relocation and butts in seats are required.

But it seemed you were arguing that Stay at Home Sally and Sofa Sam  have 0 credibility to express an opinion on fan behavior and the fans with fannies in seats are the only credible voices because they're the only ones supporting the team.  My point is that isn't the case.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

See the Bills 2019 profit at $80M versus their 2020 figure of -$18M............at this stage in their business model,  attendance is the difference between a profit and a loss for the Buffalo Bills.

Again, no question. 40% of current revenue is significant.

But you could flip the script too.  If the network TV contracts, NFL contracts, and licensing revenue all declined for some reason, that would also be the difference between a profit and a loss.

Around the Kaep kneeling/teams not coming out and standing for the national anthe stuff last year, a lot of Sofa Sams were saying "I'm so Done with this league, I'm not gonna watch it on TV or buy Gamepass or Sunday Ticket etc etc.  If that had been true and the TV revenue had dropped instead of a new huge contract being inked, equal or greater trouble.

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What did McD say?

He said he is there to coach football and not going to discuss vaccine stuff. Said the rates with the team are still improving and the fans are awesome (In response to Beasley tweet about the fans)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

So if anyone has any other specific on the following please reply.

Beasley posted his tweet.  That started this whole thing.

Feliciano chimed in.

Fans started tweeting on this.

Beasley had a few more tweets.

McDermott gave his comments in his presser and thanked the Bills fans.

McDermott would not comment on Beasley specifically.

Beasley has not tweeted anymore about this since the presser.  Am I correct on this?

Feliciano has not tweeted anymore about this since the presser.  Am I also correct on this?

That ends the facts concerning this up to now.

It seems this incident is over barring anymore tweets from Beasley (or any other Bills player for that matter).

I surmise that McDermott nipped this in the bud and I am happy he did.

We're on to Kansas City.

Go Bills!

Just because the mom made her kid return the candy bar he stole, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t still have to apologize for it. 

But yeah, I’m ready to move on to the Chiefs! 

Unlike Beasley I won’t expect the team to pay for the obnoxious minority. But as far as that obnoxious minority is concerned I won’t be cheering him. I won’t boo, but I won’t cheer either. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

1 minute ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Just because the mom made her kid return the candy bar he stole, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t apologize for it. 

I guess a lot of personal comments can be discussed on "parenting skills" and fans can make their feeling known.

The fans pay the salaries and have that right.

I'm just happy that it seems that McDermott has ended it.

The last thing I want to see this year (especially with the stadium talks) is a riff between the player(s) and fans.

• Agree 2

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I guess a lot of personal comments can be discussed on "parenting skills" and fans can make their feeling known.

The fans pay the salaries and have that right.

I'm just happy that it seems that McDermott has ended it.

The last thing I want to see this year (especially with the stadium talks) is a riff between the player(s) and fans.

I added more to my comment. But yeah, I’m with you. Last thing anyone wants is an us vs. them divide in one of the most exciting years of football bills fans have had a chance to experience in a long time. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think he's a dadgum idiot and emotionally fragile crybaby, but I appreciate the guy as a football player and I'd never boo him on the field.  Anyone who's ever played sports knows there's guys on your team that you don't like personally or disagree with their lifestyle or whatever, but when it comes to pulling together to defeat the opposition during competition, you've always got their back.  That's how I view Beasley.  Still cheer my heart out for him on Sundays, but I've got zero desire to grab a beer with him.  Lol.  

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Just because the mom made her kid return the candy bar he stole, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t still have to apologize for it. 

But yeah, I’m ready to move on to the Chiefs! 

Unlike Beasley I won’t expect the team to pay for the obnoxious minority. But as far as that obnoxious minority is concerned I won’t be cheering him. I won’t boo, but I won’t cheer either. 

Beasley scores game winning TD. 

Crowd goes wild.

Bobby Hooks stares into the abyss.  

• Haha (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know that it's "unpopular".  I agree that poor attendance (even if the product on the field is crap and not doing much to help) opens the door to relocation and butts in seats are required.

But it seemed you were arguing that Stay at Home Sally and Sofa Sam  have 0 credibility to express an opinion on fan behavior and the fans with fannies in seats are the only credible voices because they're the only ones supporting the team.  My point is that isn't the case.

Again, no question. 40% of current revenue is significant.

But you could flip the script too.  If the network TV contracts, NFL contracts, and licensing revenue all declined for some reason, that would also be the difference between a profit and a loss.

Around the Kaep kneeling/teams not coming out and standing for the national anthe stuff last year, a lot of Sofa Sams were saying "I'm so Done with this league, I'm not gonna watch it on TV or buy Gamepass or Sunday Ticket etc etc.  If that had been true and the TV revenue had dropped instead of a new huge contract being inked, equal or greater trouble.

Revenue goes down then so does salary cap. So profits should still be there