Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

It’s going to be so weird without RJ calling plays. He’s been doing the Sabres play-by-play my entire life. I remember always listening to games on the radio back before he took over the TV broadcasts in the mid-90’s.

I was really hoping the Sabres could make the playoffs at least once more before he retired. But obviously that didn’t happen.

I wonder if he would consider possibly coming out of retirement for at least one post-season game if the Sabres make it in the next couple/few years. That would be great!

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Oh it's definitely going to be a full house!  But that doesn't mean it's an official sell-out yet.  I know as of today it was pretty close, I would imagine by puck drop we will be there.  Kinda similar to how there were doubts the Patriots playoff game would be a sellout but once it got closer toward gameday there was no doubt.

only 8 seats unsold as of this morning. I have to believe it sold out.

7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

It’s going to be so weird without RJ calling plays. He’s been doing the Sabres play-by-play my entire life. I remember always listening to games on the radio back before he took over the TV broadcasts in the mid-90’s.

I was really hoping the Sabres could make the playoffs at least once more before he retired. But obviously that didn’t happen.

I wonder if he would consider possibly coming out of retirement for at least one post-season game if the Sabres make it in the next couple/few years. That would be great!

I hope they do ask RJ to do a playoff game if, mercifully, it happens next year.

• Like (+1) 2

From things I have now seen it looks like it's officially a sellout.  I haven't been this excited for a Sabres game since the playoff years.  Will be the first time for many of the youngsters on the team to play in front of a juiced up home crowd.  Donny Meatballs should have the boys fired up.  This is a game they NEED to show up for.

I only watched from afar but what an amazing atmosphere, and then the team went out and backed it up.  Time to end the ridiculous Pegula hate and embrace this team.  What a great and deserving night for RJ.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

I only watched from afar but what an amazing atmosphere, and then the team went out and backed it up.  Time to end the ridiculous Pegula hate and embrace this team.  What a great and deserving night for RJ.

They've gone on runs like this several times in the last 10 years.  I need to see more. A lot more.  They are giving up far far too many goals for this to be sustainable.

44 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

They've gone on runs like this several times in the last 10 years.  I need to see more. A lot more.  They are giving up far far too many goals for this to be sustainable.

I think the Vegas game, Heritage Classic, down 0-4 in Chicago, and now tonight's RJ game have given us as big a reason as any in the last 10 years to believe the Sabres are ready to contend again

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I think the Vegas game, Heritage Classic, down 0-4 in Chicago, and now tonight's RJ game have given us as big a reason as any in the last 10 years to believe the Sabres are ready to contend again

That Chicago game had at least 3 extremely fortunate bounces. Extremely.  

I need to see more for a longer period of time and that period of time needs to extend significantly into next season. As in, well into January if not February.  Were this a slightly better year in the not so distant past we'd be referring to this as the valiant run for 9th.

6 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

They need goaltending.  Everyone knows that.  They won’t be contenders until they have a legitimate #1 between the pipes.  That doesn’t change the obvious shift in both culture and talent on the ice, with more talent coming up next year.  It is an exciting time to be a Sabres fan, watching this young team grow.

• Agree 2

Man, what a game! And what a way to send RJ off into retirement! I was so happy for him.

I’m also glad this new young generation of players got to see what the arena could be like if they start winning again. Hopefully it gives them a bit more motivation to continue turning this franchise around.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, eball said:

Time to end the ridiculous Pegula hate and embrace this team.

11 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

10 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Buffalo Sabres 2023: "We suck less than we used to!"

4 hours ago, eball said:

They need goaltending.  Everyone knows that.  They won’t be contenders until they have a legitimate #1 between the pipes.  That doesn’t change the obvious shift in both culture and talent on the ice, with more talent coming up next year.  It is an exciting time to be a Sabres fan, watching this young team grow.

They need to get Levi and/or Portillo going quickly.  The current guys, including UPL, aren't the answer.

It was nice to see a full building and a loud crowd. Miss seeing that. I know many are hesitant to give them a chance yet but I think this time it's different. The young players are already showing signs of being good. The big thing is they are getting some goaltending which they didn't have for much of the year. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

That's what happens when you only look at scores and stats. You get no sense of what's going on with this team. This is NOT the same team of the past ten years. They are kicking ass and taking names. Sorry you're missing it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's what happens when you only look at scores and stats. You get no sense of what's going on with this team. This is NOT the same team of the past ten years. They are kicking ass and taking names. Sorry you're missing it.

Agreed. Its the one thing that bothers me.  So many here are Boxscore watchers. The Sabres have been fun to watch but many don't bother to watch and just look at the box score. 

What I have never can figure out is how Bills fans that have left WNY still follow the Bills but could care less about the Sabres or hockey

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

Agreed. Its the one thing that bothers me.  So many here are Boxscore watchers. The Sabres have been fun to watch but many don't bother to watch and just look at the box score. 

What I have never can figure out is how Bills fans that have left WNY still follow the Bills but could care less about the Sabres or hockey

I have always found that interesting myself.  While it's hard for me to say since I'm still in WNY, I have a hard time believing I would just give up the Sabres if I ever moved out of the area.  They were such a huge part of my childhood growing up.

7 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I have always found that interesting myself.  While it's hard for me to say since I'm still in WNY, I have a hard time believing I would just give up the Sabres if I ever moved out of the area.  They were such a huge part of my childhood growing up.

My Buffalo fandom actually increased the further I got from WNY.  You realize just how special things are in Buffalo when you reflect on it from afar.  When I first got to Denver, there was no place to watch the Bills games with volume.  So we started a Bills Backers chapter, planted a flag, and the masses of Buffalo fans gravitated to us.  When the Sabres were in the playoffs, our bar was jammed with Sabres fans.  When Pommers scored that goal we spilled out into the streets of downtown Denver like we just won the cup.  Our love for all things Buffalo make us unique out here; it's almost like a family reunion type of atmosphere.  It's really quite special, and we're very proud of that

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I've watched them play a couple times this month. I'm not going to argue that it isn't better. It is. It needs to continue. You don't wipe away a decade of garbage with 3 weeks of tolerable hockey.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

They need to get Levi and/or Portillo going quickly.  The current guys, including UPL, aren't the answer.

Levi is going back to school so he is 2023 at the soonest, more likely 2024.

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

I've watched them play a couple times this month. I'm not going to argue that it isn't better. It is. It needs to continue. You don't wipe away a decade of garbage with 3 weeks of tolerable hockey.

I would say the Sabres play has been far above tolerable