Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, shrader said:

I have it on msg on Directv through the center ice free preview right now

As a cap floor team right now, we’re at a point where fans shouldn’t worry one bit about an excessive contract. That deal actually helps the team at this point. 

This wasn’t one of the games being exclusively broadcast on ESPN + (I can see how my post was confusing though).

They mentioned it during the game broadcast today. I think the Boston game coming up is the first one exclusively on ESPN +.

22 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Whoops!  Upon further review, I realize I know the Proclaimers song, but only since I first heard it linked to the Molson Export commercial.  The only one I truly knew was 'You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet', BTO, a staple of Canadian classic rock, and only a half step behind 'Takin' Care of Business', which is a staple at Canadian wedding receptions. 😁

You don't know "Let's Go Crazy" by Prince?

5 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

This wasn’t one of the games being exclusively broadcast on ESPN + (I can see how my post was confusing though).

They mentioned it during the game broadcast today. I think the Boston game coming up is the first one exclusively on ESPN +.

I live in Phoenix and rarely get to see a Sabres game. Usually have to go to a bar to watch the Bill's. Just before the Bill's season started I bought a TV box called, Superbox SP2 pro with Wi-Fi.  It cost $300 from Walmart online. Absolutely no fees for any of 1000 channels I get. I get Redzone, NFL game pass, all the hockey games being played, all the movie channels that cable offers.  I won't be missing to many games from now on. What I've saved so far from not having to go to a bar and watch the games has paid for itself.  If you have good Wi-Fi and are sick of the cable companies I strongly recommend this box.

On 10/16/2021 at 8:07 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

I worry that some people out there actually think the team is actually going to keep this going. Enjoy it now folks while you can, this is still going to be a very bumpy season. Hopefully we are finally seeing the building blocks. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/16/2021 at 8:04 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

The Pegulas don't play the games. They already did their job flushing Botterill out. Fixing the team is not a flipping a switch. Just be patient.

They did their job hiring Botterill and sitting there while he did (more) damage in the first place (as well as Housley, refusing to fire him while funding his wife's silly Senate campaign).  They actually gave Botterill a vote of confidence and were prepared to retain him, only until Krueger made some sort of powerplay, they demanded the entire hockey staff must be fired, and Botterill wouldnt do it (but lackey from the Jr Sabres Kevyn Adyms was more than willing.....

So Kruger, another disaster mistake.  They actually made that guy the 4th highest paid coach in the NHL with term when they hired him.  

They dont play the games, but man.  They have made terrible decisions.  I am about 0% convinced about Adams and the current front office at this point. 

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

They did their job hiring Botterill and sitting there while he did (more) damage in the first place (as well as Housley, refusing to fire him while funding his wife's silly Senate campaign).  They actually gave Botterill a vote of confidence and were prepared to retain him, only until Krueger made some sort of powerplay, they demanded the entire hockey staff must be fired, and Botterill wouldnt do it (but lackey from the Jr Sabres Kevyn Adyms was more than willing.....

So Kruger, another disaster mistake.  They actually made that guy the 4th highest paid coach in the NHL with term when they hired him.  

They dont play the games, but man.  They have made terrible decisions.  I am about 0% convinced about Adams and the current front office at this point. 

I know it's tough to have faith in Adams. I do think they have found their coach. I think Granato is going to be good. He's got them playing exciting hockey. I don't expect playoffs but I would be happy if they play like this all year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Lackey from the Jr. Sabres? Well ok then.

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Base things on what you see happening, not on what happened. The Pegulas were screwing up everything with the Bills, until they hired Sean McDermott. Skill or dumb luck, it doesn't matter how he landed here. Same with the Sabres. Many many bad decisions. But I think Adams is going to get this on the right path at the very least. In fact the Sabres are very much following the Bills playbook: get rid of the locker room lawyers and cancers and start fresh with young and hungry players that will give 110%. Then unlock veteran leadership in Kyle Okposo and Zemgus Girgensons. This team is no accident. Granato is the perfect coach for this team.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Lackey from the Jr. Sabres? Well ok then.

So Brandon Beane is just a yes-man for McDermott?

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I worry that some people out there actually think the team is actually going to keep this going. Enjoy it now folks while you can, this is still going to be a very bumpy season. Hopefully we are finally seeing the building blocks. 

See above tweet. There's no patting themselves on the back for getting to 2-0.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

See above tweet. There's no patting themselves on the back for getting to 2-0.

I'm talking specifically about the fans though.  They're going to struggle at times and I'm not looking forward to a lot of "the sky is falling" style comments when that does happen.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Basically, yes.  Beane came after McDermott, hand-picked for being willing to work in cohesion.  It works out great

No doubt, that is what the Pegulas were going for with the Sabres.  The Bills' model was working, so they decided to empower the head coach at the top of the Hockey department (as we see in the NFL).  The problem is, NHL coaches are all temporary mercenaries, whose time runs out as quick as it starts, with very few exceptions.  And the guy they empowered was completely out of his depth.

NHL front offices/ops are a bit more tricky than the NFL.  In the NHL, you are scouting 18 year old players across the world playing against/with apples to oranges competition.  You need to properly develop.  You also have a rigid, unforgiving salary cap where mistakes are amplified.  In the NFL you can churn the whole organization in 1-2 years, grabbing several starters in 1 draft class.

Adams, I have my doubts.  He has zero NHL executive experience, and if he hit the streets now, he would get Zero offers or probably zero interviews to be a GM for any NHL team.  He has been GM for 16? months now and brought the worst or second-worst team in franchise history... While the 2-0-0 start is encouraging, this team will also contend for worst in franchise history.  He neglected the goaltender position since he got the job (did they even interview anybody for that?).

I guess I can be patient and wait 5 years or however long it takes to definitively declare 'failure'.  I would be much more comfortable being patient if the team was being run by somebody with some track-record.

Edited by May Day 10

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Depends. Is there a Jr. Bills program where Beane served his lackey apprenticeship?

Edited by K-9

7 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I am sad I missed Cody Eakin's goal song.  What goal song will we hear first: Eakins 2nd or Skinner's first?

Let’s hope it’s Eakin. I mean, have you heard Skinner’s goal song?

37 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm talking specifically about the fans though.  They're going to struggle at times and I'm not looking forward to a lot of "the sky is falling" style comments when that does happen.

I don't think they will struggle. They might lose games but it won't be for lack of effort. Hustle is a skill and these guys hustle. I've watched nearly every Sabres game for the last 20+ years and I haven't seen this level of effort since 2005. Teams that play the Sabres will have to skate with them to beat them.

35 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Depends. Is there a Jr. Bills program where Beane served his lackey apprenticeship?

Answer me honestly: Have you watched these two games? Not highlights, not looking at a box score. Watched all 60 minutes.

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think they will struggle. They might lose games but it won't be for lack of effort. Hustle is a skill and these guys hustle. I've watched nearly every Sabres game for the last 20+ years and I haven't seen this level of effort since 2005. Teams that play the Sabres will have to skate with them to beat them.

Answer me honestly: Have you watched these two games? Not highlights, not looking at a box score. Watched all 60 minutes.

What would watching 2 hockey games tell us about Adams qualifications as a GM that we don't already know?