Old and Fast - Sanders

foreboding

Great article.
Last week in practice Emmanuel Sanders was the second fastest player on the team, at 34!
I doubt any of us thought we would see such an early season breakout from Sanders. I think we have our James Lofton and it's looking good!

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/36408/the-old-mans-still-got-it-bills-have-put-emmanuel-sanders-surprising-speed-to-use

• Like (+1) 10
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This was a great FA signing for a team on the cusp of a SB run - both in 1989 and 2021

In the case of Sanders, it's critical that we keep reinforcing the strength that is our WR position.  Sure, we could have just tried to plug Davis, McKenzie, and others into expanded roles, but I like this plan much better

• Like (+1) 5

I did and was thrilled he signed with the Bills… if you watched him just the last two years he was arguably the 49ers best receiver in their Super Bowl run two years ago and he was the Saints best receiver last year.

He has very few holes in his game even at 34 and I know John Brown was a fan favorite but man Sanders is just a way better overall football player. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

If you really think about it 34 is considered older for professional sports but generally outside of sports a 34 year old is a spring chicken. It’s not shocking that someone who takes care of their body and trains well can still play at a high level into their 30’s. He’s also very driven as he knows he’s on his last year(s) so he’s giving it all he’s got.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I have said in other posts that I was skeptical about the Sanders signing.  I thought that, given his age, he had lost a step, and the fact that he's now on his 5th team, and his 4th team in the last 3 years, that perhaps he isn't that desirable a player.  I also said that I would love to be proven wrong.  While there isn't a very big sample size yet, I'm going to come out and say that I am being proven wrong.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Sanders can take the top off the defense and  work the slot.  That's something we didn't have with John Brown.  Sanders can run the entire route tree just like Diggs. He's another versatile weapon Daboll can put on the field to make defenses sweat.  He is going to feast all year against team's #2 CB.

Another great signing from Beane.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, ToBillsFan said:

If you really think about it 34 is considered older for professional sports but generally outside of sports a 34 year old is a spring chicken. It’s not shocking that someone who takes care of their body and trains well can still play at a high level into their 30’s. He’s also very driven as he knows he’s on his last year(s) so he’s giving it all he’s got.

Hits and injuries take their toll though. 34 is young overall yes, but most people aren't getting smashed every sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Easily the best WR corps in franchise history- not even close

Dubenion/Bass/Rutkowski, Lofton/Reed/Beebe & JD Hill/Amhad Rashad/BobbyChandler#81 all say ‘Hi!’ in unison.

40 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I have said in other posts that I was skeptical about the Sanders signing.  I thought that, given his age, he had lost a step, and the fact that he's now on his 5th team, and his 4th team in the last 3 years, that perhaps he isn't that desirable a player.  I also said that I would love to be proven wrong.  While there isn't a very big sample size yet, I'm going to come out and say that I am being proven wrong.

Hey!😡 We don’t do that sh** here!

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Dubenion/Bass/Rutkowski, Lofton/Reed/Beebe & JD Hill/Amhad Rashad/BobbyChandler#81 all say ‘Hi!’ in unison.

Hey!😡 We don’t do that sh** here!

Diggs comparable to Reed, Sanders comparable to Lofton...Beasley vastly superior to Beebe. Davis and McKenzie vastly superior to the 90s #4 and 5.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

Beebe played in 6 SBs. How many has Beas played?

The other 2sets were instrumental in getting us to 7 title gameS. Looong way to go for the youguns currently..

Beasley is way better than Beebe, it's laughable to suggest otherwise.

You're talking about longevity which has nothing to do with my point...I'm saying at this exact point in time they're at a higher level.

• Like (+1) 1