Should the Bulls and NYS pair with the Bills?

Peace Frog

Should the Bulls and NYS pair with the Bills to build a new stadium on UB campus in Amherst for both to use?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Your thoughts?

• Yes
    • No
    • How about this idea... (explain below)

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Anyone who wants to go to a Washington game due to "safety".  If you do not pay to park you need to pay for a shuttle bus.  You cannot be dropped off, walk or use a bicycle. 

I can understand fans being favor of "anyplace but Orchard Park" (See same fans supporting downtown, UB and Niagara Falls) who do not tailgate but lots of fans not screaming will not be moving to stadium elsewhere.

I went to an Arizona Cardinals game where we parked on one of the more distant lots and had to take a shuttle bus to the stadium.  It was terrible and I would never do it again.  Tailgating near the stadium is part of the NFL experience, in my opinion.  Perhaps that's just because I grew up in Buffalo and that's what I know, but I have enjoyed tailgating at many other NFL and college stadiums other than Buffalo.  Given the option of riding the shuttle bus before and after the game, I might prefer to stay home and watch on TV or go to a sports bar.

This is actually an excellent idea for many reasons:

1. It gives NY State an easy excuse to help pay for the facility

2. Amherst already has the parking and road infrastructure

3. UB can play at Rich Stadium while the new Stadium is being built in Amherst.

4. Bills games, tailgating and parking are not disrupted during construction up in Amherst

5. A dome becomes a viable option as there are plenty of events a major university can use it for

Make it happen Governor! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

This is actually an excellent idea for many reasons:

1. It gives NY State an easy excuse to help pay for the facility

2. Amherst already has the parking and road infrastructure

3. UB can play at Rich Stadium while the new Stadium is being built in Amherst.

4. Bills games, tailgating and parking are not disrupted during construction up in Amherst

5. A dome becomes a viable option as there are plenty of events a major university can use it for

Make it happen Governor! 

Amherst does not have road structure for Bills game.

• Dislike 1

As mentioned, it would have to accompany some kind of plan/commitment from NYS and UB to elevate their program.  

It doesn't make sense if we are going to settle into MAC crowds of 7-12K in a stadium of 60,000.  

Road-wise, it seems more possible than downtown.  People can be moved by 990 right there, 290 in both directions, as well as some arteries nearby like Sheridan, Millersport, Maple, Niagara Falls Blvd, etc.  

Edited by May Day 10
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Amherst does not have road structure for Bills game.

I'm not sure what kind of road structure you're looking for.  There's just as many 'expressways' encircling the UB Amherst campus as any other location in the Greater Buffalo area. (Take a quick visit there on Google Earth.)

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1

Not happening and if college

kids are too poor for cars and uber, how are they a good economic customer for the Bills? They’re not amd I was one of those kids who paid for all of my Oswego and USF (grad school) education.

Besides arguably USF has a much bigger football fan base than UB, and a higher standard of living base in the Tampa area.  They are lucky to get 15-20k of fans per game.  Neither team is Clemson or GA.

Everything is set perfectly for OP.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Not happening and if college

kids are too poor for cars and uber, how are they a good economic customer for the Bills? They’re not amd I was one of those kids who paid for all of my Oswego and USF (grad school) education.

Besides arguably USF has a much bigger football fan base than UB, and a higher standard of living base in the Tampa area.  They are lucky to get 15-20k of fans per game.  Neither team is Clemson or GA.

Everything is set perfectly for OP.

The UB kids wouldn’t be going to Orchard Park. Bills fans would be driving to Amherst.

And the point is to give the State an palatable excuse to invest money in the project since it’d be constructed on State property. 

I swear some people are under the delusion that UB football is Ohio State or something. Why in the world would UB want to play to an empty stadium ? I don’t even know if there’s a desire for a new UB stadium from the school or the state. The football program isn’t a giant money maker, like a big time program. The deal would basically mean UB getting a stadium they don’t need, while the Bills get to use their campus. It doesn’t seem very logical when UB doesn’t need a huge stadium. UB wouldn’t be getting much out of that deal, while the Bills get free land and income from sold out games.  

Edited by SirAndrew

9 hours ago, QCity said:

Absolutely not. No decision regarding the new stadium should factor in anything from U freaking B lol

I can’t believe how much traction this UB topic has gained on TBD. It’s one of the more bizarre ideas I’ve heard accepted around here. NFL teams don’t build stadiums on college campuses to share with mid major football programs. No one cares if UB gets a new stadium tbh. 

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

I can’t believe how much traction this UB topic has gained on TBD. It’s one of the more bizarre ideas I’ve heard accepted around here. NFL teams don’t build stadiums on college campuses to share with mid major football programs. No one cares if UB gets a new stadium tbh. 

This is all just a discussion on a message board. I’ve never been a never say never guy. There are a lot of never ideas that eventually become reality. Given the small market, working class area that is WNY this seems like a really smart idea to me. Other than saying it just isn’t done, I’m hard pressed to understand why not.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

This is all just a discussion on a message board. I’ve never been a never say never guy. There are a lot of never ideas that eventually become reality. Given the small market, working class area that is WNY this seems like a really smart idea to me. Other than saying it just isn’t done, I’m hard pressed to understand why not.

I agree that discussion about any idea is great on a message board. I just don’t understand why UB needs a 60K seat stadium. This is a MAC team that’s lucky to attract 20K fans a game. The idea would seem more feasible if this were a big time college program. Was anyone really asking for a new UB football stadium ? 

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree that discussion about any idea is great on a message board. I just don’t understand why UB needs a 60K seat stadium. This is a MAC team that’s lucky to attract 20K fans a game. The idea would seem more feasible if this were a big time college program. Was anyone really asking for a new UB football stadium ? 

I would think if UB were included in plans for a stadium, it would likely end up profiting the Pegulas to some degree via rent/lease in some form, concessions, etc

Now I would think that the plan would have to include (from both ends) some sort of commitment that UB up-jumps their program with some short, mid, and long-term goals.  It would probably need to really make an effort to move on from the MAC within 5 years for a start.

Right now, they do not sell a ton of tickets.  A lot of it has to do with the Maction weeknight games.  A lot has to do with the level of opponent/competition.  A lot of it has to do with that Stadium. 

I would argue the stadium there keeps a lot of people away.  I went in with my Bills ticket buddies (10 of us) and we were excited to get UB season tickets one year.  We went to the first few games, tailgated, had a bit of fun there... but the stadium is so awful, and not in a cool, dingy quaint way.  Its a pile of formed concrete about 1/8 of a mile from the field with terrible sightlines.  Everything about it is bad.  People started to bail after the 3rd game, the 4th was it.   I have been to a few games since, but its always disappointing.  Not to mention the weather cuts through that thing like a knife, and if you sit in the upper deck on the one side in a late afternoon game, you are staring directly into the sun because the other grandstand is about 2 miles to the West.

So I guess the question is... would more people go if the stadium was a proper football venue and if the opponents were on a better level than the MAC?  Students especially.  Seriously dont know the answer.  Buffalo is kind of a strange area supporting things that arent the Bills and Sabres.   I dont think they will/can ever be at a level like Ohio St, Penn St, etc... but can they get to a level like Pitt, Iowa State, NC State, etc?  Talking like 10 years down the line, plus.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

It’s pretty obvious that folk are just having fun throwing stuff at the wall so to speak, I would suspect no one thinks it’s gonna happen, but then again…, why did the Pegulas make the invitation in the first place if it supposedly would have no real financial benefit to them..,.???? 😁👍 (cue the canned organ music)

Go Bills!!!