Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

50 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

They need a rule change. NHL is the one league I almost never trust to get it right (MLB is a close second, but I don't much care about baseball.)

My proposed rule change is if the goalie skates out and punches one of these losers in the face then the goalie’s team automatically wins.

• Haha (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Tonight I am a fan of the Dallas Stars.  LFG

Yep... and the game starts fairly early too so I'll have it on. I'm going to switch to the away feed right at the end if goes as we all wish 

6 hours ago, T&C said:

Playoff hockey... 2 to go.

Didn’t stay up but looked at the result this morning and it is almost better than a regulation loss.  Nashville, who is playing crappy hockey, shows clinched so must own a tiebreaker.  One loss by Vegas or one point anywhere by Dallas does it.   Lol.  A little extended torture.  The only thing better would be if the pick wasn’t top 10 protected.  Check that.  A complete meltdown season by Vegas starting in September would be better and is easy to envision.

• Like (+1) 2

Dallas really tried to lose that game…some of the dumbest play I’ve seen in their own end the last few minutes of regulation and OT.  Goalie saved ‘em.  Eichel played “ok” but was on the ice more than any other forward and only notched one assist on the PP.  He was -1 for the game and 3/13 on face offs.  Just like you expect a superstar to play in a life and death game.

Buffalo SO won that trade.

Edit:  and with Vegas probably winding up as the 15th or 16th “seed” for the draft lottery the odds of them getting the 1st or 2nd pick are minuscule.  So it’s almost certain the Sabres will get their 1st rounder next year and we can really put the Eichel “error” behind us.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Can someone explain the draft pick the Sabres got for Jacky-boy, i.e. top-15 protected.  Thanks in advance.

Top 10 protected.  If Vegas' pick is top 10 then it defers to next year's pick.

Lottery is only for the top two picks.  After that, teams are slotted by record.  So if Vegas doesn't get the 1st or 2nd pick (with the worst odds) then it will be pick 15 or 16 and the Sabres get it this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, eball said:

Lottery is only for the top two picks.  After that, teams are slotted by record.  So if Vegas doesn't get the 1st or 2nd pick (with the worst odds) then it will be pick 15 or 16 and the Sabres get it this year.

Is that an automatic thing?  I rarely see these trades where the pick isn’t top 10 protected.  If I’m Adams I tell Vegas how great they are and do we really have to bother with all the extra paperwork and if/then crap involved in top 10 protection?  No way are you guys missing the playoffs with Eichel!!!!!!

3 hours ago, eball said:

Dallas really tried to lose that game…some of the dumbest play I’ve seen in their own end the last few minutes of regulation and OT.  Goalie saved ‘em.  Eichel played “ok” but was on the ice more than any other forward and only notched one assist on the PP.  He was -1 for the game and 3/13 on face offs.  Just like you expect a superstar to play in a life and death game.

Buffalo SO won that trade.

Edit:  and with Vegas probably winding up as the 15th or 16th “seed” for the draft lottery the odds of them getting the 1st or 2nd pick are minuscule.  So it’s almost certain the Sabres will get their 1st rounder next year and we can really put the Eichel “error” behind us.

Eichel has completely disappeared the last 6 games when his team needed him most. Last game he didn’t even have a single shot on net during regulation.

https://deadspin.com/maybe-jack-eichel-just-isn-t-that-guy-1848837660

And it should be noted that their prize claim of this season, Eichel, has been dog **** lately. While the numbers overall look ok for him (21 points in 31 games), this last week or so when the Knights have been playing for their lives, he’s been nowhere. 

Last night, and it can’t be stressed enough that this was against the Sharks on the second of a back-to-back, Eichel had an expected goals percentage of eight. That’s EIGHT. His Corsi-rating for the night was 40 percent. And who were these titans of industry that swirlied Eichel for the evening? Rudolfs Balcers, Noah Gregor, and Thomas Bordeleau. No, they are not the guys comprising the band opening for Kraftwerk on their reunion tour (yes I know Florian Schneider is dead but just go with me here). Eichel had two shots on goal, and if you watch Timo Meier’s tying goal with 0.9 seconds left you’ll notice Eichel drifting over to the opposite corner to chase a puck he never had any hope of getting to and vacating the exact spot that Meier would score from.

In his last five games, Eichel has one goal. That’s it. He’s also been getting his balls gnawed off by whoever he’s out there against. His Corsi-percentage in the last five games: 37.2, 63.7, 39.5, 44.9, and last night’s 40.1 beer fart. Even in that one dominant game, against Edmonton, the Knights lost 4-0. His expected goal percentage in those five: 42.9, 60.3, 53.1, 12.8 (!), and last night’s incomprehensible 8.

Same thing happened back in 2019/20 when the Sabres were in the playoff race coming out of the trade deadline. The Sabres went on a 6 game losing streak coming off the trade deadline and Eichel was totally invisible. No goals. No assists.

Sabres missed the play-in round (the year Covid ended the season) by like a single point or something like that.

image.thumb.png.13cbc9934a948d9d6e842d6972f2e83f.png

42 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Is that an automatic thing?  I rarely see these trades where the pick isn’t top 10 protected.  If I’m Adams I tell Vegas how great they are and do we really have to bother with all the extra paperwork and if/then crap involved in top 10 protection?  No way are you guys missing the playoffs with Eichel!!!!!!

No, not automatic. Adams had to agree to it.

Definitely pretty standard these days but I agree I thought it should’ve been unprotected.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Vegas can only move up 10 spots if they win. But either way we wouldn’t get their pick if they win one of the draft lottery spots.

Dallas still needs 1 point, or another VGK loss to lock in their playoff birth. Vegas would need to win out and Dallas would have to lose out for Vegas to make the playoffs.

Dallas plays Anaheim and Arizona. Vegas plays Chicago and STL. 

I’m feeling pretty good about it but Im not celebrating yet. You know, Being a Buffalo fan and all… Murphy’s law. lol

Edited by BillsFan4

48 minutes ago, T&C said:

Las Vegas @ Chicago in 20 minutes... Blackhawks are playing for nothing other than to be a spoiler.

I think Vegas wins tonight but it would be funny if Chi knocked them out then lost 8-2 against us at RJ’s finale.