Pass Interference in the NFL is a complete joke

muppy

16 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

This is a touchy subject for because PI is such a game changer. Aaron Rodgers is the GOAT of getting this call. Watch a Packer game, his MO, when all receivers are covered, he throws it long, just out of the reach of everyone and hopes for a PI call. On Monday night he got several of them. 

With all the time it takes to throw the flag, have a conference, talk with the coaches and then announce the penalty, we’ve already seen the replay at least twice and could be determined in the booth. 

this is why I thought this topic would broach some great discussion. The booth reviews and such after 2 replays is usually pretty obvious one way or the other or they are overturned. If PI type calls/noncalls still can directly determine game outcomes I think something could be done to Rectify an obvious missed or blown call. Period. Booth referee?

Fulltime NFL officials is a fact right?  perdon if Im wrong there. 

EDIT WRONG still part time to be an NFL official.  Interesting....

Edited by Muppy

7 minutes ago, Damian said:

Gilliam got mauled trying to catch the TD pass and they didn't call it.  Johnston, the announcer who was a fullback for the Cowboys, said they didn't call it because fullbacks are too tough.

Yeah, such an idiotic comment. Diggs also got tackled while he was mid-air and got a no call.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Muppy said:

Watching the Bills, and then redzone for the late games. I counted 10 PI calls that were either missed,  or called PI and absolutely horrible calls.

The Bills game had 3-4 by itself. The missed PI on Diggs bing one, and then the awful PI Diggs drew the next drive (or same drive) that was a terrible call on the defender

What can the NFL do to solve this? I'm a fan of letting them play, but then you leave it as an arbitrary decision to the guy throwing the flag, which circles back to where we are now. Is the uncatchable ball rule even exist anymore?

I cant remember the last time I watched an NFL game (Bills or other) where there wasn't absolutely brutal penalty calls that had a major impact on the game itself.

Have a ref upstairs.......If someone misses a penalty like PI buzz down and throw the flag. If someone calls a ridiculous holding penalty on the backside of a play where it had absolutely no outcome, Buzz down, and tell them to pick it up

/rant 

#ForwardLateral

It's as good as any system to deal with this problem can be. Any corrections would create their own problems.

Those ten PI calls you counted, would probably be disagreed with about half the time by reasonable people.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's as good as any system to deal with this problem can be. Any corrections would create their own problems.

Those ten PI calls you counted, would probably be disagreed with about half the time by reasonable people.

very reasoned take but I still think game changing incorrect/bogus playcalls will exist and if your attitude is cie le vie than we will agree to disagree.

I agree with a lot of the posts on how ridiculous some of the pass interference calls are getting.  What drives me crazy the most is how touchy they will call them all season, then comes the playoffs and it's totally different and you have to actually mug someone to get a flag.  I wish they'd at least keep in consistent all season long.

Edited by DQW87
double post
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Well, in which that the entirety of the reffing officials and their administration is a joke, this does stand to reason.

The real problem is that the owners (who are the league) don’t actually care very much, as long as half azsing this department doesn’t disrupt the cash flow.

Always remember, in the NFL,  money is first, football comes in a distant second.

Yes it sucks but it is the truth…,

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, DQW87 said:

I agree with a lot of the posts on how ridiculous some of the pass interference calls are getting.  What drives me crazy the most is how touchy they will call them all season, then comes the playoffs and it's totally different and you have to actually mug someone to get a flag.  I wish they'd at least keep in consistent all season long.

This could arguably be a brilliant strategy for a team... Instill strict discipline all regular season, then get the reputation for being the least penalized team in the league, play overly aggressive with holds in the playoffs which legitimately destroys a game's level of fairness, Win super bowl!

• Like (+1) 1

There is a perfectly logical explanation for all the bad calls or non-calls.  Whether we like to think about this or not, the refs could be doing this on purpose.

-- First deep ball Allen threw to Diggs in the Miami game.  The defender tackled Diggs before the ball arrived.  No call.

-- Last deep throw from Brady to a WR at the end of the Bucs-Cowboys game.  The WR blatantly pushed off.  No OPI.  Pass caught, Bucs in FG range, FG made, Bucs win.

There are at least 2-3 games a year where an egregious call or non-call is made with a ref RIGHT THERE WATCHING.  Are they trying to shape the flow of the game?  Are they trying to help a home team win?  Or (God help the NFL) are they thinking about the point spread?

4 hours ago, nucci said:

DBs grab players now when they get beat and it's a 5 yd holding penalty.

Not if the ball is in the air beyond 5 yards.

Complaining about these things serves no purpose.  No one complains when a bad call goes their team's way.

9 minutes ago, Direhard Fan said:

Most of these calls do not get called in the playoffs.  Let them play like in the playoffs and ref all season like they are in the playoffs.

image.png.b3060501199b0db786dbbe0434019805.png

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

It'd be tough for it not to be a spot foul.  WRs would be getting tackled early on every pass over 15 yards (assuming the penalty would be a 15-yard penalty instead of a spot foul). 

I expect missed PI calls to happen in every game.  It's only the egregious ones that piss me off.

I agree....however while the PI calls can be frustrating, it's the BS holding calls along with the "no calls" for holding when they just threw the flag earlier  for the same exact type or very similar. 

Lol, it drives me mad....they will flag a minor nonsense type of hold that basically happens every play, then next thing ya know, you see an OBVIOUS, Brutal, man handling type hold and will let that one go. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Muppy said:

Watching the Bills, and then redzone for the late games. I counted 10 PI calls that were either missed,  or called PI and absolutely horrible calls.

The Bills game had 3-4 by itself. The missed PI on Diggs bing one, and then the awful PI Diggs drew the next drive (or same drive) that was a terrible call on the defender

What can the NFL do to solve this? I'm a fan of letting them play, but then you leave it as an arbitrary decision to the guy throwing the flag, which circles back to where we are now. Is the uncatchable ball rule even exist anymore?

I cant remember the last time I watched an NFL game (Bills or other) where there wasn't absolutely brutal penalty calls that had a major impact on the game itself.

Have a ref upstairs.......If someone misses a penalty like PI buzz down and throw the flag. If someone calls a ridiculous holding penalty on the backside of a play where it had absolutely no outcome, Buzz down, and tell them to pick it up

/rant 

#ForwardLateral

I feel your pain Muppy.  Watch the college game and the same thing exists.  Way too many Def pass interference penalties being called.  And the targeting calls are absolutely out of control.  Any hit above the chest is going to be looked at.  I thought the rule was supposed to be about helmet to helmet contact.  Not hitting someone in the face or the side of the head w your shoulder.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.