Urban Meyer still scoring on Saturdays

Process

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I still think it needn't have been a big deal if he'd handled it right. The way he has handled it really sucks. 

Exactly this. 

the guy unintentionally made this into something far bigger than it needed to be.  

5 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

The second he chose not to fly back with his team is when it became a big deal. 

he did this too?  good lord.

49 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Lol to those of you who were saying this was no big deal!

This would be no big deal at all if it was a coach like Andy Reid in KC, BB in NE or even Urban when he was in Gainesville or Columbus during his heyday.  But this is very different.  He’s in over his head in the NFL and people (read: players and others in NFL circles) know it.  That’s the killer here.  Plus there’s the fact that he’s making it worse by mishandling it, which makes it more clear that he’s in over his head.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Never seen anything like that from a HC

Such things usually go unnoticed if a team is winning - or is at least competitive - but everything gets scrutinized if your team is 0-4 after being the worst team in the league the year before.  Urban is probably not as clueless as the situation would indicate (though I am not 💯 on that).  I think he’s probably aware that he’s in over his head and taking the job was a bad decision so he’s throwing in the towel early.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

This would be no big deal at all if it was a coach like Andy Reid in KC, BB in NE or even Urban when he was in Gainesville or Columbus during his heyday.  But this is very different.  He’s in over his head in the NFL and people (read: players and others in NFL circles) know it.  That’s the killer here.  Plus there’s the fact that he’s making it worse by mishandling it, which makes it more clear that he’s in over his head.

It is pretty unprecedented. I don’t think any HC has ever skipped a team flight after being winless, let alone to go drink beer and finger coeds in the butthole. 

Could you imagine BB staying in Annapolis after losing to WAS for their 4th loss of the season. Only to be seen later at a college bar trying to stick his fingers through some denim into a young woman’s Hershey highway? No you couldn’t, because it would never happen. 

Urban is a bum. 

Edited by Mango
  • Haha (+1) 5

36 minutes ago, dpberr said:

My hot take for the 2021 season was Meyer not lasting in Jacksonville more than a season.  He's way ahead of schedule!

The wildcard there is that it is Jax and they were dumb enough to hire him I’m the first place.  I don’t trust Khan to make a single good decision regardless of how obvious it is. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Such things usually go unnoticed if a team is winning - or is at least competitive - but everything gets scrutinized if your team is 0-4 after being the worst team in the league the year before.  Urban is probably not as clueless as the situation would indicate (though I am not 💯 on that).  I think he’s probably aware that he’s in over his head and taking the job was a bad decision so he’s throwing in the towel early.

It’s more than noticed vs. unnoticed. Let me know the next time BB, McD, Harbaugh, etc. don’t get off the team plane when they land back home.

I agree. He’s not an idiot, he’s just an arse hole. Always has been. He is over the NFL. 

I hope butthole jokes follow UM like feet jokes follow Rex. 

Edited by Mango
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Mango said:

It is pretty unprecedented. I don’t think any HC has ever skipped a team flight after being winless, to go drink beer and finger coeds in the butthole. 

Could you imagine BB staying in Annapolis after losing to WAS for their 4th loss of the season. Only to be seen later at a college bar trying to stick his fingers through some denim into a young woman’s Hershey highway? No you couldn’t, because it would never happen. 

Urban is a bum. 

That’s part of my point.  You can’t do this stuff when you’re losing like this.  Those coaches you note are winning and have the respect of their teams.  If you think this would matter at all if it were Bruce Arians who is sitting at 3-1 and sporting a shiny new SB ring, then you’d be wrong.  If it were Nagy in Chicago, sure, he’d be as good as gone.

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s part of my point.  You can’t do this stuff when you’re losing like this.  Those coaches you note are winning and have the respect of their teams.  If you think this would matter at all if it were Bruce Arians who is sitting at 3-1 and sporting a shiny new SB ring, then you’d be wrong.  If it were Nagy in Chicago, sure, he’d be as good as gone.

Right, I am with your first half. Basically winning coaches don't do stuff like this. Full stop. Nothing else needs to be said. 

If Arians did this, skipped the team flight, winless on the season, the whole thing, would it be a big deal? Sure it would, but it is not happening because those guys have some level of decency and respect (for their teams/jobs).

In a general sense, is it a huge deal to NFL teams or fans that Urban Meyer likes to dig for mud clams in his spare time? No, not really. 

Edited by Mango

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

It’s more than noticed vs. unnoticed. Let me know the next time BB, McD, Harbaugh, etc. don’t get off the team plane when they land back home.

I agree. He’s not an idiot, he’s just an arse hole. Always has been. He is over the NFL. 

I hope butthole jokes follow UM like feet jokes follow Rex. 

Let me ask you about Bill Cowher.  How much did you hear about his longtime affair with one of the Steelers’ secretaries?   Almost took down his marriage and it is why he retired to Carolina when he did.  It wasn’t the team that got him to retire. He was winning so it got hushed up and he kept his job.  Only down the road a bit did an ultimatum from his wife cause him to call coaching quits.

If Meyer was 4-0 and JAX was looking great this wouldn’t even be an issue by now.  And if BB didn’t fly with the team prior to TB leaving NE, then no one would have cared.  Now they might, but a few years ago they wouldn’t have.  

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Right, I am with your first half. Basically winning coaches don't do stuff like this. Full stop. Nothing else needs to be said. 

If Arians did this, skipped the team flight, winless on the season, the whole thing, would it be a big deal? Sure it would, but it is not happening because those guys have some level of decency and respect (for their teams/jobs).

In a general sense, is it a huge deal to NFL teams or fans that Urban Meyer likes to dig for mud clams in his spare time? No, not really. 

I agree with all of this.  But I’m just saying that winning coaches can (and do) get away with a lot.  Having the sense to walk a straight line when things are not going well is part of being a good/smart coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Let me ask you about Bill Cowher.  How much did you hear about his longtime affair with one of the Steelers’ secretaries?   Almost took down his marriage and it is why he retired to Carolina when he did.  It wasn’t the team that got him to retire. He was winning so it got hushed up and he kept his job.  Only down the road a bit did an ultimatum from his wife cause him to call coaching quits.

If Meyer was 4-0 and JAX was looking great this wouldn’t even be an issue by now.  And if BB didn’t fly with the team prior to TB leaving NE, then no one would have cared.  Now they might, but a few years ago they wouldn’t have.  

You are conflating at least two issues here: 

Infidelity- I personally find it abhorrent. But does it matter professionally in an NFL setting? I do not think so, unless it is effecting your results and roster management. Which to your point. It did not effect either for Bill Cowher. 

Separate Travel- BB has been known to start watching tape on the flight home from games. Getting a separate charter to start doing that in peace and quiet is drastically different than what is going on with Urban Meyer. 

Everything for you is happening in these separate buckets. BB might fly separately. Bruce Arian might enjoy the consumption of alcohol in his spare time. BIll Cowher cheated on his wife. The issue here is Urban Meyer abandoned his team, to cheat on his wife and drink beer, while they were on a 4 game skid. He was all 3 of those specific incidents rolled into one.

If any other coach did that in year one of their NFL HC career, it would be a major story of not being ready for the pro game.  If BB did that at the start of the 2021 regular season after a 0-4 start, every news outlet in the United States would be running the story, "did BB check out?", "Bill Belichicks heart no longer in football", or "Is this Bill Belichicks last year?". 

• Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.