The Edmunds Report - Week 3, WTF's v. Bills, 09/26/21

Freddie's Dead

If the offense can use one player to block one defensive player, it's a win for the offense.

We can see that Edmunds isn't a liability; he's just not a playmaker.  Is not being bad now considered a top 5 player? MLB and RB are the two easiest positions to find competent players in the draft. If a team uses a 1st round pick on them, they better be special. Maybe they should have tried him at Edge rusher first.

He's worth keeping, but he should not get more money than Milano.

Edited by unbillievable

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

On that QB TD run to the right Edmunds was still bizarrely GIVING GROUND in the endzone (adhering to his pass coverage responsibility like a good boy) while Heinecke was already advancing the ball upfield toward the right pylon. It was crazy how late he finally planted a damned foot in the ground and moved toward the actual threat. 

Does anyone else recall that slow-mo replay? I try to be objective on TE, but that play was just mystifying. WTF was he doing staying back WELL after the QB broke the line of scrimmage? I cannot reconcile that play, and I'm afraid it's representative of his passive play in general. 

A running QB puts the defensive player in a dilemma. I thought the same thing when all of the WFT defenders were still guarding their man as Josh waltzed in the end zone.  The Heineke one he was at least hauling. Josh knew he had it and it was almost comical how he took that into the end zone.

Big name players make it to the Pro Bowl when it is no longer deserved. Guys without big names that toil in Buffalo .. only if it is at least somewhat deserved. I am trusting the football people who put him in that game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, timekills17 said:

I dislike this thought process more than I dislike the potential for "overpaying" Edmunds.

Every time I here this I think "No one who understands the NFL and salary caps is concerned about overpaying a player because it will cost *them*. It's because it means money isn't available to pay OTHER BETTER/DESERVING players."

It has *nothing* do to with whose money it is. This is like people saying "The owner is rich; he can afford to pay X$ to some player."

That has absolutely zero to do with. All owners are rich, and all have the exact same amount of money they MUST spend and CAN spend - and no more than that.

If we pay more to Edmunds than he's actually "worth" then we have less money UNDER THE CAP to spend on other players. Which might mean we miss out on acquiring or keeping another player a firm market value who can help the team win.

Just stop with the discussion about whose money is being spent. The discussion is what % of the total amount a team IS ALLOWED to spend makes sense.

Are you speaking about paying another Middle linebacker and if so who is on your mind

If you’re talking about keeping another player then I understand that thought process to Taron Johnson has been creeping into my mind lately

• Like (+1) 1

Considering the Bills are ranked 4th in passing and run D so far, and I expect them to get better with the rooks and 2nd years stepping up, what they are doing seems to be working.

It's not broke and doesn't need fixing.

TE will get better too.

Go BILLS!!

ETA:  With our O finally getting in gear and the D playing like it is, TE is just fine. The only thing I'm concerned about at this point are injuries...knock on wood...

Edited by stosh64
  • Like (+1) 1

He's a good to above average, sometimes excellent, coverage linebacker. His ability to cover sideline to sideline and use his large frame to close distance in passing situations is extremely good. He's almost like a giant nickel corner or extremely large safety.

It's just his run support that holds him back. He over-pursues, takes bad angles and seems to misjudge his closing distance relative to that of the runner or receiver trying to get the edge.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, uninja said:

He's a good to above average, sometimes excellent, coverage linebacker. His ability to cover sideline to sideline and use his large frame to close distance in passing situations is extremely good. He's almost like a giant nickel corner or extremely large safety.

It's just his run support that holds him back. He over-pursues, takes bad angles and seems to misjudge his closing distance relative to that of the runner or receiver trying to get the edge.

It would be nice if we can see Edmunds doing well against TightEnds in coverage. Kansas City, New England, and Tampa Bay will test him.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, MJS said:

Edmunds is generally solid in coverage, but people don't usually see that on the broadcast.

It's just a bunch of fans yelling for no reason. Is Edmunds an elite player? No. Does he suck? No. He makes some plays, he misses some plays, he cleans up tackles, and he is decent in coverage.

He'll have to step up his game if he wants a good 2nd contract.

Every time he misses a play he seems to be perfectly in the middle of the TV broadcast with nobody else around which doesn't help hahaha maybe he's camera shy.  So I think a lot of us don't give him the benefit of the doubt and we're assuming he's bad-average when we don't notice him.

• Like (+1) 1

Edmunds obviously has the prototypical body frame that you'd want in a MLB. Its just that he has the instincts of a potato.

Some call it drive, others aggressiveness. Perhaps its all the above.

Milano is having a great season so far. You see him breaking on the play before the ball even gets there. He's playing with instinct.

Edmunds you rarely (if ever) see him doing that. And if anything he seems to be in no mans land half the time in coverage. Moving 1 way, only to have to pivot & go the other where the play is going. He doesnt seem to be doing much of anything but taking up space out there.  Which perhaps is what he's being asked to do. But i wish he had more aggressiveness. More of an instinct out there. Man wouldn't he be fun to watch in this defense if that were the case.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, brianthomas said:

Edmunds obviously has the prototypical body frame that you'd want in a MLB. Its just that he has the instincts of a potato.

Some call it drive, others aggressiveness. Perhaps its all the above.

Milano is having a great season so far. You see him breaking on the play before the ball even gets there. He's playing with instinct.

Edmunds you rarely (if ever) see him doing that. And if anything he seems to be in no mans land half the time in coverage. Moving 1 way, only to have to pivot & go the other where the play is going. He doesnt seem to be doing much of anything but taking up space out there.  Which perhaps is what he's being asked to do. But i wish he had more aggressiveness. More of an instinct out there. Man wouldn't he be fun to watch in this defense if that were the case.

I've seen the "no man's land" comment twice now.  He's not dropping into no man's land.  Against WTF, he drew constant coverage against Logan Thomas.  Thomas had 4 receptions for 42 yards, one of which was completed against TE (9 yards, TE made the tackle to force 4th down).  TE does his job in coverage.  He is not hurting the Bills at all there.  As far as "instinct", that's hard to quantify.  TE is often not at the point of attack on running plays.  One thing I noticed but did not mention is how many times TE did not line up over center.  More often, he was on the left side of the D.  Believe it or don't, Cookie lined up over center more than TE did.  I will keep better track of that in the next Edmunds Report.

13 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Since Edmunds is still getting so much hate, I'm going to do this weekly.  The PIT game convinced me that much of the Edmunds hate is undeserved, but I want to see if I'm missing anything.  I'll use the same point system -1, 0, +1, and keep a running total.  I'll ignore plays where he's not involved and only look at coverage if he's onscreen (I don't have the All-22).  I'll also flag plays for the haterz so they can skip the rest.  Let's go to the tape.

Excellent work, and pretty much spot on with what the rest of us non-haters have been saying about his play.  Not the best in the NFL at his position, but pretty close to top 10, and probably top 10 still,  and the Bills can do a lot worse than Tremaine.

ONE NOTE on your analysis:  Maybe dont use "TE" to abbreviate his name as it makes it confusing considering there are also a lot of references to Tight Ends where you are also using the same "TE" to identify them given he is frequently covering tight ends in the passing game as well.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Excellent work, and pretty much spot on with what the rest of us non-haters have been saying about his play.  Not the best in the NFL at his position, but pretty close and probably top 10 still and the Bills can do a lot worse than Tremaine.

ONE NOTE on your analysis:  Maybe dont use "TE" to abbreviate his name as it makes it confusing considering there are also a lot of references to Tight Ends where you are also using the same "TE" to identify them given he is frequently covering tight ends in the passing game as well.  

Thanks Dawg.  I reread the report, and I see I used TE at the bottom for tight end.  Sorry, really tried to avoid that.  How about TED?  Sucks for me, it's an extra character (I take all the KB shortcuts I can).

Edited by Freddie's Dead

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Excellent work, and pretty much spot on with what the rest of us non-haters have been saying about his play.  Not the best in the NFL at his position, but pretty close and probably top 10 still and the Bills can do a lot worse than Tremaine.

Agreed.  Instead, he should use POC, short for piece of crap.  

kidding.  Just throwing fuel on the 🔥 

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Thanks Dawg.  I reread the report, and I see I used TE at the bottom for tight end.  Sorry, really tried to avoid that.  How about TED?  Sucks for me, it's an extra character (I take all the KB shortcuts I can).

Maybe use TR or ED for him so its not confused with Tight Ends.  Not a big deal, just would eliminate any confusion if you are referencing him or a TE.  Just highlight that at the top of your post that Tremaine Edmunds will be abbreviated as what ever abbreviation you choose.  Personally I think either of those work just fine.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Maybe use TR or ED for him so its not confused with Tight Ends.  Not a big deal, just would eliminate any confusion if you are referencing him or a TE.  Just highlight that at the top of your post that Tremaine Edmunds will be abbreviated as what ever abbreviation you choose.  Personally I think either of those work just fine.

ED means Edge to me in pre-draft speak and there are still some who'd rather TE played on the ED 😆

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1