Schedule makers did us no favors

4merper4mer

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’m probably making more out of this than need be, but something has struck me as off since the schedule came out.  Two of our tougher games, KC and Tenn; games which could have an impact on seeding, are coming up.  Forgetting the fact that they are back to back….again…..they also come after games which put us at a schedule disadvantage.

1. We play Wash coming off a mini-bye

2. We play Hou coming off a mini-bye

Granted these teams aren’t great but still.

3. And most importantly, the NFL added an extra game to the schedule this year.  It involved an inter-conference opponent that was not in the previous formula.  Ours is Wash.  So not only do we head into KC/Tenn after playing two teams off byes, but we’ve already played our extra game.  I’m glad this is week 5/6 rather than say 11/12 but by then maybe KC and Tenn would have played an extra game too.  

This seems unfair.

Not only have we played our extra game already, but just as importantly, the Chiefs havent played any NFC teams yet.

They have 2 valuable losses to AFC teams, and we have a win over an NFC team that will end up dragging us down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

We are using KC and TN back to back as being screwed by the schedule makers? Bills fans have really gotten greedy with a little bit of success. Not a huge deal. You have to beat the guys you play. To get to the SuperBowl, you have to beat the 2 or 3 best teams in the conference in a row. You can either do it or you can't. 

That said, if I had to play two teams on the schedule after a "mini-bye", I want them to be WAS and HOU. 

We get 7 days between WAS, HOU,  and KC. Then 8 days between KC and TEN. This is a nothing-burger. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I actually hadn’t noticed it when the schedule first came out but three out of the first four at home gets you off to a good start. Then…you get the weekly grind with four out of the next five on the road. That’s going to be a lot of living in and out of a suitcase during October. The good news is that none of the games are on the west coast so the time change won’t factor into that long stretch.  

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

Help me understand this.....seriously what bloody difference does this make???  What difference does this make????

In every game players get nicked up.  Player our extra game before we play KC is likely to have less players at 100%.

• Disagree 2

53 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

Wait, what?  Granted, I'm a bit older now, but if my math skills are holding up then nobody will have played an "extra game" until after week 18 is complete.  Every season, teams play an equal number of games against different and inherently unequal opponents determined by a formula.  Has that concept changed?  Or has the formula simply been tweaked to add a 17th game that every team plays?  I'm pretty sure its the latter.  Has it ever been policy to have all teams play divisional or inter conference games at equal pace and on similarly scheduled weeks?  I don't remember that ever being part of the deal.  Do you?

K.C. has already played Cleveland.  We haven't and don't.  K.C. has already played Baltimore.  We haven't and don't.  So what?  This is NFL scheduling as it has always been.  KC has played 3 games.  So have we.  When we meet them in week 5, we will each come in having prepared for and played 4 different and unique opponents.  Life in the N.F.L.  as it has always been...  

the extra game was added this year and ours was Washington.  We played it.  The Chiefs get the Packers on Nov 7 thus we’ll have played their extra game and they will not have.

Edited by 4merper4mer

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Let me break it in two:

1. Based on previous schedules, Washington would not have been a team we played.  They were the extra game.

2. We already played them.

So we’ve already played our extra game.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e472vtte6peowak006e5e

23 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

In every game players get nicked up.  Player our extra game before we play KC is likely to have less players at 100%.

Except that we've all played the same total number of games to date...?:blink:

• Haha (+1) 1

No need to restate the Washington results, and the Houston game. regardless of a so-called mini bye, is as close to a "gimme" game as the league will likely see this season.  I don't think having played two bad teams coming off "mini-byes" will have any detrimental effect on the Bills when they face KC and Tennessee.  The concerns facing KC are about whether or not KC can get themselves straightened out, and can Josh Gordon get on the field in two weeks and be effective.  Tennessee is probably less of a concern than KC.  Even though their record is 2-1, the same as Buffalo, they have a net - 13 point differential where Buffalo is tied for the league lead with a + 50.

17 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

the extra game was added this year and ours was Washington.  We played it.  The Chiefs get the Packers on Nov 7 thus we’ll have played their extra game and they will not have.

And exactly how is that a competitive advantage or disadvantage to either team when they play each other.  Before you tell me how interconfertnce games are counted or "discounted" as playoff tiebreakers, please tell me when the playoff berths are awarded.  Are they not awarded after every team has played every game on their schedule?  Given that, why does any of this matter to anyone?

9 minutes ago, fridge said:

I'm of the opinion that trolling TSW is not a fair fight. Most of the people who post here can barely read. @4merper4mer you need to get a better hobby.

Also, when exactly did you lose the password to the crayonz account?

To be fair, this is a pretty brilliant troll job.  He leads with a clear, solid title to suck us in "Schedule makers did us no favors", then proceeds with a straightforward argument (regardless of it's lack of persuasiveness) about "minibyes", and only drops in his "extra game" gem as point number 3.  So, we feel as if we're reading the thread of a regular, normal, clearheaded poster before being blindsided by the ultimate fail in logic that makes us question our own ability to critically think about something so simple.  Bravo.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think someone analyzed it a few years back and showed that we actually were getting the short end of the stick when it came to scheduling.  We'd play more teams coming off byes or mini-byes (often the Patriots), we never (ever) got the Patriots when they were coming off a short week, our multi-game road trips were worse, et. cetera.

I don't think it was about purposely screwing us over.  I think for the most part the league tries to build a fair schedule but it doesn't always fit, and when you need to give the short end to a few teams in order to make it fit, it's only logical that you would pick the teams least likely to impact playoff seeding either way.  For many years, that was us.  Add to that the fact that Ralph (or Russ) continually asked for as many 1 pm Sunday home games as possible in order to sell tickets and save money, and that meant that we had used up our special request quota with the league.

Bottom line:  bad teams complain about the schedule.  Good teams say "who's next?"  We're finally in the latter category again and I'm perfectly happy with that.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, cwater10 said:

And exactly how is that a competitive advantage or disadvantage to either team when they play each other.  Before you tell me how interconfertnce games are counted or "discounted" as playoff tiebreakers, please tell me when the playoff berths are awarded.  Are they not awarded after every team has played every game on their schedule?  Given that, why does any of this matter to anyone?

1. Football is a tough game and every game take somewhat of a toll

2. An extra game was added this year, this will take an extra toll

3.  Our extra game was Washington and we played it thus our extra toll has been taken

4. KC and Tenn have not played their extra game.

I think you are making a lot out of something that is random and not influential.  If they were playing Tenn and KC off of their Thursday games (not a bye though) then I would have a bigger concern.

I have no idea what you mean by the Bills already played their extra game.  When they play KC both teams will have played 4 games previous.  Why does it matter which of the 17 it is?

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

To be fair, this is a pretty brilliant troll job.  He leads with a clear, solid title to suck us in "Schedule makers did us no favors", then proceeds with a straightforward argument (regardless of it's lack of persuasiveness) about "minibyes", and only drops in his "extra game" gem as point number 3.  So, we feel as if we're reading the thread of a regular, normal, clearheaded poster before being blindsided by the ultimate fail in logic that makes us question our own ability to critically think about something so simple.  Bravo.

Would you analyze a grown man dunking on children in a basketball game? Because that's what you just did.