Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

21 minutes ago, Greg S said:

(20) Tim Graham on Twitter: "I’m not saying Kyle Okposo is going to be the Sabres’ next captain. But Kyle Okposo is going to be the Sabres’ next captain. https://t.co/eoVfU7P0KP" / Twitter

Well deserved and a very good choice. That gives another year or a bit more for the next leader to emerge.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Beast said:

Well deserved and a very good choice. That gives another year or a bit more for the next leader to emerge.

Absolutely.  Okposo had a bit of a "rebirth" last season and clearly loves being around this team.  Perfect choice.

• Like (+1) 2

That’s the right choice IMO. Okie deserves it. He was who I wanted to get the ‘C’.

I know Tuch was a popular choice among fans but he’s only played like less than 1/2 a season for Buffalo. I don’t think he’s established himself as a leader as much as Okposo has. I think Okposo has earned it more than any other player on the roster.

Plus, giving it to Okposo leaves the door open to give it to someone else in the (near) future if they earn it. Where as you give it to 26yr old Alex Tuch he’s most likely the long term captain. I don’t see how you can give it to someone like Cozens/Dahlin/Krebs (etc).

Tuch may still end up the long term captain but this gives the Sabres time to see who grows into it naturally.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

That’s the right choice IMO. Okie deserves it. He was who I wanted to get the ‘C’.

I know Tuch was a popular choice among fans but he’s only played like less than 1/2 a season for Buffalo. I don’t think he’s established himself as a leader as much as Okposo has. I think Okposo has earned it more than any other player on the roster.

Plus, giving it to Okposo leaves the door open to give it to someone else in the (near) future if they earn it. Where as you give it to 26yr old Alex Tuch he’s most likely the long term captain. I don’t see how you can give it to someone like Cozens/Dahlin/Krebs (etc).

Tuch may still end up the long term captain but this gives the Sabres time to see who grows into it naturally.

I agree as a former Okoposo hater as he his first few seasons here were horrible, so give it to Okopo next season with Tuch getting the A and then when Okopo moves on give the C to Tuch. Makes perfect sense to me. 

I sure hope they just want him as the backup. If their plan is to rely on a 41yr old Craig anderson to start 40+ games for them it’s not going to go any better than it did last season. Anderson is a .900% goalie at this point in his career. The last 4 years don’t lie (.898, .903, .902, .897). He cannot be relied on as a starter. No team was even willing to offer him a contract last season. He was set to retire after no teams offered him a contract.

I like Anderson. I think he’s great for the room. I’d be fine with him as the backup. But you can’t rely on Anderson/UPL and expect to compete for anything but a bottom 10 finish again (IMO anyway). UPL can’t stay healthy and has struggled in the AHL.

If they want Anderson as a backup and a free agent/trade as the starter, with UPL in Rochester trying to earn a spot in Buffalo Im good with that. But Kevyn Adams comments about not wanting to “block” the kids from the net (2 of which aren’t even signed yet and could still choose the college UFA route) has me skeptical they’ll go after a veteran.

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I sure hope they just want him as the backup. If their plan is to rely on a 41yr old Craig anderson to start 40+ games for them it’s not going to go any better than it did last season. Anderson is a .900% goalie at this point in his career. The last 4 years don’t lie (.898, .903, .902, .897). He cannot be relied on as a starter. No team was even willing to offer him a contract last season. He was set to retire after no teams offered him a contract.

I like Anderson. I think he’s great for the room. I’d be fine with him as the backup. But you can’t rely on Anderson/UPL and expect to compete for anything but a bottom 10 finish again (IMO anyway). UPL can’t stay healthy and has struggled in the AHL.

If they want Anderson as a backup and a free agent/trade as the starter, with UPL in Rochester trying to earn a spot in Buffalo Im good with that. But Kevyn Adams comments about not wanting to “block” the kids from the net (2 of which aren’t even signed yet and could still choose the college UFA route) has me skeptical they’ll go after a veteran.

I'd rather they brought Anderson back as a goalie coach. They need to do better, but I'm skeptical that they will.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I think this all just speaking well of Anderson. I'm certain he's retiring and the Sabres will be signing or trading for a new goalie(s).

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/28/2022 at 1:26 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

I think this all just speaking well of Anderson. I'm certain he's retiring and the Sabres will be signing or trading for a new goalie(s).

I was really hoping you were right 😢

• Vomit 1

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Gross

I’m trying not to overreact until we see what happens during the draft and free agency. But man, If they roll it back with Anderson, Tokarski and UPL and it goes about how we all expect it to go they are going to piss away the progress they made winning back the fan base last season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The draft is this week July 7th and 8th. The Sabres have picks 9, 16, 28 in the first round. Any thoughts? I don't follow the NHL draft like I do the NFL. With 3 picks in the 1st round it seems like the Sabres can really improve themselves by making the picks or a trade.

Edited by Greg S

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

This is awesome!!

I loved Mike Grier. Super happy for him!

I've never heard anything but glowing stories about Mike Grier from anyone around BU circles.  I hope he takes that team to 10 consecutive Stanley Cup losses.😁

Ok, maybe they can win one.

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

I've never heard anything but glowing stories about Mike Grier from anyone around BU circles.  I hope he takes that team to 10 consecutive Stanley Cup losses.😁

Ok, maybe they can win one.

His first signing will be Corey Perry 10 year deal.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Greg S said:

The draft is the week July 7th and 8th. The Sabres have picks 9, 16, 28 in the first round. Any thoughts? I don't follow the NHL draft like I do the NFL. With 3 picks in the 1st round it seems like the Sabres can really improve themselves by making the picks or a trade.

This is where it would be great to have someone Beane like in the war room... but, we shall see. I'm the same, don't follow the NHL draft like football at all.

21 minutes ago, T&C said:

This is where it would be great to have someone Beane like in the war room... but, we shall see. I'm the same, don't follow the NHL draft like football at all.

The Sabres looked like they were turning the corner last year. With 3 picks in the 1st round they definitely need to take advantage here. With a good draft and FA then competing for a playoff spot can be a reality this year. It's been a long time since they were in the playoffs.