Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Meh. I’d rather use the cap space for a player that can actually contribute, not just sit on injured reserve. Or at least get more than a 7th round pick for helping Dallas get cap compliant, especially now with cap space at such a premium.

I am not a big fan of these Ottawa style moves to hit the salary cap floor by sending as little money as possible. I’d rather see them overpay for a starting caliber goaltender to actually play for them.

Its not that big of a deal though. The Sabres still have tons of cap space. But this makes me think they likely plan to be a salary cap floor team again.

He’s retired.  Wtf?  

I don’t know how the hockey cap works but why not throw some front end loaded contracts at players that are already here?  Give that $ to Dahlin or Tuch or anyone.  Or at least get something additional from Dallas.

Edit: I just read up a little more.  It’s not 26m.  It’s 1 year 5m

Edited by 4merper4mer

37 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

I can only hope the “future considerations” are a little more than a 7th round pick…. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.   (Obscure Monty Python reference)

Say no more, say no more.

10 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

He’s retired.  Wtf?  

I don’t know how the hockey cap works but why not throw some front end loaded contracts at players that are already here?  Give that $ to Dahlin or Tuch or anyone.  Or at least get something additional from Dallas.

It’s just the timing of this that bothers me, not the money.

I understood when they made the boychuck trade in season to stay above the cap floor. But making this move so early in the offseason, before free agency even opens? And only for a f’n 7th round pick? 🤮 Why do this now?

It sure doesn’t give me much hope that they plan to make many improvements to the team.

14 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Meh. I’d rather use the cap space for a player that can actually contribute, not just sit on injured reserve. Or at least get more than a 7th round pick for helping Dallas get cap compliant, especially now with cap space at such a premium.

I am not a big fan of these Ottawa style moves to hit the salary cap floor by sending as little money as possible. I’d rather see them overpay for a starting caliber goaltender to actually play for them.

Its not that big of a deal though. The Sabres still have tons of cap space. But this makes me think they likely plan to be a salary cap floor team again.

12 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

He’s retired.  Wtf?  

2 hours ago, f0neguy said:

I can only hope the “future considerations” are a little more than a 7th round pick…. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.   (Obscure Monty Python reference)

The reason for the move is the Sabres are not making any big signings this year. They want to leave room for their prospects to keep developing. They might add a goalie but that's about it. They have two players coming to from Rochester, Quinn and Peterka, and they want to save slots for them.

As for what future considerations are, the Sabres got the 7th and Dallas gets nothing really.

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The reason for the move is the Sabres are not making any big signings this year. They want to leave room for their prospects to keep developing. They might add a goalie but that's about it. They have two players coming to from Rochester, Quinn and Peterka, and they want to save slots for them.

As for what future considerations are, the Sabres got the 7th and Dallas gets nothing really.

Other future considerations are the big money deals awaiting players like Thompson, Dahlin, Cozens and others the Sabres deem essential parts in building a perennial contender. 

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

It’s just the timing of this that bothers me, not the money.

I understood when they made the boychuck trade in season to stay above the cap floor. But making this move so early in the offseason, before free agency even opens? And only for a f’n 7th round pick? 🤮 Why do this now?

It sure doesn’t give me much hope that they plan to make many improvements to the team.

Before I realized his status (injured/retired) I honestly thought they were bringing him in to compete for a job.

What’s sad is that the idea doesn’t seem too far fetched considering the team’s recent attempts to fix the goaltending.

This particular team could really use a high quality goalie, and I wouldn’t care if they grossly overpaid for him. It would make all the young talent’s lives on the ice much easier.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/11/2022 at 11:49 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

I guess I understand that they have to spend to the floor and don’t want to bring in a lot of veterans to raise spending.  I guess

If you have several core players that you expect to keep long term, why not restructure their contracts to front load them?   Can you do that to get to the floor number?

If so, why not pay Tuch, Thompson, Dahlin, even Skinner, etc  bigger money for 2022-2023 and restructure those contracts to pay less in the following years when we will be more cap strapped?   What am I not understanding?

Edited by Bob in Mich
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

I guess I understand that they have to spend to the floor and don’t want to bring in a lot of veterans to raise spending.  I guess

If you have several core players that you expect to keep long term, why not restructure their contracts to front load them?   Can you do that to get to the floor number?

If so, why not pay Tuch, Thompson, Dahlin, even Skinner, etc  bigger money for 2022-2023 and restructure those contracts to pay less in the following years when we will be more cap strapped?   What am I not understanding?

The NHL doesn’t allow restructured contracts during their term. Contracts may be extended, but only in the last year of the deal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

The NHL doesn’t allow restructured contracts during their term. Contracts may be extended, but only in the last year of the deal.

And that extension doesn't go into effect until after that last year of the contract expires.  So it does not change the cap hit until the new contract starts.  I really wish they'd drop the word extension from the lingo since it's actually a brand new contract.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Either way, the Bishop deal is nothing to get upset over. It's not going to prevent the Sabres from getting a real goalie. But don't expect a free agency spend-a-thon this year. It's not happening.

If we can come away with a starting caliber goalie this offseason I'll be happy whether it's through a UFA signing or a trade I don't mind. As I don't see Levi in Buffalo for another three seasons (see finish this year in college, signing and two or so years in Rochester). 

4 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

If we can come away with a starting caliber goalie this offseason I'll be happy whether it's through a UFA signing or a trade I don't mind. As I don't see Levi in Buffalo for another three seasons (see finish this year in college, signing and two or so years in Rochester). 

I don't think Buffalo is that unattractive to a goalie. Look at the young defense we have in Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson. Plus we can afford to over pay a veteran for a year or two. Players like Marc Andre Fluery are tight with Alex Tuch from their VGK days. I've also seen rumors of a trade with either Anaheim and LA for Gibson or Quick. Something will shake out.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think Buffalo is that unattractive to a goalie. Look at the young defense we have in Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson. Plus we can afford to over pay a veteran for a year or two. Players like Marc Andre Fluery are tight with Alex Tuch from their VGK days. I've also seen rumors of a trade with either Anaheim and LA for Gibson or Quick. Something will shake out.

I would love to see them overpay for Fleury. He would be such a perfect culture fit.

Id be good with a trade for Quick too. I thought it made a ton of sense last year and I still feel the same.

Im a bit more skeptical about Gibson the way he’s played the last few seasons and he still has 5 years left on his deal. Adams talked about how he won’t block the kids when he discussed goaltending (which made no sense to me. We don’t even have the kids signed yet…). So I’m not sure I see him trading for that Gibson contract. I also don’t know about Gibson as a culture fit. I’ve read he can be an a-hole when they are losing - that he doesn’t handle it well. almost reminded me of Eichel in that regard.

What I’m not ok with is status quo. Reports were that they already offered Anderson a contract and it was on him if he wanted to come back or retire.

I know he’s well liked in the locker room but Anderson isn’t good enough anymore.

A .900 sv% isn’t good enough. They need at least league average (.915).

If they go the bare minimum route again I’m not going to be happy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I would love to see them overpay for Fleury. He would be such a perfect culture fit.

Id be good with a trade for Quick too. I thought it made a ton of sense last year and I still feel the same.

Im a bit more skeptical about Gibson the way he’s played the last few seasons and he still has 5 years left on his deal. Adams talked about how he won’t block the kids when he discussed goaltending (which made no sense to me. We don’t even have the kids signed yet…). So I’m not sure I see him trading for that Gibson contract. I also don’t know about Gibson as a culture fit. I’ve read he can be an a-hole when they are losing - that he doesn’t handle it well. almost reminded me of Eichel in that regard.

What I’m not ok with is status quo. Reports were that they already offered Anderson a contract and it was on him if he wanted to come back or retire.

I know he’s well liked in the locker room but Anderson isn’t good enough anymore.

A .900 sv% isn’t good enough. They need at least league average (.915).

If they go the bare minimum route again I’m not going to be happy.

Agreed.  UPL is the only kid in the system right now and is he really blocked if hes splitting starts with an aging vet?  Quick had 46 starts last year. That leaves a lot of starts available for a #2.

VGK hired Bruce Cassidy:

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2022/06/17/cassidy-says-taking-golden-knights-job-was-no-brainer/

If the players were sick of Deboer’s strict + grinding style of play I’m not sure how much more they’ll like Cassidy. He has a similar coaching system + style as DeBoer. Very detail oriented. Very hard on the players. I’m a bit surprised they didn’t go with more of a player friendly coach to follow up DeBoer.

I still like the hire for Vegas though. Cassidy is a damn good coach.

and I’m still glad we got their 1st this year. I don’t see them picking as high as #16 next year.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/stars/2022/06/19/report-dallas-stars-will-hire-peter-deboer-as-head-coach/

Looks like Dallas is hiring Peter DeBoer.

Makes a lot of sense. The hire fits their roster well IMO and He will implement a similar style of play to what’s already in place in Dallas.

Happy that 2 good coaches were hired by western conference teams!

Now hopefully Trotz ends up in Winnipeg and not Detroit.

https://www.nhl.com/news/john-tortorella-named-philadelphia-head-coach/c-334638670

and the flyers hired John Tortorella.

Tortorella with the Philly media and fans… should definitely be interesting!

Hopefully we get some Torts-NY type media moments. 😂

• Like (+1) 2