The state contracts two firms for New Bills Stadium

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Don't be shocked if a shared Bills/UB stadium in Amherst re-emerges as an option. UB's stadium is obsolete. NYS could take care of both. Also don't be shocked if they propose a dome.

This would be the best possible solution. 

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

The fans have little to do with won/lost records. We lost to Pittsburgh with a really loud crowd. To think we'd go 8-0(9-0) at home because of a dome and loud fans doesn't make much sense. We'll get that record because we have a great team right now.

It does not help with crowds when opposing team has many fans because Bills are selling tickets to travel agencies (some out of area in zip codes Bills will not sell season tickets) which sell them to opposing fans.  They used to sell them to Bills Backers Groups.

15 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Don't be shocked if a shared Bills/UB stadium in Amherst re-emerges as an option. UB's stadium is obsolete. NYS could take care of both. Also don't be shocked if they propose a dome.

A shared stadium why?  UB can’t get 20,000 people now.   Playing in a 62,000 seat stadium won’t improve the atmosphere.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Being the Bills are one of the better franchises now that’s way to much revenue for upstate New York for them to just let go of it will get done probably have a contractor in place by summertime next year. 

Problem is no amount of revenue the Bills make will cover the expenses for the stadium. This has been proven time & time again with other, more highly valued, franchises. Nearly all the money goes to the owner, and the tax revenue generated doesn't ever get close to a fraction of what it cost to build the thing.

And that's fine. I think the Bills are too important to the region anyway. Considering how much people pay in taxes towards things they get no value out of, might as well put some taxes towards something you actually do get to enjoy. I'd rather pay to keep an NFL team in town that I care about than many other things my taxes go towards.

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I disagree. Plus there is undeveloped land across from campus on Millersport.

Yes, there is some land, but the Audobon, Millersport, Maple, and the 990 will not be able to support the traffic/congestion. I live right near the campus and I can say with 95 percent certainty that a stadium will not be built at UB or close by.

8 hours ago, The Dean said:

You simply cannot build a billion plus dollar stadium without spending a good chunk of it on consultants and lawyers. Not going to happen. Expect more. 

Good point. Josh SUCKED in the wind last week against Washington. Just freaking terrible!!!

Seriously you cannot build a stadium to fit the makeup of your current team. That's just insanity.  Plus, the weather impacts BOTH teams and QBs. Who would you rather have throwing in wind and bad weather?  I'll take Josh over most of the other QBs in the league. But that's no reason to build a stadium that purposefully swirls winds. 

I would rather have a stadium that I don't have to watch a game that ends 10-3 or some silly number where no one scores for 3 quarters.  Its not a matter of it effecting both QBs equally for me.  Its a matter of it effects both QBs period.  I like defense but not when no one scores like ever.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, purple haze said:

A shared stadium why?  UB can’t get 20,000 people now.   Playing in a 62,000 seat stadium won’t improve the atmosphere.

Because it kills 2 birds with one stone: a new stadium for both UB and the Bills.  

5 hours ago, purple haze said:

A shared stadium is not a bad idea. At least the facility would get more use and there would be more options available for funding of the build and upkeep/maintenance. I have been on record as saying UB North is not a viable option for location. 

• Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

A shared stadium is not a bad idea. At least the facility would get more use and there would be more options available for funding of the build and upkeep/maintenance. I have been on record as saying UB North is not a viable option for location. 

I’m curious. Why do you say Amherst isn’t a viable option? 

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It does not help with crowds when opposing team has many fans because Bills are selling tickets to travel agencies (some out of area in zip codes Bills will not sell season tickets) which sell them to opposing fans.  They used to sell them to Bills Backers Groups.

They just let brokers buy seasons - and brokers sell them to whoever pays the most. 

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m curious. Why do you say Amherst isn’t a viable option? 

Not Amherst, but the area surrounding UB. The Millersport, 990, Audobon, Maple, and Sweethome would not be able to support the amount of traffic/people. Would I love a stadium in my “backyard”, sure. I just have a firm understanding of the infrastructure here and I just do not see it. The town of Amherst will never be allowed to encroach on all the businesses (commercial) and homes (residential) that are in much more abundance vs OP. 

38 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Not Amherst, but the area surrounding UB. The Millersport, 990, Audobon, Maple, and Sweethome would not be able to support the amount of traffic/people. Would I love a stadium in my “backyard”, sure. I just have a firm understanding of the infrastructure here and I just do not see it. The town of Amherst will never be allowed to encroach on all the businesses (commercial) and homes (residential) that are in much more abundance vs OP. 

I thought it was clear when I said Amherst...I meant UB Amherst. (I went to Sweet Home HS a million years ago. I know EXACTLY where UB's located.) 🙂

41 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

This is exactly what anyone would say if we were just now proposing to put the stadium in OP.

"All we have is the 219, Milestrip, and Abbott. No way they can support the traffic."

But it do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is exactly what anyone would say if we were just now proposing to put the stadium in OP.

"All we have is the 219, Milestrip, and Abbott. No way they can support the traffic."

But it do.

Bingo!  If you look at the roadway infrastructure in and around UB, it could easily handle an NFL Stadium crowd. Certainly as easily, if not more so than any other site in WNY. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I think if the State and UB get involved. Its a Dome down town

Will the state want to spend an additional $1.2B for it though?  I think a dome is definitely in the offing but still a non-downtown location.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Will the state want to spend an additional $1.2B for it though?  I think a dome is definitely in the offing but still a non-downtown location.

The UB site may be a new option.  I don't think we know what final costs for each location (non OP) might be.

It would be best IMO if they take a few months to look at all the options.

I would imagine the most important line item would be the eventual breakdown of WNY taxpayer share of the entire project.

I get a sneaky feeling that none of this will be finalized until after the federal infrastructure bill is passed and the possibility of some fed money

is determined.

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

They should.

If a new UB stadium is going to cost, what? $500M? Then we are really only looking at an additional $700M.

And a lot of that expense that goes into improving and expanding infrastructure is a good spend and not a waste when it is spent downtown where more people are likely to use it on a day-to-day basis.