Off topic Alabama QBs

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Tua's small frame and inability to stay healthy and weak arm, unless he becomes the next Drew Brees, could make him out of league sooner than later.

Yea, I have heard the narrative that has been said about him since college. Some guys change it, some don't. Too early to say he won't.

5 hours ago, Blainorama5 said:

No.  Not enough time to truly evaluate either Jones or Tua.  It's like suggesting that all Wyoming QBs are awful.  Would normally be a safe assumption, but a few years later, that's clearly not true.  Ask again in another couple seasons.

I think Tua can be judged a bit.

He doesn't really have any good traits which would really concern me if I'm a dolphins fan.

Mac definitely can't be judged yet as he's only played 3 games. And actually looked good in 2 of those 

14 hours ago, Blainorama5 said:

No.  Not enough time to truly evaluate either Jones or Tua.  It's like suggesting that all Wyoming QBs are awful.  Would normally be a safe assumption, but a few years later, that's clearly not true.  Ask again in another couple seasons.

Yea but you saw flashes with Josh... Tua has not had a single flash. Mac Jones has the worst YPA in the league right now.

So far it's true.

11 hours ago, dakrider said:

Yeah it helps when everyone on your team is practically an all-american. 

Tim Tebow while at Florida - his teams were loaded too.

It also helps when 90% of the teams you play have 0-1 guy that will end up in the NFL.

Edited by TBBills

15 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Just was curious does Mac Jones struggles along with Tuas and other Bama QBs finally put to rest any argument that it really is Bamas talent around the QB and not the QB itself that makes them successful.
  Cause I think it’s a large enough sample now that if I’m an NFL GM and I see a highly touted Bama QB I just look elsewhere now since Bryce Young will probably get similar hype in another year or two. 

Considering the fact that after Ken Stabler, the next Alabama QB to become a starter in the NFL was AJ McCarron ... I think the sample size is ample.

I do find it interesting that in a decade or more of complete domination by Alabama football, nobody would call them a QB factory. They have the best, biggest, and fastest players in the country, year after year after year and yet in the modern era of pass happy football quarterback has never been their strongest asset. 

• Agree 1

Tua is too slightly built to be a long term player in the NFL.  I'm saying that as a huge fan of both him and Bama.   My Brother in law is a huge Miami fan, and also a Bama fan, and was on cloud 9 when Tua went to the phins.  He's going to go from one injury to the next and be out of the league in a couple years

Hurts is more substantially built but probably not as skilled as Tua. 

Jones has the best shot at becoming a decent QB.  Its not fair to have him throwing 50 times a game at this stage but we'll have a good sense of him by end of this season

21 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Just was curious does Mac Jones struggles along with Tuas and other Bama QBs finally put to rest any argument that it really is Bamas talent around the QB and not the QB itself that makes them successful.
  Cause I think it’s a large enough sample now that if I’m an NFL GM and I see a highly touted Bama QB I just look elsewhere now since Bryce Young will probably get similar hype in another year or two. 

I'm a big college football fan, living in the heart of SEC country, and follow Bama pretty closely... I've NEVER heard it argued that it is the Bama QBs who carry the team. It is ALWAYS that the running game and defense make up the heart of the team. Tua has been the only true passing QB that Bama has had in recent memory.

Bama QBs have always been overlooked in the draft (and rightfully so).

I think Jones rode a little of Tua's passing hype, but folks still knew what Jones was. I dont think Young will get much hype coming out unless his game improves greatly.

Get back to me in 2 years. Way to early to tell with any of them although Tua they may ruin at the rate its going.

In general to QB's succeed ie: division titles, SB appearance, etc.. 40% ish of the time drafted 1st round. I don't think any college is really a true QB U as much as its the luck of the draw. 

Edited by corta765
  • Agree 1

Including Hurts, Alabama has put 3 QBs in the NFL in the last 3 years.  That pretty much speaks for itself.  As far as QBs with a full set of elite traits are concerned, those are rarities even in the NFL.  I'm sure if Alabama could recruit one, they would, but Nick Saban is competing with lots of other teams, and Saban is not omniscient.  He can also miss on a player, like so many other missed on Josh Allen.  At some point, I think Saban is likely to hit on a QB who has it all.

9 minutes ago, Casey D said:

There has not been a really good QB out of Alabama since Ken Stabler.  Before that, Joe Namath.  The current NFL Alabama grad QBs are going against the last 40 years of history.

Also though, to be fair, what percentage of QBs at any given moment are considered 'good' versus JAG?  20%?   Running with that number, that means there are about 6 QBs considered good in a given year.  Even if it's 10, the Law of Numbers tells us that the chance that in any given year that an Alabama (or Clemson, Notre Dame, whomever) QB will be in that top tier is pretty low.  There are about 130 D1 teams, each has a QB.  It really is a crapshoot who is going to be great and who will be JAG or worse.  We got real lucky this time after whiffing for 30 years.  I will say that when I hear the pundits call someone "the most NFL ready QB of the draft" i assume low ceiling loser like other josh

Out of Tua, Hurts, and Jones, i expect 2 of them will be backups within a couple years and maybe one of them will be a middling QB

19 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea whoops my bad .. idk why I typed Saban I know it was Meyer  

Who also won national championships with a running QB in Tebow

It was a brain fart  

Most successful college programs don't need a top QB with NFL upside... They need someone to run their offense and not make mistakes 

And somebody who could run give you more options in college than someone who will sit in the pocket with limited mobility 

First 2 progressions and run works better in college than going through 5 progressions in the pocket

Helmet scouting is certainly risky, but IMO there is a greater "buyer beware" factor for QBs coming out of schools like Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State.  Those schools are so loaded with talent, and so far superior to most of their opponents, that it can be especially hard to determine whether their success was the result of their own abilities or more a reflection of the talent and the system around them.  For what it's worth, I think Mack Jones is going to be a good NFL QB, and that Tua is a prime example of a QB with average ability who was made to look like a superstar by the talent around them...

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

Helmet scouting is certainly risky, but IMO there is a greater "buyer beware" factor for QBs coming out of schools like Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State.  Those schools are so loaded with talent, and so far superior to most of their opponents, that it can be especially hard to determine whether their success was the result of their own abilities or more a reflection of the talent and the system around them.  For what it's worth, I think Mack Jones is going to be a good NFL QB, and that Tua is a prime example of a QB with average ability who was made to look like a superstar by the talent around them...

I think that you obviously need to scout quarterbacks with a grain of salt that are at those schools 

But it doesn't mean that successful quarterbacks can't come from them

In fact I've watched every snap of Tua and Mac.. and I honestly think Tua is the more talented quarterback

He just might not have the physicality to withstand the rigors of the game 

Before his hip injury he was probably going over burrow ... That really changed the course of his career 

Edited by Buffalo716