Does Anyone watch ESPN morning shows anymore?

sistersarah

2 hours ago, sistersarah said:

I was a big watcher of first "Mike & Mike" then later with "Golic & Wingo", Enjoyed the shows very much

Why? Genuinely curious. It's drivel made for casual fans and to be put on at bus stations and waiting rooms.

Going back to the Bills early 90s SB era I would consume alot of ESPN pre and postgame NFL shows, Sportscenter, etc, started dropping off in the 2000s. First Take when they had Dana Jacobsen and Jay Crawford was regular viewing for me but when they decided to center it on Skip Bayless and Stephen A I just couldnt anymore. Skip with his Dallas ballwashing and strange, almost creepy obsession with Tim Tebow, I was done. I will tune in occasionally for the lovely Laura Rutledge and Mina Kimes on NFL Live though but dont go out of my way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JLO said:

Going back to the Bills early 90s SB era I would consume alot of ESPN pre and postgame NFL shows, Sportscenter, etc, started dropping off in the 2000s. First Take when they had Dana Jacobsen and Jay Crawford was regular viewing for me but when they decided to center it on Skip Bayless and Stephen A I just couldnt anymore. Skip with his Dallas ballwashing and strange, almost creepy obsession with Tim Tebow, I was done. I will tune in occasionally for the lovely Laura Rutledge and Mina Kimes on NFL Live though but dont go out of my way.

Thank you for not buying the Mets with A-Rod.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

No.  Not since I retired 5 years ago.   Not that I cared one way or another what they thought about the Buffalo Bills, but I needed something ignorable to listen to on my long commute to and from work.

Mina Kimes does have a charming smile, but that alone is not enough to tune into ESPN.

30 for 30 and live games.  The rest is just noise. I know people love GMF but it's just too loud and obnoxious for me. Especially that early. 

As far as pre-game, I usually watch NFL Matchup off the DVR at 12:30 and the lock in the Bills game and the RedZone . Last Sunday was amazing on RedZone.  Greatest channel ever.  God bless them.

55 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

Four pages and I’m the first to admit I watch an ESPN morning show (occasionally). I watch Get Up during football season sometimes. I really like Dan Orlosky and Ryan Clark, who frequent the show. This segment on the Bears coaching was spot on and Clark was funny. I even laughed at Rex’s comments.

On the Jets last week, Greenberg was funny saying, “I can’t believe I’m saying these 5 words, ‘I miss Adam Gase!’”

Yes, he’s a total Jets homer but he’s very open about it.

Wrecks looks well.  Good restaurants there? 🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sistersarah said:

I was a big watcher of first "Mike & Mike" then later with "Golic & Wingo", Enjoyed the shows very much but when they let Golic go, promoted Greenburg, and changed hosts the network lost me. I was wondering if anyone watches and have you seen how the ratings are. I can't believe for the life of me how Greenburg  has a prominent role on the network.

Also what pregame show do most people watch? Can't stomach Rex, I mainly watch CBS NFL Today.

Thanks!

Thanks for the topic. 

Mike and Mike was always a backup option on morning radio for me. Essentially, they were a recap show if you didn't stay up and watch the night before. It's part of the reason I gravitated towards Colin Cowherd. Because he doesn't spend much time breaking down individual games. He focuses more on team building and league trends. I also listened to some of Lebatard when he was on ESPN because the show brought some originality, but usually the show featured too much Stugotz. 

Mike Golic was the reasonable, Midwest guy. Greenberg was the guy that never played sports, nerdy, dramatic. He was never my favorite listen, because he didn't have any theories as to why things unfolded the way the did, or predictions for the future. Same with Tre Wingo, I was happy to see him get booted from the show. Like Van Pelt, nothing interesting to say.

Now ESPN has nobody in their lineup that I want to listen to. I don't need another dose of Greenberg in the afternoon, or Max Kellerman. Keyshawn is loud, Jason Williams was a bust, and we all know Stephen A. They're thin, and have been in decline for awhile. 

Fox Sports has finally come to a point where they aren't as dependent on Jim Rome wannabees. Guys like JT the Brick, Ben Maller, Tom Looney, all of those guys still think it's the Smack Off. Dan Patrick is a snooze fest, his show is repetitive and geared towards 60 year olds. Clay Travis was borderline ok, if you could stomach his self-congratulations every day and hatred of LeBron James. 

So on radio, nationally, really the only show I listen to is Colin Cowherd. I don't mind clips from the Odd Couple with Broussard and Parker. 

Pregame, I don't watch until the ball is kicked off. All of that stuff is noise. Old players stuck in the past, overrating how good they were, a lot of useless clichés, and everything is geared towards glamour stories. Can Brady win an 8th? Dak/Cowboys. Aaron Rodgers drama. LA is alive again with the Rams and Chargers. Can Mahomes become the GOAT (always obsessed with that acronym)? Constant ranking. 

I generally listen to more local and can't say I learn any more or less from them, than the national guys. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

I woke up to Mike and Mike for about ten years, then Golic and Wingo till they went off the air.  I get their thinking, they want to attract younger listeners.  From what I remember was the same argument when the Bills radio broadcast went to was it 97 Rock in Buffalo and WCMF in Rochester.

But the problem today more than ever with this younger listener argument is younger listeners likely all have unlimited data on their phones and stream everything likely some podcast or some remote station someplace, not ESPN.  It's just more the older crowd who is used to listening to the radio who'll tune in, but not likely as much for the current crew.

• Like (+1) 1