Scouting The Houston Texans

14 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I'm really struggling with this game on my weekly Pickem Pool. I'm currently ranked third out of 46 in that thing, and I'm only one pick behind #1, and #2. Pressure's on. The current spread is 16.5, and I suspect that is right where it's going to be. I know the Bills could completely stomp them, like they did to Miami. But, I can't get past the notion that they're going to want to keep everyone healthy, play a lot of backups in the second half, and probably want to keep a 2-3 score buffer, and cruise beyond that. But, Houston is not going to stop fighting until the end. I don't think they're going to roll over, and get all mopey like the Dolphins. I could see the Texans covering the spread.

Anybody got opinions?

weather could be an equalizer. I’d expect the spread to drop as we get closer to game day if the forecast stays crappy.

14 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I'm really struggling with this game on my weekly Pickem Pool. I'm currently ranked third out of 46 in that thing, and I'm only one pick behind #1, and #2. Pressure's on. The current spread is 16.5, and I suspect that is right where it's going to be. I know the Bills could completely stomp them, like they did to Miami. But, I can't get past the notion that they're going to want to keep everyone healthy, play a lot of backups in the second half, and probably want to keep a 2-3 score buffer, and cruise beyond that. But, Houston is not going to stop fighting until the end. I don't think they're going to roll over, and get all mopey like the Dolphins. I could see the Texans covering the spread.

Anybody got opinions?

I dunno… the Redskins are a better team than the Texans top to bottom, and we curbstomped them.  I think we’ll cover the spread.

Houston isn't among the worst offenses in the league simply because they haven't been very turnover prone.  But they struggle to move the ball, as well as on on 3rd downs, and this bills defense is a bad matchup for a team that doesn't run well and has an inexperienced QB.  Confusing coverages, disciplined DBs, good pass rush, its a recipe for a poor outing.

As for their defense, they know for a fact that they need multiple takeaways to have a shot in this game.  They will be ball punching and trying all game long.  Moss and DS need to be secure, Diggs needs to get out of bounds, and Allen needs to be conscious of pressure.  Take what they give you - balls out quick, run into 2 high fronts, use some jet action to get their LBs moving to make space in the middle of the field.  Obviously take your shots when they are there, but playing a smart efficient game should get you a win.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/30/2021 at 2:29 PM, dneveu said:

Houston isn't among the worst offenses in the league simply because they haven't been very turnover prone.  But they struggle to move the ball, as well as on on 3rd downs, and this bills defense is a bad matchup for a team that doesn't run well and has an inexperienced QB.  Confusing coverages, disciplined DBs, good pass rush, its a recipe for a poor outing.

As for their defense, they know for a fact that they need multiple takeaways to have a shot in this game.  They will be ball punching and trying all game long.  Moss and DS need to be secure, Diggs needs to get out of bounds, and Allen needs to be conscious of pressure.  Take what they give you - balls out quick, run into 2 high fronts, use some jet action to get their LBs moving to make space in the middle of the field.  Obviously take your shots when they are there, but playing a smart efficient game should get you a win.  

Houston actually ranks really highly on third down conversion % which is strange enough, but you're right, they have limited turnovers/big mistakes and consistently fed the ball to Brandin Cooks a ton. If we can take him away, I really like our chances to limit the Texans on offense. The defensive line should have time to affect Davis Mills as well.

Agree with your thoughts on their defense as well...losing the turnover battle by 3 or more is the only way I can think of Houston winning.

Genuinely interested to see how Jaquan Johnson or Damar Hamlin play on Sunday with Jordan Poyer missing the game (less interested in this experiment against KC though, hopefully Poyer will be back for that!). Important to see them in live game action and see what we actually have at back up safety.

Looking forward to the Texans' final injury report...we'll see if Amendola, Reid, Grugier-Hill, and Britt can suit up. 

Wow! That was an extremely detailed and enjoyable post. Great work!

Lesser skilled version of a Scouting Report on the Texans.

1. The Texans suck!

2. There best player is sort of suspended/benched/on the "naughty but no resolution list."

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Wow! That was an extremely detailed and enjoyable post. Great work!

Lesser skilled version of a Scouting Report on the Texans.

1. The Texans suck!

2. There best player is sort of suspended/benched/on the "naughty but no resolution list."

That's what everyone thought about Bills when they played Vikings 3 yrs ago. So never know what will happen

• Agree 1