Three observations about the season so far

43 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I'm not as sanguine.

The offense doesn't look near as unstoppable as last year.

Last year wide outs were wide open.

This year, not so.

Agree not as “unstoppable” but far better balance last 3 games.

Opponents get paid too.  Being circled on the calendar means they’ve been studying how to best shut us down.  see “Ravens 2019 vs Ravens 2020”

Manny Sands wasn’t clicking with Josh Wk 1 & 2.  Looking up there.

27 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

What is craziest to me is our offense still seems to sputter at times this year but we have won 3 straight by 5+ TDs. I also want to point out that Diggs has not had a dominant game yet, so we can definitely turn it up another level.

Quietest 117 yards I’ve seen. That catch in the RZ today was excellent 

53 minutes ago, sherpa said:

This year, not so.

Defenses are copying the Chiefs game plan. They're dropping everyone and making the easy passing windows a lot harder to come by. But that defensive strategy should open some room for Allen and the RBs to take off running.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

I'm not as sanguine.

This year, not so.

That's because Josh isn't running, which is good. Get those completions in tight coverage.

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

I'm not as sanguine.

This year, not so.

How do you know the wide-receivers are more covered this year?

Are you a season ticket holder or did you watch each game with all22 film?

What worries me is the efficiency of our offense. Yes we’ve scored a lot of points. But that is because we’ve been playing bad offenses who quickly give the ball back to us and we score. But it seems like it’s a grind to score. 

when we play the chiefs and they continue to sustain drives and score, our offense will have to do the same. We can’t count on the defense to carry us throughout the season this way especially when we start playing better teams. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

What worries me is the efficiency of our offense. Yes we’ve scored a lot of points. But that is because we’ve been playing bad offenses who quickly give the ball back to us and we score. But it seems like it’s a grind to score. 

when we play the chiefs and they continue to sustain drives and score, our offense will have to do the same. We can’t count on the defense to carry us throughout the season this way especially when we start playing better teams. 

I think we're sleeping on Washington a bit...they went out and dropped 30+ this week and scored 30+ on the giants also...heinicke can definitely play.  Defense is definitely more reliable than offense and you would've seen the offense taking more risks today if we didn't trust the defense so much.  The weather was pretty awful as well so I wouldn't hold today's game against the offense 

4 hours ago, sherpa said:

I'm not as sanguine.

This year, not so.

I've seen this a few times now and can only think that surely you can counter any possible offensive downtick with the defensive domination we've seen so far, right? This defense is so much better than last year, and it completely makes sense - It's a bunch of young blue chips getting better. Loved seeing Ed Oliver dominate and stomp all over the field today, and that's just one example.

And that's even if you disagree with the no longer unstoppable piece. Our point differential would like to have a word, plus our RBs and TE are better, and Sanders is clearly an upgrade over Brown. And it still seems like they can reach a higher level or two. This team is terrifying.

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

If we can get just a little better O line play, (I think we on the way towards that) we will be a  Boulder rolling down hill, and ain’t nobody wants to be in front of that, 

Go Bills!!!

We are above average in every area but the line. Fix that and unstoppable.

• Agree 1

Theve hammered terrible QBs and lost to a Pittsburgh team that hasn't looked that great since. 

I think 4 games in we still don't know how good this team is. The defense looks great but they are facing really bad QBs. The pass rush is better but still spotty. The offense is good enough to win but still just a bit our of sync.  I like that Daboll is running the ball more. They need to keep that up and execute a little better in the red-zone.

Learning to run the ball and adjust to what the defenses are trying to take away will help the Bills as the season wears on.

14 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

playing the fins skins and texans doesnt tell me much besides that we will continue to crush the garbage teams.

Chiefs will tell me more about this defense and offense.

Yet in previous years/regimes we've consistently struggled to convincingly beat the garbage teams we're supposed to, so it's nice to see us actually do what we're supposed to, and then some (minus only the Pittsburgh opener). Now hopefully we are also ready to smack KC in the mouth and never look back!  

15 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Been telling my friends since the day after Pittsburgh that they were our Hail Murray for the year

Meh.  We were unlucky to get Pittsburgh in week one.  Ben at his freshest and a very healthy Steelers squad overall.  But we were lucky to face two poor back up QBs and Tua (who sure looked back up level) in the next three weeks.

I really don’t think this team took the Steelers loss as some water shed moment where they came together.  I think they were already there as a team.  The loss was what it was.  It’s the NFL and we took one on the chin.  It happens.  Now we are 3-1.  Time to get ready for KC and see what’s up.  LFG

IMHO we need to pump the brakes just a little tiny bit, the four opponents we played SHOULD have been beaten by the Bills. The Squealers game still has me scratching my head. Play calling was atrocious, O-line play was worse, and Josh looked closer to "rookie Josh" than "last year Josh". But every team, every season, seems to have that aberration game, and I'm giving the Bills a pass on that game (hate that it was so early in the season but whatever). 

The other three teams we should have beaten handily, and we did, they don't belong in the same strata as the Bills right now. That being said Two shut outs are something to celebrate no matter who the other team is, also scoring 35, 43, and 40 points on consecutive weeks also is a harbinger of good things to come. As an aside, if there ever WAS a thing as a "trap game" the Texans game was it, I could have easily seen the Bills pretty much sleepwalking through that game but they played like it was the 17th game of the season and we needed a win to make the playoffs.

But to truly be an "elite team" we have to beat teams like KC, Tenn, NO, and the Bucs (and I HATE to say it, but after watching the Pats last night they may be pulling themselves into the "competitive bracket").

I guess what I'm trying to say is we look darn good so far, but the REAL tests are still ahead of us. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

1.  The Bills have 3 wins this season.  The Jets, Pats, and Phins have combined for 3 wins.  I see more playoff football in Orchard Park next January.

2.  Dawson Knox has 4 tds on the season so far and is now tied with Gronk for most TE tds in the NFL. (*Gronk will miss Week 4 with an injury)  Are we all watching Knox's Year Three Leap right now?

3.  The offense is averaging 33.5 points a game, and 39 points a game in the last three games.  Now think about the fact that the Bills defense is playing better than the offense...

The Bills offense is playing kinda meh and we are just piling up points. It's scary. If the Bills played the way they did last year on offense we would have scored 60 against the Fins and Texans.

• Agree 1