Urban Meyer still scoring on Saturdays

Process

38 minutes ago, Mango said:

You are conflating at least two issues here: 

Infidelity- I personally find it abhorrent. But does it matter professionally in an NFL setting? I do not think so, unless it is effecting your results and roster management. Which to your point. It did not effect either for Bill Cowher. 

Separate Travel- BB has been known to start watching tape on the flight home from games. Getting a separate charter to start doing that in peace and quiet is drastically different than what is going on with Urban Meyer. 

Everything for you is happening in these separate buckets. BB might fly separately. Bruce Arian might enjoy the consumption of alcohol in his spare time. BIll Cowher cheated on his wife. The issue here is Urban Meyer abandoned his team, to cheat on his wife and drink beer, while they were on a 4 game skid. He was all 3 of those specific incidents rolled into one.

If any other coach did that in year one of their NFL HC career, it would be a major story of not being ready for the pro game.  If BB did that at the start of the 2021 regular season after a 0-4 start, every news outlet in the United States would be running the story, "did BB check out?", "Bill Belichicks heart no longer in football", or "Is this Bill Belichicks last year?". 

You seem to be agreeing with me.  My point was always that the circumstances are the defining factor here, not that a woman was grinding on a HC.  

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You seem to be agreeing with me.  My point was always that the circumstances are the defining factor here, not that a woman was grinding on a HC.  

But if we agree, how can I argue with you? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the players could have looked past it if they respected Meyer to begin with and if he owned it. From the videos, it appears that Urban and this young lady were both fine getting up close and personal. That's between them and Meyer's wife to figure that part out. It's not like many of the players haven't had women come up to them in a very open way in a bar/club. There's also been plenty of well-known drama involving players and their wives/girlfriends. 

But an NFL head coach is supposed to be the guy who lives at the facility, whose greatest joy in life is a lost hour of sleep watching film. Players are going to respect a coach who is doing the work that he is telling them to do, plus some. 

I think Meyer's biggest problems with the players is that he preached that "nobody will work harder than us" then:

#1: He abandoned them on their flight home after a heartbreaking loss

#2: He was out partying without a care in the world while they were flying back, going through security, getting back to the facility, getting home late, etc. 

#3: He brought up Trevor Lawrence's name in his "apology." A totally slimy thing to do. 

#4: He cancelled a team meeting to avoid facing the players. 

In short, he looks like a clown and a phony. He's a "family man" who works harder than anyone else, yet everything he does undermines his own persona. Guys can see right through that, and nobody respect that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

At the beginning of the season I thought One & Done.  Now I think he's headed to Lou Holtz & Bobby Petrino land.  

If we can survive Wrecks, Jacksonville can survive Suburban.  

may not last to the weekend

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

In short, he looks like a clown and a phony. He's a "family man" who works harder than anyone else, yet everything he does undermines his own persona. Guys can see right through that, and nobody respect that. 

Yup.  He's hoping for USC, but is perfect for politics. 🤨

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think the players could have looked past it if they respected Meyer to begin with and if he owned it. From the videos, it appears that Urban and this young lady were both fine getting up close and personal. That's between them and Meyer's wife to figure that part out. It's not like many of the players haven't had women come up to them in a very open way in a bar/club. There's also been plenty of well-known drama involving players and their wives/girlfriends. 

But an NFL head coach is supposed to be the guy who lives at the facility, whose greatest joy in life is a lost hour of sleep watching film. Players are going to respect a coach who is doing the work that he is telling them to do, plus some. 

I think Meyer's biggest problems with the players is that he preached that "nobody will work harder than us" then:

#1: He abandoned them on their flight home after a heartbreaking loss

#2: He was out partying without a care in the world while they were flying back, going through security, getting back to the facility, getting home late, etc. 

#3: He brought up Trevor Lawrence's name in his "apology." A totally slimy thing to do. 

#4: He cancelled a team meeting to avoid facing the players. 

Good summary.  Urban has become a laughing stock, the butt of jokes and memes.  He simply cannot survive in an NFL locker room.  He won't make it to the weekend.

• Like (+1) 2

Meyer flaming out in the NFL was one of the easiest predictions in recent memory...although even I didn't think he was stupid and arrogant enough to feel up a woman in his own bar after not catching the plane trip back from a loss with his team.

This guy is the ultimate douchebag.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Yup.  He's hoping for USC, but is perfect for politics. 🤨

Honestly - I think this issue kills any shot at USC for him. 

It is a really bad look for anyone - let alone what would become a college coach to be doing that with a young girl.  It would open up questions of his influence on other college aged girls and I do not see a college anywhere that takes him until this settles down.

I also think based upon his decisions to bring in a slime ball athletic trainer and trying to slip that in and the way he handled the team so far - mixed with this and his other fines - I think the owner should suspend and then fire WITH CAUSE Urban and get out of paying him any more money.

You have a potential franchise QB there - don’t ruin him with this slime ball HC.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Honestly - I think this issue kills any shot at USC for him. 

It is a really bad look for anyone - let alone what would become a college coach to be doing that with a young girl.  It would open up questions of his influence on other college aged girls and I do not see a college anywhere that takes him until this settles down.

I also think based upon his decisions to bring in a slime ball athletic trainer and trying to slip that in and the way he handled the team so far - mixed with this and his other fines - I think the owner should suspend and then fire WITH CAUSE Urban and get out of paying him any more money.

You have a potential franchise QB there - don’t ruin him with this slime ball HC.

Eh......SoCal is a little different.    

Charlie Weis on the scrutiny in the midwest versus the coverage of then 60 year old Pete Carroll at USC:

"Let me ask you this: You guys know about things that go on in different places. Was I living with a grad student in Malibu, or was I living with my wife in my house? You could bet that if I were living with a grad student here in South Bend, it would be national news," he said. "[Carroll] doing it in Malibu and it's not national news. What's the difference? I don't understand. Why is it okay for one guy to do things like that, but for me, I'm scrutinized when I swear. I'm sorry for swearing; absolve my sins."

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Eh......SoCal is a little different.    

Charlie Weis on the scrutiny in the midwest versus the coverage of then 60 year old Pete Carroll at USC:

"Let me ask you this: You guys know about things that go on in different places. Was I living with a grad student in Malibu, or was I living with my wife in my house? You could bet that if I were living with a grad student here in South Bend, it would be national news," he said. "[Carroll] doing it in Malibu and it's not national news. What's the difference? I don't understand. Why is it okay for one guy to do things like that, but for me, I'm scrutinized when I swear. I'm sorry for swearing; absolve my sins."

I definitely think this is true 10+ years ago when they were a winning program, but I am not sure it rings true with the societal changes and the string of bad coaches that have rolled through USC since Carrol snuck out the back door before the NCAA hit them.

I think at this point they are looking for a clean guy that can win and not a guy that has been run out of 3 college programs for potential violations and then “fired” from the NFL for this conduct.  

I could be wrong - I know USC wants to win badly as that entire conference has been run out of college football in recent years, but I just can’t see him as even a potential option with how he has handled his recent departures and then this issue.

I’m not going down the rabbit hole as to the morality, but stupidity, that’s fair game.

how dumb can you be to not fly home with you’re team that looks pathetic on the field.  Did he not hear of a camera phone?  he gets what he deserves.  I’m certainly no celebrity, but even one

time I was working with my Baltimore/DC rep.  We

scored an early morning meeting the next morning while already there either chief of infectious disease at one of the main hospitals.  we had to get two hotel rooms.  I emphatically told the attendant I did not want adjoining rooms. My rep knows my integrity, but just the look of it as she is attractive.  She says to me don’t worry about it.  The numbskull gave us adjoining rooms.  I had to go back down raise cane and finally got a smoking room.  You just can’t give that look.  I’m her boss even though she told me not to worry about it.

this guy is an idiot.  He’ll end up back in college.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Like I said earlier, and well before the release of video #2, Urban Meyer is a phony and a scumbag.  He’s on his way out in Jax.  This will end in either a resignation or a “resignation” in which the phony explains his need to step away to focus on the health of his family, the Bible, and whatever else he feels like besmirching with yet another one of his lies. 

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.