Top 5 Greatest Sitcom Characters of All-Time?

BillsPride12

I have to go with shows from the 80s or later because I was too young to really appreciate shows like All in the Family, the Honeymooners, or I Love Lucy.

A top five is incredibly difficult but here goes, in no particular order:

Kosmo Cramer (Seinfeld)

Cheers Bartenders (Coach, then Woody)

Hawkeye Pierce (MASH)

Joey (Friends)

My rationale behind these choices is that I specifically watched those shows for those characters.  Really, choosing only five is an impossible task.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 1:01 PM, Marv's Neighbor said:

Archie Bunker

John Ratzenberger

Jerry Stiller

Ed Asner

Mary Tyler Moore

I agree with Bunker but no way does that show ever air today. 

I can’t believe Larry David has not been mentioned. The guy is both pathetic and funny.  Interesting that also very few women are mentioned. Surely the following belong:

Lucile Ball

Betty White

Penny Marshall

Julia Louis-Dreyfus

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I agree with Bunker but no way does that show ever air today. 

I can’t believe Larry David has not been mentioned. The guy is both pathetic and funny.  Interesting that also very few women are mentioned. Surely the following belong:

Lucile Ball

Betty White

Penny Marshall

Julia Louis-Dreyfus

That's a fair point.  Once again as I have mentioned before it is greatest sitcom characters not actors or actresses but Lucy Ricardo is iconic and would be well deserving of a Top 5 ranking.  Elaine Benes was a fantastic character but I went with Costanza on my list(Elaine, George, and Kramer were all great characters).  

58 minutes ago, CookieG said:

A relatively new show, but Wayne from Letterkenny is already moving quickly up the ranks on an all time list.

The show looks to be part Fight Club, part Dukes of Hazzard, part Trailer Park Boys and part Clerks the original..the good one.

One of the funniest f***ing shows out there, if you are going to include Wayne, you HAVE to include Squirrelly Dan. That first video must be early test reel, Wayne says "stay away from my sisters", he's only got Katie Kat as his sister, and that's not his house

Edited by The Poojer

5 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

One of the funniest f***ing shows out there, if you are going to include Wayne, you HAVE to include Squirrelly Dan. That first video must be early test reel, Wayne says "stay away from my sisters", he's only got Katie Kat as his sister, and that's not his house

It was a Youtube series before going on TV, that's where I first saw it, a co-worker was following it. 

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.