Schedule makers did us no favors

4merper4mer

14 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’m probably making more out of this than need be, but something has struck me as off since the schedule came out.  Two of our tougher games, KC and Tenn; games which could have an impact on seeding, are coming up.  Forgetting the fact that they are back to back….again…..they also come after games which put us at a schedule disadvantage.

1. We play Wash coming off a mini-bye

2. We play Hou coming off a mini-bye

Granted these teams aren’t great but still.

3. And most importantly, the NFL added an extra game to the schedule this year.  It involved an inter-conference opponent that was not in the previous formula.  Ours is Wash.  So not only do we head into KC/Tenn after playing two teams off byes, but we’ve already played our extra game.  I’m glad this is week 5/6 rather than say 11/12 but by then maybe KC and Tenn would have played an extra game too.  

This seems unfair.

Well, at least we beat WFT so our playoff tiebreaker status should be 💯

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Let me break it in two:

1. Based on previous schedules, Washington would not have been a team we played.  They were the extra game.

2. We already played them.

So we’ve already played our extra game.

Who cares and why does it even matter?

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Although correct, it’s more the wear and tear of playing the game than the impact on the record.

We’ve played the same number of games. I really don’t understand what you’re trying to argue with this.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

3. And most importantly, the NFL added an extra game to the schedule this year.  It involved an inter-conference opponent that was not in the previous formula.  Ours is Wash.  So not only do we head into KC/Tenn after playing two teams off byes, but we’ve already played our extra game.  I’m glad this is week 5/6 rather than say 11/12 but by then maybe KC and Tenn would have played an extra game too.  

This seems unfair.

Is this some kind of variation to "winning with NFC opponents hurts our playoff chances" theory?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I remember back when our "extra opponent" was announced as Washington. There were tons of posts here saying that we got screwed and they're a tough team, speculating that their D-line would give us fits. Seems like it worked out just fine.

The schedule doesn't matter, just beat the team across from you each week. If we can beat KC, we'll be in the AFC driver's seat.

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

True, but since the extra game was against an NFC opponent, in reality it’s like playing an extra half game because wins and losses vs. NFC teams aren’t as impactful to the overall W/L record. 

Since the extra game was against an NFC opponent it really would have helped our tie breakers had we lost to WFT.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Let me break it in two:

1. Based on previous schedules, Washington would not have been a team we played.  They were the extra game.

2. We already played them.

So we’ve already played our extra game.

I feel like that's something my wife would have said immediately before I turn the sound up on the TV

Edited by SoMAn
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Since the extra game was against an NFC opponent it really would have helped our tie breakers had we lost to WFT.

This is a salient point and one the league needs to consider moving forward. 

I'm pretty sure our schedule is really fair compared to other teams, like some of the least rest disadvantages in the league.

With every team having bye weeks and also games on Thursdays and Mondays, every single team in the NFL has at least a little rest disparity. Buffalo has a great schedule.

35 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

This seems unfair.

The chiefs just played brutal games against the Ravens and Chargers (after winning a close game against Cleveland) and now must face a touch Eagles team on the road..and then playing Us,  Washington and the Titans.....As brutal as ours if not more.....  Think about it ....The chiefs could possibly be 1-6......Yes it is a possibility because these are all tough teams

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The chiefs just played brutal games against the Ravens and Chargers (after winning a close game against Cleveland) and now must face a touch Eagles team on the road..and then playing Us,  Washington and the Titans.....As brutal as ours if not more.....  Think about it ....The chiefs could possibly be 1-6......Yes it is a possibility because these are all tough teams

The schedule overall is formulaic.  The “when” is not.  We’ve played our extra game and KC has not.

• Eyeroll 1

40 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’m probably making more out of this than need be, but something has struck me as off since the schedule came out.  Two of our tougher games, KC and Tenn; games which could have an impact on seeding, are coming up.  Forgetting the fact that they are back to back….again…..they also come after games which put us at a schedule disadvantage.

1. We play Wash coming off a mini-bye

2. We play Hou coming off a mini-bye

Granted these teams aren’t great but still.

This seems unfair.

Almost every team faces teams coming off byes and mini byes.  Ours happens to be back to back.  We’ve seen much, much worse.

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm.  If so, it would be a good post.  This is nothing to cry about imo.