Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, Greg S said:

The Sabres looked like they were turning the corner last year. With 3 picks in the 1st round they definitely need to take advantage here. With a good draft and FA then competing for a playoff spot can be a reality this year. It's been a long time since they were in the playoffs. 

We def did turn a corner, right after the GK game. But the NHL draft isn't anything like the NFL draft... maybe 1 of these drafted player plays next year, the rest go to Rochester for development. More of a keep your pipeline flowing richly kind of deal... there are only like 4 positions in hockey but in football there are many more.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Greg S said:

The Sabres looked like they were turning the corner last year. With 3 picks in the 1st round they definitely need to take advantage here. With a good draft and FA then competing for a playoff spot can be a reality this year. It's been a long time since they were in the playoffs. 

Even if they package all 3 picks to move up I don't think anybody they draft makes a difference next season.  With the way KA is addressing the goaltending situation, I don't think they will be ready to compete for the playoffs until 2023-2024.   As much as that is frustrating, the worst thing they can do as an organization is try to use picks and young talent to make splashes in FA for short term results.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Even if they package all 3 picks to move up I don't think anybody they draft makes a difference next season.  With the way KA is addressing the goaltending situation, I don't think they will be ready to compete for the playoffs until 2023-2024.   As much as that is frustrating, the worst thing they can do as an organization is try to use picks and young talent to make splashes in FA for short term results.

The Blackhawks have been entertaining trade offers for RW Alex DeBrincat. He is only 25 and last season scored 41 goals with 37 assists. He has one year left at 6.4 million but will be looking for a big payday after that. Chicago is looking at a rebuild and supposedly doesn't want to give him a big contract. I don't understand that as he is only 25 and a very productive player. He can certainly be a part of their rebuild. If they are looking to move him then the Sabres should at least look in to it.

18 hours ago, Greg S said:

As others have answered, it is rare for NHL draft picks to contribute immediately unless they are top-of-the-round generational talents.  With three first-rounders the Sabres can continue to stockpile talent for development.  The upcoming season will be better but probably not quite playoff level...I think the organization is counting on a couple of goalies in the system to be ready in 2023.  I'd prefer they go out and get a veteran #1 now, but that doesn't appear to be their thinking.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Greg S said:

The Blackhawks have been entertaining trade offers for RW Alex DeBrincat. He is only 25 and last season scored 41 goals with 37 assists. He has one year left at 6.4 million but will be looking for a big payday after that. Chicago is looking at a rebuild and supposedly doesn't want to give him a big contract. I don't understand that as he is only 25 and a very productive player. He can certainly be a part of their rebuild. If they are looking to move him then the Sabres should at least look in to it.

Which begs the question, why?  Since when do 25 year old 40 goal scorers not fit into a rebuild plan?

Just now, Jauronimo said:

Which begs the question, why?  Since when do 25 year old 40 goal scorers not fit into a rebuild plan?

Exactly. I don't understand their thinking on that either. If the Blackhawks are willing to entertain offers for him then Sabres should look into it. With 3 first round picks they can probably put together a solid proposal. I know the Sabres would take him. 25 years old and a 40 goal scorer would be a great addition. Of course he will be in line for a huge payday after this coming season. So the Sabres or any team who can work out a trade with the Hawks would want to get him signed to a long term deal first.

1 hour ago, eball said:

As others have answered, it is rare for NHL draft picks to contribute immediately unless they are top-of-the-round generational talents.  With three first-rounders the Sabres can continue to stockpile talent for development.  The upcoming season will be better but probably not quite playoff level...I think the organization is counting on a couple of goalies in the system to be ready in 2023.  I'd prefer they go out and get a veteran #1 now, but that doesn't appear to be their thinking.

i don’t know who they think will be ready in 2023. The only guy with any shot is UPL. The other 2 goalies they have aren’t even in the system yet and are a few years away from the NHL at very best if not longer. And both refused to sign just this offseason. They both had a wide open net in Rochester + Buffalo and chose college instead. Now one can now walk to UFA after this coming season and the other can walk after next season.

It infuriates me when Kevyn Adams continually talks about not wanting to block the path of young players who aren’t even in the system and may never be, and who are a few years away at best (if not longer). Those young players haven’t earned a damn thing, especially not leaving a roster spot open on the big club for an unspecified amount of time.

If either of Levi or Portillo are so scared off by the Sabres signing or trading for an average veteran starter that they choose to sign elsewhere then they were never going to be the answer in net anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

If either of Levi or Portillo are so scared off by the Sabres signing or trading for an average veteran starter that they choose to sign elsewhere then they were never going to be the answer in net anyway.

Hard to disagree with that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

i don’t know who they think will be ready in 2023. The only guy with any shot is UPL. The other 2 goalies they have aren’t even in the system yet and are a few years away from the NHL at very best if not longer. And both refused to sign just this offseason. They both had a wide open net in Rochester + Buffalo and chose college instead. Now one can now walk to UFA after this coming season and the other can walk after next season.

It infuriates me when Kevyn Adams continually talks about not wanting to block the path of young players who aren’t even in the system and may never be, and who are a few years away at best (if not longer). Those young players haven’t earned a damn thing, especially not leaving a roster spot open on the big club for an unspecified amount of time.

I'm guardedly optimistic that Levi intends to ultimately sign with Buffalo. Portillo is an enigma, but I wouldn't count on him ever signing (Ryan Johnson at D is questionable, too, obviously.) Regardless, the goaltending problem is we need someone who is at least decent for 2 - 3 years even if Levi were to develop best case scenario and it seems anyone who has options wants longer term and probably more than KA wants to pay. Nonetheless, it's a fool's game to think your young team is going to progress with a 41 year old and injury prone UPL whose never done anything at the NHL level. I hope there's a plan beyond not placing a veteran in the way of a young player (and as you noted, it sure as hell didn't work as a draw for enticing a collegiate goalie to sign so far.)

15 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Totally agree.  UPL is a major question mark as an NHL goalie. Are we keeping the path open for 28 year old Subban?  Signing a league average vet in no way inhibits the development of anyone in the system or the two guys we hope to have in the system next year.  I really don't see Portillo signing with us.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm guardedly optimistic that Levi intends to ultimately sign with Buffalo. Portillo is an enigma, but I wouldn't count on him ever signing (Ryan Johnson at D is questionable, too, obviously.) Regardless, the goaltending problem is we need someone who is at least decent for 2 - 3 years even if Levi were to develop best case scenario and it seems anyone who has options wants longer term and probably more than KA wants to pay. Nonetheless, it's a fool's game to think your young team is going to progress with a 41 year old and injury prone UPL whose never done anything at the NHL level. I hope there's a plan beyond not placing a veteran in the way of a young player (and as you noted, it sure as hell didn't work as a draw for enticing a collegiate goalie to sign so far.)

Rochester didn't play any defense so UPL is probably better than his AHL stats.  But how much better?  He looked decent in Buffalo until he got hurt.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jauronimo said:

Rochester didn't play any defense so UPL is probably better than his AHL stats.  But how much better?  He looked decent in Buffalo until he got hurt.  

Yes, I have that secret hope as well, but I am not saying anything because the hockey gods are capricious and after more than a decade of sadness, I'm paranoid.

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

It seems like UPL’s first year in the system was also RJ’s.  Enough of that guy already.  Cut bait on him, get a 2-3 year guy and develop Levi and/or Portillo.  Ukka Pooka Sambuca is past his shelf life.

Edited by 4merper4mer

4 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I think Levi most likely signs here too. It’s Portillo that I’m not as optimistic on.

This may be me reading something into nothing but a few times recently Kevyn Adams has been asked about the young goaltenders and talked up Levi and UPL without even mentioning Portillo until he was asked about him. Like I said it may be nothing but it made me wonder if he knows something we don’t or at least isn’t confident Portillo signs here. Or maybe he’s just not as high on Portillo as he is on Levi and UPL.

Im not optimistic on Ryan Johnson either, though I did read a rumor recently that he could still decide to leave college this offseason. Though it just made me wonder if he’s waiting for the draft to see if he’s traded to a team he’s willing to sign with. Still hoping he decides to sign in Buffalo though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

It seems like UPL’s first year in the system was also RJ’s.  Enough of that guy already.  Cut bait on him, get a 2-3 year guy and develop Levi and/or Portillo.  Ukka Pooka Sambuca is past his shelf life.

I don’t see any reason to cut bait with UPL. Nobody is going to trade anything worthwhile for him and what would be the point in cutting him with no other goalies under contract for Buffalo or Rochester and nobody in the system that he’s blocking?

Hes still only 23 years old too, which is actually still somewhat young for a goalie. Ryan Miller was 25 or 26 before he became an NHL regular. He spent 3 years in college + 3 (ish) years in the AHL after he was drafted. Not saying UPL is Miller but it’s typical for goalies to require more development and not to be ready until they are 24-25+, which is why I don’t understand Adams being worried about blocking young goalies with only a year or two of college under their belts.

• Like (+1) 1

Sabres schedule released. They open at home against Ottawa and close out the regular season at home against Ottawa. Can't remember that ever happening before. (1st and last game against the same team in the same building)

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sabres-announce-2022-23-regular-season-schedule-nhl/c-334823980

• Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don’t see any reason to cut bait with UPL. Nobody is going to trade anything worthwhile for him and what would be the point in cutting him with no other goalies under contract for Buffalo or Rochester and nobody in the system that he’s blocking?

Hes still only 23 years old too, which is actually still somewhat young for a goalie. Ryan Miller was 25 or 26 before he became an NHL regular. He spent 3 years in college + 3 (ish) years in the AHL after he was drafted. Not saying UPL is Miller but it’s typical for goalies to require more development and not to be ready until they are 24-25+, which is why I don’t understand Adams being worried about blocking young goalies with only a year or two of college under their belts.

As you can tell I’ve been very upbeat about the Sabres for several months now after being down on them since I noticed that Tim Murray is an idiot…..which was a long time ago.  Overall, I’m still very upbeat.

With respect to UPL any time put into him is wasted time IMO.  If he hasn’t shown it by now, he is never going to do so.  Yes Miller was older but he showed steady signs of growth along the way.  UkkaPukka has not.  They drafted him FIVE years ago.  He was a prospect once.  So was Tony Mandarich.  It’s over.  

It’s sour grapes but I wish they could  have Ullmark back.  They were one year late with having some money, dumping Jack and showing some signs of growth and team cohesion.  I think Ullmark would have stayed.  Not sure what I would do at this point but it isn’t UPL.  If they get nothing for him it is still a bargain as it opens some time for other goalies, even if they are shots in the dark.  Let some other team waste their time or watch him go play in Europe where he will end up anyway.

54 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Im not optimistic on Ryan Johnson either, though I did read a rumor recently that he could still decide to leave college this offseason. Though it just made me wonder if he’s waiting for the draft to see if he’s traded to a team he’s willing to sign with. Still hoping he decides to sign in Buffalo though.

A few years ago I could see a young player avoiding the Sabres.  Now it seems like only an idiot would do that.

Edited by 4merper4mer