SNF: Bucs at Pats* 8:20 NBC

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

COST them 4 points? So basically a TD instead of a FG.  (Mind you JJ fumbling on the 30 of TB we KNOW cost them a minimum of 3 points) His play has been the best of ANY QB drafted in this class and it’s not close.  As for hype? Where we are saying it LOOKS like we have a QB but we have Xyz problems still.

I keep hearing the bolded. I've watched all of those guys. 

For starters, it's super early.  I know you're not saying that in a definitive way, but some Pats fans are.  As in, "we got the best rookie QB," and not, "he looks better up to this point."

But he hasn't shown much aside from a little poise in the pocket, and that he can be really accurate on short passes. Guys like Lawrence have been asked to do much more, and have shown that they CAN do much more, in terms of a larger repetoire of passes, a better deep ball, running, etc.   Even Wilson did a lot more yesterday than Mac is asked to do.

I like Mac, and think you got a good one. But he was always the most pro ready. The other guys will improve a lot more, and have a broader skill set to do so.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

COST them 4 points? So basically a TD instead of a FG.  (Mind you JJ fumbling on the 30 of TB we KNOW cost them a minimum of 3 points) His play has been the best of ANY QB drafted in this class and it’s not close.  As for hype? Where we are saying it LOOKS like we have a QB but we have Xyz problems still.

Don't kill the messenger Bill Barnwell had it this morning that he was a -4.6 epa. Saying his play is the best of any in this class isn't much considering how bad they all have bad in various ways. The last few years you've had guys like Herbet or Burrow etc.. torching for 300 yds etc.. Mac has managed to be the best by simply not being a tirefire which is a respectable thing. And I get your a Pats fan but the hype is there from outlets, heck Collinsworth last night was praising him last night as if he went off for 400 yds 4 TDs. He looked fine last night which is a pretty solid compliment considering who they played, the situation, etc...

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think he's looked pretty fantastic; I've seen him play 3 full games now I think.

Remember, he's starting out at ground zero.

Pretty fantastic? I certainly wouldn’t describe it as that. He’s managed to not look like a tire fire. And that’s because the rest of the rookie Qb class hasn’t looked great. Herbert looked pretty fantastic last season as a rookie. 

14 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Did you see how he drove them down the field against Miami and TB for the game winning drives? One was stopped by a fumble by the RB, the other stopped because BB thought the kicker could hit the game winning FG from 56 yards out.  Also how many rookies really show you they can just win a game this early?   This is only week 4 and he has 4 TD passes which is only 3 less than Newton had all year! Lol

I’ll give you Miami.. but he didn’t drive the Pats offense down the field against TB and it wasn’t game winning, they didn’t win. He was given a nice pass interference penalty, one that really wasn’t pass interference. Yes the Pats*** had a chance to win it but a 56 yarder isn’t really giving your kicker the best possible chance.  

Edited by Wayne Cubed

24 minutes ago, Success said:

I keep hearing the bolded. I've watched all of those guys. 

For starters, it's super early.  I know you're not saying that in a definitive way, but some Pats fans are.  As in, "we got the best rookie QB," and not, "he looks better up to this point."

But he hasn't shown much aside from a little poise in the pocket, and that he can be really accurate on short passes. Guys like Lawrence have been asked to do much more, and have shown that they CAN do much more, in terms of a larger repetoire of passes, a better deep ball, running, etc.   Even Wilson did a lot more yesterday than Mac is asked to do.

I like Mac, and think you got a good one. But he was always the most pro ready. The other guys will improve a lot more, and have a broader skill set to do so.

First, I don’t believe he is the BEST QB in the draft, just the one looks the best so far. I do believe, outside of Lawrence who is a generational talent, he is the best fit for the Patriots amongst all the QBs drafted. (If that makes sense.)  Also he has done enough, IMO for the team to be 2-2 right now if not 3-1, it’s been sloppy play around him costing them games. (Fumbles against Miami and TB)

Right now I see him as the bright spot on an Offense that is struggling in areas they are suppose to be elite. That is in O line play and the running game. (They got -1 yards running last night! That’s Lion type bad running!) I haven’t watched the other rookies just see stats TE they able to run the ball at all?

31 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Don't kill the messenger Bill Barnwell had it this morning that he was a -4.6 epa. Saying his play is the best of any in this class isn't much considering how bad they all have bad in various ways. The last few years you've had guys like Herbet or Burrow etc.. torching for 300 yds etc.. Mac has managed to be the best by simply not being a tirefire which is a respectable thing. And I get your a Pats fan but the hype is there from outlets, heck Collinsworth last night was praising him last night as if he went off for 400 yds 4 TDs. He looked fine last night which is a pretty solid compliment considering who they played, the situation, etc...

Last night he looked really good. IMO he looked amazing because they couldn’t run and the Bucs were blitzing him like mad and he still made plays. Now is he a superstar? Pfft no but as a Pats fan he is not the problem on O but rather the fumbles, poor O line play, and the inability to run is. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Pretty fantastic? I certainly wouldn’t describe it as that. He’s managed to not look like a tire fire. And that’s because the rest of the rookie Qb class hasn’t looked great. Herbert looked pretty fantastic last season as a rookie. 

I’ll give you Miami.. but he didn’t drive the Pats offense down the field against TB and it wasn’t game winning, they didn’t win. He was given a nice pass interference penalty, one that really wasn’t pass interference. Yes the Pats*** had a chance to win it but a 56 yarder isn’t really giving your kicker the best possible chance.  

The Refs were horrid last night, but thankfully both ways.  The personal foul on Slater and fumble not a fumble.. the numerous times Judon was held and even the announcers saw it or when they did get away with PI with no call.. both sides got away with a few and got called on a few questionable as well.. so Imo there’s a wash. 

I mean he did break a record of most completions in a row by a rookie at 19 in the game so that was pretty amazing.  I also meant “for a game winning drive” also he scored in the Saints game make it 21-13 with 9 minutes left but the D couldn’t make a stop. So we don’t know if he could have led a last minute drive. 

8 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

The Refs were horrid last night, but thankfully both ways.  The personal foul on Slater and fumble not a fumble.. the numerous times Judon was held and even the announcers saw it or when they did get away with PI with no call.. both sides got away with a few and got called on a few questionable as well.. so Imo there’s a wash. 

I mean he did break a record of most completions in a row by a rookie at 19 in the game so that was pretty amazing.  I also meant “for a game winning drive” also he scored in the Saints game make it 21-13 with 9 minutes left but the D couldn’t make a stop. So we don’t know if he could have led a last minute drive. 

I get the bad calls -- it's a fast game and all -- but I feel like obvious false starts always get called. I was pretty shocked that the last one that should have been called on NE didn't get called. It was pretty obvious.

Jones looks pretty good, but I'd be concerned less about him than an offensive strategy built around 12 play drives. So much can go wrong on any given play and often does. It's why they're averaging 17.5 points per game.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I get the bad calls -- it's a fast game and all -- but I feel like obvious false starts always get called. I was pretty shocked that the last one that should have been called on NE didn't get called. It was pretty obvious.

Jones looks pretty good, but I'd be concerned less about him than an offensive strategy built around 12 play drives. So much can go wrong on any given play and often does. It's why they're averaging 17.5 points per game.

I think Wynn was shocked too.  I can’t explain how or why they missed it, maybe they were afraid getting back to their car later lol.. 

I think the play calling is an effect of lack of O line protection and allowing him go deep. Also it’s kinda been the Pats playbook for 20 years. 

5 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

First, I don’t believe he is the BEST QB in the draft, just the one looks the best so far. I do believe, outside of Lawrence who is a generational talent, he is the best fit for the Patriots amongst all the QBs drafted. (If that makes sense.)  Also he has done enough, IMO for the team to be 2-2 right now if not 3-1, it’s been sloppy play around him costing them games. (Fumbles against Miami and TB)

Right now I see him as the bright spot on an Offense that is struggling in areas they are suppose to be elite. That is in O line play and the running game. (They got -1 yards running last night! That’s Lion type bad running!) I haven’t watched the other rookies just see stats TE they able to run the ball at all?

Last night he looked really good. IMO he looked amazing because they couldn’t run and the Bucs were blitzing him like mad and he still made plays. Now is he a superstar? Pfft no but as a Pats fan he is not the problem on O but rather the fumbles, poor O line play, and the inability to run is. 

Against a team who’s missing 4 starters from the defensive backfield. Not super impressive, but just a good outing. His defense keeps him in it with his lack of production, and his oline is better than any of the other rookies have. Tampa stopped the run and dared the patriots to win by passing and they couldn’t do it.

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

A pats fan complaining about holding not being called is hilarious, they made a living off that for 20 years. Conveniently ignoring the false start as well as the bs interference call is all I need to hear,  break out the wine and cheese, so sad….

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Against a team who’s missing 4 starters from the defensive backfield. Not super impressive, but just a good outing. His defense keeps him in it with his lack of production, and his oline is better than any of the other rookies have. Tampa stopped the run and dared the patriots to win by passing and they couldn’t do it.

Sigh, there is a difference between stopping the run game from being effective and the run game getting -1 yards for the entire game. Aka they were blitzing him ALL night. Second the Pats O line should be a hell lot better than it has been, he has been hit more than almost any other QB over 4 games. Third is now the WB is responsible for drops and fumbles? Because that’s why they lost 2 of the 3 games this year. 

8 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

A pats fan complaining about holding not being called is hilarious, they made a living off that for 20 years. Conveniently ignoring the false start as well as the bs interference call is all I need to hear,  break out the wine and cheese, so sad….

Lmao he isn’t a Pats fan. I also didn’t complain about it I SAID IT WAS HORRID but HORRID both ways. Meaning it didn’t effect the games outcome. Also anyone knows football tell ya the refs can call holding on every play if they wanted because there is always holding. 

On 10/4/2021 at 6:12 AM, SirAndrew said:

If you took the NYS Thruway back to Rochester, that explains it. Traffic has been a joke, even on non game days for a while. It’s so congested I don’t even bother with it sometimes. No interest in paying tolls to drive 50 mph the entire distance. 

I took 20A back to rte 77. It was a joke that way too.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.