Athletic Article: Daboll orchestrated Tom Brady phone calls to Alabama QB room in 2017

AmishRifle

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This will expose Daboll

Very likely, 

12 hours ago, TBBills said:

Daboll going to be the Bears HC next year.

From your keyboard to god's ears please let this happen, Daboll is fairly over rated and has not had the impact on Josh that some think he has.  For sure, he is not in the top 3 impacts on Josh, likely not in the top 5, objectively not in the top 7 and arguably barely in the top 10.  

Daboll is an amazing play creator just not a great play caller.  Big difference.  The scary thing is pondering how great this offense could be with Josh at the helm and a top tier play caller and coordinator.  Sure, Daboll called a good game last week but that was the first one all year.  He needs to do that for 17 regular season games and multiple playoff games a year, not every few weeks which is what he has been doing.

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, IndyMark said:

From your keyboard to god's ears please let this happen, Daboll is fairly over rated and has not had the impact on Josh that some think he has.  For sure, he is not in the top 3 impacts on Josh, likely not in the top 5, objectively not in the top 7 and arguably barely in the top 10.  

Daboll is an amazing play creator just not a great play caller.  Big difference.  The scary thing is pondering how great this offense could be with Josh at the helm and a top tier play caller and coordinator.  Sure, Daboll called a good game last week but that was the first one all year.  He needs to do that for 17 regular season games and multiple playoff games a year, not every few weeks which is what he has been doing.

Be careful what you wish for. Yes, I agree Daboll, at times, seems to lose the rhythm of the team with his play calling. But his offense if very well designed. He obviously has a great working relationship with Josh and McDermott. And the Bills offense has been on absolute fire the past two years. So if he goes, who replaces him? What are the chances they will be BETTER than Daboll? No OC is perfect. We;ve seen plenty right in Buffalo that seem great, but just have a major flaw or two when it comes to play calling. 

As I hope we both can agree Daboll is in the top third of offensive coordinators (I think he's much higher than that, but for this discussion lets just give him that). If he goes, what are the chances the new OC is not only a better play caller, but also see's eye to eye  on the scheme with the QB and HC (yes, this IS important) designs a better offense and has the kind of success Daboll has had with this offense?

IF he gets a HC job it will be because the GMs recognize his excellence. Not because he fooled them by riding Josh's excellence. 

5 hours ago, The Dean said:

Be careful what you wish for. Yes, I agree Daboll, at times, seems to lose the rhythm of the team with his play calling. But his offense if very well designed. He obviously has a great working relationship with Josh and McDermott. And the Bills offense has been on absolute fire the past two years. So if he goes, who replaces him? What are the chances they will be BETTER than Daboll? No OC is perfect. We;ve seen plenty right in Buffalo that seem great, but just have a major flaw or two when it comes to play calling. 

As I hope we both can agree Daboll is in the top third of offensive coordinators (I think he's much higher than that, but for this discussion lets just give him that). If he goes, what are the chances the new OC is not only a better play caller, but also see's eye to eye  on the scheme with the QB and HC (yes, this IS important) designs a better offense and has the kind of success Daboll has had with this offense?

IF he gets a HC job it will be because the GMs recognize his excellence. Not because he fooled them by riding Josh's excellence. 

Thanks for the counter view; your perspective is appreciated.  I do respectfully disagree, still.  I feel the whole culture of the Bills is about the growth mindset and continued improvement.  If we remain in the mindset of "who will replace him?", we will never improve.  In that case, we should be content with our OL, particularly interior OL, because we have had success. 

I would suggest, if the Bills want to be the best version of themselves they evaluate assistant coaches in the same vein of the players.  Sure, Daboll has grown over the years (stopped yelling at a rookie QB), but that may be due to him being assigned to the coaches box and removed from the field more than anything.  I will say, if he calls games like he did last week, this resolves itself as he will have seemed to respond to the challenge of the HC to be better.  Yet, if we see the playcalling from the first few weeks, and from the ending of last season, then it is fair game to look elsewhere.

I am not smart enough to prognosticate on who will replace him, also because that is above my pay grade, but I would not be concerned at all to see Daboll move on from the Bills.  Whether or not he is an excellent candidate to be a HC is not for me to state, what I can state that as of now he is replaceable, easily replaceable.

10 hours ago, IndyMark said:

Thanks for the counter view; your perspective is appreciated.  I do respectfully disagree, still.  I feel the whole culture of the Bills is about the growth mindset and continued improvement.  If we remain in the mindset of "who will replace him?", we will never improve.  In that case, we should be content with our OL, particularly interior OL, because we have had success. 

I would suggest, if the Bills want to be the best version of themselves they evaluate assistant coaches in the same vein of the players.  Sure, Daboll has grown over the years (stopped yelling at a rookie QB), but that may be due to him being assigned to the coaches box and removed from the field more than anything.  I will say, if he calls games like he did last week, this resolves itself as he will have seemed to respond to the challenge of the HC to be better.  Yet, if we see the playcalling from the first few weeks, and from the ending of last season, then it is fair game to look elsewhere.

I am not smart enough to prognosticate on who will replace him, also because that is above my pay grade, but I would not be concerned at all to see Daboll move on from the Bills.  Whether or not he is an excellent candidate to be a HC is not for me to state, what I can state that as of now he is replaceable, easily replaceable.

Of course the Bills will look to replace an OL with someone better, but NOT UNTIL they find someone who will be better,. They just don't throw out guys without having a better guy to put in.

So my question to you, since you seem to think Daboll is "easily replaceable" (which might be one of the most absurd comments I've heard this year) is WHO?  Since it is so easy, WHO should replace him. Right now, who is doing a better job at calling plays and designing an offense AND would come to the Bills with no path to being the HC?  If you can't name five guys, then he is NOT easily replaceable, IMO. 

On 10/2/2021 at 10:43 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd take Chicago with Fields over the Denver job and having to find a QB (or bringing Mitch with). I wasnt very high on Fields as far as the draft, but I dont think he'll be a career-killer. He desperately needs an OLine tho.

Rodgers? That feels like a done deal to me. Plenty of time to change but i just dont see it NOT happening