The Edmunds Report - Week 4, Texans v. Bills, 10/03/21

Freddie's Dead

Week 4 of The Edmunds Report is here.  I will state what I see on a play, then assign a point system -1, 0, +1, and keep a running total.  I'll ignore plays where he's not involved and only look at coverage if he's onscreen (I don't have the All-22).  I'll also flag plays for the haterz so they can skip the rest.  Based on feedback, I'll also be looking at plays where 49 is rushing the passer to determine his relative effectiveness there.  Let's go to the tape.

HOU 1st possession

1st and 20, HOU 15 - Middle run, 49 stacks the line, assists Eddie O with tackle, 1 yard (+1, +1)

3rd and 28, HOU 7 - Draw up the middle, 49 blocked downfield, makes contact at 13, knocked on his ass (HATERZ PLAY), still makes tackle for 10 yard gain to force punt (0, +1) 

HOU 2nd possession

1st and 10, BUF 13 - 49 takes left gap, run goes right for 2 yards (0,+1)

2nd and 8, BUF 11 - Run right, 49 and Cookie combine for the tackle, 5 yard gain (0, +1)

3rd and 3, BUF 6 - 49 blocked on left, run goes right for no gain (0,+1)

HOU 3rd possession

1st and 10, BUF 49 - Middle run, 49 overruns the gap (HATERZ PLAY), 12 yard gain (-1,0)

3rd and 10, BUF 37 - 49 drops, makes the INT (+1, +1)  HOU was building momentum, 49 snuffed it out, and HOU was DONE!

HOU 4th possession

1st and 10, HOU 19 - WR screen to Cooks, 49 pursues and makes tackle for 3 yard gain (+1, +2)

HOU 5th possession

1st and 10, HOU 11 - Toss sweep, 49 pursues down the line and makes tackle for a 2 yard gain (+1, +3)

3rd and 9, HOU 12 - 49 drops into coverage, Mills has nowhere to go, Boogie gets his first NFL sack (+1, +4)

HOU 6th possession

3rd and 8, HOU 25 - 49 drops, Mills sacked by Star (+1, +5)

HOU 7th possession

No impact plays before Micah Hyde's INT

HOU 8th possession

1st and 10, HOU 25 - Middle run, 49 fights off a block to make the tackle, 4 yard gain (+1,+6)

Hard to have a much better half than 49 did here.  Only one negative play, although the haterz will point out the play where he got trucked for a 10 yard gain.  He still made the tackle and forced the punt, so I rated the play a 0.  He really didn't rush the passer at all because the D line was doing just fine on its own.  Mills was running for his life in the first half.

HOU 9th possession

3rd and 1, HOU 34 - 49 blocked at point of attack, makes tackle but gives up 1st down (-1, +5)

2nd and 18, HOU 29 - 49 blitzes, gets there just after Mills throws the screen for 8 yard gain (0, +5)

3rd and 10, HOU 37 - 49 drops, Mills has nowhere to go, dumps it OB to prevent sack (+1, +6)

HOU 10th possession

2nd and 2, HOU 23 - 49 covers 88 for Texans, Mills completes the 1st down pass, Edmunds makes the tackle, holds him up, AND CAM LEWIS PUNCHES IT OUT FOR THE FUMBLLLLLLEEEEE!!!!  Bills recover (+1,+7)

Bills are up 33-0 at this point, and Edmunds is pulled to give the backups time.  

Conclusions

1.  Fantastic game by Edmunds.  He created two turnovers, the INT and the Lewis forced fumble.

2.  His coverage skills were on full display today.  Mills had nowhere to go, as 49 and the Bills backfield had HOU receivers blanketed, leading directly to coverage sacks and pressure, which Mills did not handle well.

3.  Only one play where he rushed the passer, the screen where he just missed getting there.

4.  HATERZ PLAYs were at a minimum this week, hopefully they will continue to decline.  

5.  Really wish my DVR didn't croak during the Fish game.

6.  Next week is the acid test, Kelce and the Chefs at Arrowhead.  That will tell us if 49's improvement is real.

49 grades overall:

Squeelers - B+ (6 HATERZ PLAYs)

WTF's - B- (7 HATERZ PLAYs)

Erlers - A+ (2 HATERZ PLAYs)

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 7

That was a thorough defensive whooping today. I honest to god felt so bad for that Mills kid. They should of benched him, for anyone. They would of been better off running the wildcat the whole second half to save the poor kid. 
I was happy to see Edmunds have a great game and build some confidence for next week. Kelce had his worst game of the season today so he’ll be fired up to get back on track next week 

• Like (+1) 1

The screen that got called back for the hold he was out of position and got blocked 10+ yards down field if I remember correctly.  He was not the guy getting held

That play and the 10 yard run up the middle you pointed out were the only two negative plays I saw today. Best game he has played since second half of 2019! No doubt.  

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Calling it now:  This thread will be short because Edmunds had a great game and there’s nothing for others to complain about.  

that’s because there won’t be any “back and forth” regarding how he played.  He played one of his best games.  He’s a “pro bowler”——he’s supposed to have some good games right?  

Would be nice if he can replicate this performance next week vs an actual NFL team.  For his sake, I hope next weeks thread is even shorter.   

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

that’s because there won’t be any “back and forth” regarding how he played.  He played one of his best games.  He’s a “pro bowler”——he’s supposed to have some good games right?  

Would be nice if he can replicate this performance next week vs an actual NFL team.  For his sake, I hope next weeks thread is even shorter.   

Can we stop against the actual NFL team ***** anyone of these NFL teams can be another on any given Sunday

• Like (+1) 1

Still not sold on edmunds, he had a great game no denying it and I loved it. Main reason I'm not sold is that could possibly be the worst offense edmunds and the bills have played in edmunds pro career. Mills was absolutely no threat to that defense today. I'm not rooting against edmunds at all, I'd love nothing more than him to prove me wrong against the cheifs, but If we use the Texans offense as measurement then the entire bills D needs a contract extension lol.

3 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Still not sold on edmunds, he had a great game no denying it and I loved it. Main reason I'm not sold is that could possibly be the worst offense edmunds and the bills have played in edmunds pro career. Mills was absolutely no threat to that defense today. I'm not rooting against edmunds at all, I'd love nothing more than him to prove me wrong against the cheifs, but If we use the Texans offense as measurement then the entire bills D needs a contract extension lol.

The Texans have a good Running backs

This isn’t the only good game that Edmonds is played he was also good against Pittsburgh even in the loss

In another game he didn’t play the whole game because he went out due to dehydration

I will say this Though I am much more comfortable with Klein With each passing game that he plays

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.